[SOLVED] Unbound / adblock configuration

I use unbound to forward all dns requests to dnscrypt. I would like to add a adblock filter for the dns queries which should stop annoying ads on android devices.
can anyone tell me how to configure that? i found a tutorial https://michael-eder.net/post/2016/werbeblocker-via-unbound/ but i dont know where i should add the link to the blocklist. i used luci to configure unbound. do i have to use now /etc/unbound/unbound.conf? or is this a separate configuration file which is not used when configuring unbound with luci?
i also installed simple-adblock and luci-app-simple-adblock, thought that would configure everything automatically, but it did not. guess i can remove that.
i also found this How to use adblock with DNS-Over-TLS support with Unbound but i dont know what adblock module is in use. opkg search adblock did not print anything except the adblock-simple (i added the repo as mentioned github com/stangri/openwrt_packages/blob/master/simple-adblock/files/README.md)

My simple-adblock only supports dnsmasq. If you use unbound without dnsmasq, check out the adblock package by @dibdot. There's a dedicated thread for it.

Please keep it simple. Unbound supports DNS over TLS natively for "last-mile" encryption, there is no need to over complicate the setup with dnscrypt-proxy. As a setup starting point consult the excellent unbound package readme (https://github.com/openwrt/packages/blob/master/net/unbound/files/README.md).

1 Like

@dibdot thanks for your reply. Just noticed that dnscrypt seems to be abandoned in favor of DNS over TLS. Will configure that tomorrow.

I started with the configuration and the documentation says:
You must install package unbound-control to load and unload leases.

I tried with opkg install unbound-control, but it says:

root@LEDE:~# opkg install unbound-control-setup
Unknown package 'unbound-control-setup'.
Collected errors:
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package unbound-control-setup.
root@LEDE:~# opkg install unbound-control
Unknown package 'unbound-control'.
Collected errors:
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package unbound-control.

what is wierd, i had a similar problem with adblock. I made opkg find adblock, it found it and i was able to install it. Unfortunately, opkg find unbound-control did return nothing.

update: i used again opkg update - now it found the package. feels very strange to me.