Stuck after flashing ZTE MF283+

I have one MF283V and it is a different device - router and modem parts are handled by same CPU - it isn't supported currently and until support for, say, MSM8916 lands it'll be very hard to port.

1 Like

Thanks to this thread, I finally understood that tftp booting a ZTE MF283+ does not work with a current OpenWRT sysupgrade image.
It would be nice if https://openwrt.org/toh/hwdata/zte/zte_mf283plus could indicate so.
It claims that the MF283+ does support 23.05.0, so I'm wondering how to install that.
After coming across this thread, I successfully installed 21.02.4 via tftp.
I could upgrade to 21.02.7, but trying any higher release failed: the router did not boot up again, and I had to restore it via tftp.
I hope this will soon be fixed with the next release, and the message from Dec. 2023 above gives hope to this. Until then a warning/explanation on the device's hwdata page would be very much appreciated and would have saved me quite some time.
Also on my wishlist: I think it would be helpful if the image directlty contained the luci-proto-qmi package (cf. https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/wan/wwan/ltedongle)

One thing I noticed: with OpenWRT on that device, an analog telephone when connected to it does not get a dial tone on pickup but a busy tone, indicating that the modem/network is not ready have a call placed. It looks like the modem does not automatically register to the network (even though it has a SIM card with no PIN inserted). With the stock image (which fortunately can be easily reflashed using tftp) this does work even when there is no data network connection enabled (but the SIM must still be registered to the network of course). Is this something that OpenWRT is able to support?

I updated the wiki to set max supported at 21.02.7.
23.05.3 should be functional on this model once again, I have it running locally with my backports.

Regarding voice registration, this maybe is configurable at the modem itself - this may depend on SIM behaviour, too - my unit does automatically register to the network for some reason even with data connection disabled, or so at least it seems.