[Solved] Trying to install OpenVPN on NETGEAR R6100

Hello, I'm a noob at using OpenWRT and I was trying to figure out how to use OpenVPN with Windscribe VPN.

Router details:

Router: NETGEAR R6100

Firmware: OpenWrt 19.07.9 r11405-2a3558b0de / LuCI openwrt-19.07 branch git-22.045.73925-36e5c1c

Kernel Version: 4.14.267

Have you studied the generic wiki guide?
https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/services/vpn/openvpn/client-luci

1 Like

The R6100 has new builds in snapshot/ath79/nand. Consider converting from the old 19.07 ar71xx.

But as far as OpenVPN it's the same as any other model.

1 Like

I must of have missed that guide! Not sure which one I was following.

I definitely look into that. I was just scared of bricking my main router.

I finally got it setup correctly, but my speeds are very slow. Around 7mbps down, 0.15mbps up. Probably just a limitation of my router, if I had to guess?

AR9344 is not great but it should be capable of upto 10-14 mbps download/upload via ethernet (it will be slower with wifi) in my experience of this SoC.

https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/services/vpn/openvpn/performance

What type of internet connection do you have ? ADSL?

Have you tried a different VPN endpoint, perhaps in same country as your location to see if it is faster?

fwiw, try free ProtonVPN servers for comparison of speeds.

If your problem is solved, please consider marking this topic as [Solved]. See How to mark a topic as [Solved] for a short how-to.

I found a tutorial for WireGuard, and my speeds improved to 22mbps down and 13mbps up. I think my router just isn't good enough to handle OpenVPN. I only really needed the VPN for changing my NAT type (TM-HI is weird, and their router doesn't have port forwarding)

My ISP is T-Mobile Home Internet. My typical speed is around 93mbps down and 94mbps up.

Windscribe VPN has an option to pick the best VPN location, and that's what I used. So, it's the fastest server for me.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.