Support for Easybox 904 LTE

Hello,
thanks for the effort all, so far.

Unfortunately the newest VPE image from Zuzia does not provide the ability to connect Guest Wifi.
The network can be set up but clients cannot receive IP addresses.

I have tried everything and every guide, firewall off and on, firewall trafic exceptions for DNS and DHCP ports added, none works, no IP address for guests. Again, SSID and authentication works, but no DHCP and gateway.

Before anyone challenges me to post my firewall config, I challenge you to bring up the Wifi guest network actually, as no one actually did it in this thread (everyone has vlan 71 or guest interface commented out), and post how. I suspect it is an error in the Zuzia image or kernel. I wonder if the Plonk image works.

Any help is appreciated.

There was a post from Zuzia about how that is not working and a manual patch (which I did not understand ^^), but that was quite some pages ago.
Problem was in the image before too.

I am also interested in how to build a own image, could not exactly figure that out.

Edit:
Confused it with the eth0.2 issue:

If it was the part about w1010 and w1011 having the same mac, I have read it and made sure my w1011 has a different mac.

1 Like

Yes, I see that point. But, to be more precise:
-) My box is the xDSL variant.
-) Zuzia's image works, and TFTP brings me back to it.
-) How do I correctly build my own image?

I know how to build OpenWRT for other hardware, tried all configurations seemingly reasonable to me and both the fork of QAuge and Plonk34.
But my box just does not run with the resulting images.

Thanks again.

Have you seen/tried this?

Hi there,
the build from 27.05.2021 should work (short tested but not the Guest-WLAN see "note").

QAuges repositorie is the main developing branch he is the guy with the know how

My xrx200-3 is the latest branch it is a adjustment from QAuge on Openwrt + some PR and other stuff for other xrx200 Router
(futured branch will called xrx200-4, -5, ... usw.)

but without some small changes without uboot and the WLAN, screen and touchpad driver
(the extra driver are here: https://github.com/Plonkbong/openwrt-feeds-easybox904-driver
and extra packages here: https://github.com/Plonkbong/openwrt-feeds-easybox904-minpkgset most of them for a working screen)
If you want to see how i exact build them on 27.05.2021
You can see it on openwrt_download_xrx200_snapshot-20210527.191445.tar.xz here are build scripts inside which is my build reproducible
see fullowrtbuild-eb904x.sh and them the function: openwrtsource_prepare.
Here are what i have exact done on 27.05.2021

But

I fear that the openwrt developing is going on and the branch will not working now.
When the underlying openwrt have some small lantiq changes it cost much time and energie to adjust the own branch.
The adjustment sucks and is not possible in future the only solution is to add them to openwrt.
But there is not much interrest to add this Router.

Possible reasons why the fullimage fail:
The fullimage are the init-ram-kernel image, it must be smaller them 5MB, because the kernel-partition where it be write to is ca max. 5MB.
The network configuration was generally changed and the default network configuration is not working.
A short workaround after patching is this:

sed s/"add_list "/"# add_list "/ -i target/linux/lantiq/base-files/etc/uci-defaults/80_wifi_setup
1 Like

Indeed, especially lantiq's recent switch to DSA is very likely to wreak havoc (as lantiq- and realtek switches have a quite peculiar and fragile relation).

Thanks for the explanation @Plonk34

@QAuge do you know whether with these recent images, particularly the VPE editions, it is possible to add the Wifi for guests in a separate vlan for internet access only (as in stock image)?

If not, I will put this router aside for another few months ... I bought already a Fritzbox 7490 to overcome "the challenges" I have with this box.

I've been running the EasyBox 904 xDSL for almost a year now. I'm using a (custom) vpe image, but only use the EasyBox as a modem and to connect a telephone to my main asterisk. WiFi wasn't working well, so I disabled it. I bridge dsl0.7 (because my provider uses VLAN 7) to eth0.7, and then connect via PPPoE from an OpenWRT VM on an Odroid-N2.
I don't have any issues with DSL. I once got an DSL uptime of over 70 days, which was only interrupted because some construction work in the basement tickled the line.
In between I rebuilt the image, mostly fiddling around with framebuffer stuff (summary: it's very slow, who'd have thought). Unfortunately, as this downstream branch diverges from OpenWRT upstream, building against the package stream becomes difficult to impossible.
Also, one issue that did not go away were the ethernet ports. Often, when the EasyBox boots, no ports come up until I randomly unplug and replug the cables. Sometimes unplugged ports show up in swconfig as up.

If the problem persists, use Wireshark to figure out what is actually going on. I had the same behavior/error message on the 904's screen when my tftp server refused the download request for fullimage.img due to incorrect access settings (I'm using tftpd-hpa and it was missing the -s option).

What is the main obstacle for integrating 904 support into the main OpenWRT code base?

Apart from a lot of work, mostly the non-standard BBT markers.

The latter point seems to have been identified as the main roadblock right from the start.
I'm wondering why whatever difference in code there might be, those differences could not be integrated with some #ifdefs or, if the differences in code are too numerous, a completely separate piece of code/driver which can be selected as an alternative when building an OpenWRT image (and is being selected when building for the 904).

Because the kernel is shared by all devices of the lantiq xrx200 (sub-)target, but you need to know the correct BBT marker for reading from NAND (so before you could read out some switch to toggle between normal- and eb904 specific markers). If you'd just add support for the eb904, you'd break support for all other (NAND based-) lantiq devices at the same time.

Switch and wireless are also difficult (but solvable in comparison, you'd 'just' need the leg work to clean up the patches and get them merged), the display is probably not supportable in a meaningful way (just too much stuff needed for a single device, difficult/ lots of maintenance work - but not impossible).

Regarding the BBT modification, I was not referring to a runtime toggle, but rather to a compile-time differentiation. What's wrong with compiling a kernel with eb904-specific markers?

The kernel is shared among all devices, e.g. BT Home Hub 5 Type A (among others).

I started experimenting with this device again. Tbh, I do not have any hopes that this will be merged into the main branch. But we are lucky to have you guys to build custom images :slight_smile:

I am still suffering from the WIFI functionalities. 5Ghz Wifi will not go through even 1 wall...
Do you guys know how to increase the txpower dB on this device? I had no success, unfortunately with the usual commands. It seems the driver does not support this.

Don't worry, of course I will not go above the regulation of my country.

1 Like

Does anyone know how to set the auth mode and encryption? No matter what I put as encryption mode in /etc/config/wireless , /sbin/wifi always defaults back to WEP for all interfaces:

config wifi-device 'wl000'
        option type 'ralink'
        option legacy_rates '0'
        option disabled '0'

config wifi-iface 'default_wl000'
        option device 'wl000'
        option ssid 'EasyBOX'
        option network 'lan'
        option mode 'ap'
        option disabled '0'
        option encryption 'sae'
        option key 'test'

config wifi-device 'wl010'
        option type 'ralink'
        option channel '110'
        option legacy_rates '0'
        option hwmode '11a'
        option disabled '0'

config wifi-iface 'default_wl010'
        option device 'wl010'
        option mode 'ap'
        option ssid 'EasyBOX1'
        option network 'lan'
        option disabled '0'
        option encryption 'sae'
        option key 'test'

~

"wifi reload" output:

scan device: wl000
Shutdown interface wl000
scan device: wl010
Shutdown interface wl010
scan device: wl000
Enable device wl000
DEVICE: wl000 VIF: default_wl000
Encryption: sae
Preparing interface <wl000>

Bring up interface <wl000> to be able to send iwpriv commands
Configure wifi device wl000

Starting wifi device wl000
iwpriv 'wl000' set Enable=1; iwpriv 'wl000' set Enable=0; iwpriv 'wl000' set RadioOn=0; iwpriv 'wl000' set AuthMode=WEPAUTO; iwpriv 'wl000' set EncrypType=WEP; iwpriv 'wl000' set IEEE8021X=0; iwpriv 'wl000' set SSID=EasyBOX ; iwpriv 'wl000' set Channel= ; iwpriv 'wl000' set Enable=1; iwpriv 'wl000' set RadioOn=1
scan device: wl010
Enable device wl010
DEVICE: wl010 VIF: default_wl010
DEVICE: wl010 VIF: default_wl010
Preparing interface <wl010>

Bring up interface <wl010> to be able to send iwpriv commands
Configure wifi device wl010

Starting wifi device wl010
iwpriv 'wl010' set Enable=1; iwpriv 'wl010' set Enable=0; iwpriv 'wl010' set RadioOn=0; iwpriv 'wl010' set AuthMode=WEPAUTO; iwpriv 'wl010' set EncrypType=WEP; iwpriv 'wl010' set IEEE8021X=0; iwpriv 'wl010' set SSID=EasyBOX1 ; iwpriv 'wl010' set Channel=110 ; iwpriv 'wl010' set Enable=1; iwpriv 'wl010' set RadioOn=1 ; iwpriv 'wl010' set Enable=1; iwpriv 'wl010' set Enable=0; iwpriv 'wl010' set RadioOn=0; iwpriv 'wl010' set AuthMode=WEPAUTO; iwpriv 'wl010' set EncrypType=WEP; iwpriv 'wl010' set IEEE8021X=0; iwpriv 'wl010' set SSID=EasyBOX1 ; iwpriv 'wl010' set Channel=110 ; iwpriv 'wl010' set Enable=1; iwpriv 'wl010' set RadioOn=1type or paste code here

Same behavior for sae-mixed, psk2 etc. Is there a second config file that I'm overlooking?

Box is a 904x-vDSL

Hey guys,

unfortunately I can't resolve DNS with the new SMP-Firmware of @Zuzia . Could anyone help to find the problem with an howto next?

I tried to find already in /etc/dnsmasqc.conf some hints and in /etc/config/dhcp, but weren't able to get DNS resolved. Internet-Connection is established and working to ping 1.1.1.1, but no dns. It is not possible from Client-PC nor of EB904. I would love to get some hints, i couldn't find a solution on openwrt-howto-sites....

try option encryption 'psk2+aes'