(networking newbie here)
I've been trying for a while to setup a Wi-Fi router (TL-WR841N aka TL router, 192.168.2.1) as a Wi-Fi receiver in an area without a wired connection so I can have internet access in a PC (connected to TL via ethernet). I've started by trying to set it up using WBS with the default TP-Link firmware, but without success. It seems that the router provided by my ISP (Hitron GVE39320 aka ISP router, 192.168.1.1), which I'm trying to connect to, does not support it. I've decided to try OpenWrt, downloaded it, crossed my fingers, flashed it and everything went smoothly!
It seems that what I'm trying to achieve is described here, I've followed these steps twice but without success.
Troubleshooting (attempt #1)
- TL is connected to ISP router (not sure why it says NONE, the Wi-Fi network of the ISP router has a password)
Wireless Generic 802.11bgn Wireless Controller (radio0) [Signal: -55 dBm / Noise: -95 dBm] 78% SSID: XYZ Mode: Client Channel: 2 (2.417 GHz) Bitrate: 52 Mbit/s BSSID: XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX Encryption: WPA2 PSK (NONE)
- ISP router assigns IP to TL router, that same IP (192.168.1.4) shows up in LUCI
TL IPv4 WAN Status (LUCI Status Network) **Address:** 192.168.1.4 **Netmask:** 255.255.255.0 **Gateway:** 192.168.1.1 **DNS 1:** 192.168.1.1 **Connected:** 0h 9m 17s
- from LUCI I can:
- ping, traceroute and nslookup google.com
- from the PC connected to TL I can:
- nslookup google.com
- from the PC connected to TL I don't/can't:
- have internet access
- ping google.com
- OpenWrt Chaos Calmer 15.05.1 / LuCI 15.05-149-g0d8bbd2 Release (git-15.363.78009-956be55)
- Do I have to setup anything in the ISP router?
- I'm not very confident in the firewall configuration, is there is a good way to post it here?
Please let me know which other info I should provide.
Thank you for the awesome software!