[Solved]My phone private DNS provider not working with Openwrt

Hi,
I use dns.adguard.com in my Android phone settings to block ads, and it worked seamlessly on DD-WRT.
However, with OpenWrt (KONG 23.05 NSS), I encounter an issue – no internet on my Android phone unless I disable the private DNS provider. Can you suggest any changes in OpenWrt options to resolve this? I'm a civil engineer, so I prefer straightforward instructions with minimal programming and more GUI adjustments. :blush: I appreciate your help!

It's an R7800, connected via a LAN cable to the main router. I also use a WireGuard client, but removing the WireGuard interface doesn't fix the problem.

If you use Kong, you have to ask Kong.

3 Likes

I thought it might be related to a basic DNS option common to all OpenWrt versions that I'm not aware of, and someone can refer to it.

Openwrt isn't enforcing the DNS IPs unless you make it.

If you haven't made any changes in the fw, there's nothing stopping the client from using a 3rd party DNS.

But again, that's on stock Openwrt, with Kong, who knows.

2 Likes

Thanks, I will perform factory reset and check again, may be I messed with something when I was setting up the wireguard vpn client.

I don’t really think that line makes your case. Civil engineers are trained to go out by them self looking for the complex answers for complex technical questions usually in spectacular complex multi source text form and then solve the problem.

But this tread will not really go anywhere anyway since it obviously isn’t an OpenWrt install, as already mentioned.
Why not simply install the genuine OpenWrt on your router as step one?

1 Like

I mean I specialize in civil engineering so my expertise doesn't extend to networking and programming. I may struggle to comprehend detailed networking discussions.

NSS cores support?
And I also read in a post, Kong said that his build throughput hits gigabit/sec, with other people were complaining that hnyman build doesn't give them more than 200 mbits/sec.. I don't know.. I just said let's go with Kong build.. but I don't mind installing the genuine OpenWrt.

Anyway I did factory reset with Kong build from my phone, and now the wifi is off by default :man_facepalming:, I have to connect the laptop to turn on the wifi and check the issue.

When using a secure DNS which is configured by name, the phone has to make a regular DNS request to get the IP of the secure server before it can start using secure DNS.

Also make sure the DNS server is accessible through the VPN tunnel. Some services blacklist well-known VPN output IPs.

1 Like

So
I Performed factory reset, same issue still persists with all default Kong build settings.

Try a non-Kong build (i.e. just a standard official stable OpenWrt release) in the near-default state to see if the problem persists. If it doesn't, that suggests there may be something going wrong in the Kong build. If it does, it might be something with your phone.

2 Likes

temp removing the adguard DNS might also be worth trying, or adding it by IP instead of DNS name.

1 Like

Just installed the standard OpenWrt 23.0.5, and the issue is fixed, I can again use the dns.adguard.com from my phone to block ads with no problems.

So it's a @KONG build related issue.

2 Likes

could be the way it's configured from factory, perhaps it blocks all external DNSes by default.

2 Likes

Be sure to report this issue to Kong, or bring this up in the existing thread for those builds. If it is a bug, hopefully this can be addressed. If it is this way by design, there may be advice about how to change the behavior.

Meanwhile, for the purposes of this thread:

If your problem is solved, please consider marking this topic as [Solved]. See How to mark a topic as [Solved] for a short how-to.
Thanks! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Okay
Thanks

1 Like

I just find it little funny this Kong name thing, who is this Kong?
To me this story sound very much like a classic cyber security/criminal case with a totally corrupted firmware and “hey, install this firmware and I give you unlimited speed (and a cryptominer)”.

NSS, well what specific NSS support are we talking about and do you use it or is Kong using it for himself?

Kong used to be a major contributor (and legend!) to DD-WRT but has since moved over to OpenWrt and started contributing in the community builds. I don’t know the rest of Kong’s story and contributions. But Kong is well respected for sure.

4 Likes

Exactly, this is no bug, but the default setting, since HTTPS DNS Proxy is included by default which per default enforces clients to use the routers dns.

FYI, I was the one that initially ported IPQ platform to dd-wrt and Openwrt based their port on that.

BTW, this is the setting:

IMHO in my opinion one should go through all the settings after flashing openwrt, no matter what build, and check the settings:-)

7 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: DNS issues on Android phone with OpenWrt + AdGuard Home

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.