[Solved] Upgrade issues for WRT1900ACS

After long time of using OpenWRT on WRT1900ACS I have finally decided to upgrade to the most recent build. Unfortunately regardless if I use LUCI or CLI, after upgrade router becomes inaccessible (both at 192.168.1.1 and old netmask). I have used network scanner to check if router is not available by accident at any other address, to no avail.
What I can do is only to revert to alternate flash partition by doing tribple switch on-off procedure with 2 seconds breaks, this reverts back to old OpenWRT version.

Log of sysupgrade looks as below (I have tried newest and older builds, with same results / log output):

root@OpenWrt:/tmp# sysupgrade -v openwrt-18.06.0-rc2-mvebu-cortexa9-linksys-wrt1900acs-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
Saving config files...
etc/config/dhcp
etc/config/dropbear
etc/config/firewall
etc/config/luci
etc/config/network
etc/config/rpcd
etc/config/system
etc/config/ubootenv
etc/config/ucitrack
etc/config/uhttpd
etc/config/wireless
etc/crontabs/root
etc/dropbear/dropbear_rsa_host_key
etc/fw_env.config
etc/group
etc/hosts
etc/inittab
etc/luci-uploads/.placeholder
etc/opkg/keys/af22f7a88858c8e9
etc/passwd
etc/profile
etc/rc.local
etc/shadow
etc/shells
etc/sysctl.conf
etc/sysctl.d/local.conf
killall: watchdog: no process killed
Sending TERM to remaining processes ... logd rpcd netifd odhcpd crond uhttpd ntpd dnsmasq ubusd askfirst
Sending KILL to remaining processes ... askfirst
Switching to ramdisk...
Performing system upgrade...
Unlocking kernel1 ...

Writing from <stdin> to kernel1 ...
UBI device number 2, total 272 LEBs (34537472 bytes, 32.9 MiB), available 0 LEBs (0 bytes), LEB size 126976 bytes (124.0 KiB)
Volume ID 0, size 18 LEBs (2285568 bytes, 2.2 MiB), LEB size 126976 bytes (124.0 KiB), dynamic, name "rootfs", alignment 1
Set volume size to 29204480
Volume ID 1, size 230 LEBs (29204480 bytes, 27.9 MiB), LEB size 126976 bytes (124.0 KiB), dynamic, name "rootfs_data", alignment 1
sysupgrade successful

Please not that log says 'sysupgrade successful', yet after it has finished and waiting several minutes, router is not reachable, there is no internet. Router lights are blinking (internet light as well).

Any ideas what could be wrong? I am considering getting back to stock firmware and trying to flash install image of OpenWRT.

Anybody performed similar path to mine? Will be grateful for any hints!

After trying I discovered that I should use the -n option for sysupgrade, as the old config kept was probably in old format and causing some services not to start. I am now on 19.07 and happy!

1 Like

If your problem is solved, please consider marking this topic as [Solved]. See How to mark a topic as [Solved] for a short how-to.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.