[SOLVED] Formatting a Disk

I am trying to delete my TimeMachine partition using gdisk and use it instead as a general NAS drive. When I do gdisk /dev/sda and 'd' for delete a partition, it just says 'Using 1' and I can't do anything else. What do I have to do? My aim is to somehow get LuCI to recognise the new partition as a general NAS drive I can use for transferring files between both MacOS and Windows.

This is what I get:

GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 1.0.4

Partition table scan:
  MBR: protective
  BSD: not present
  APM: not present
  GPT: present

Found valid GPT with protective MBR; using GPT.

Command (? for help): d
Using 1

You have now deleted the partition - in order to keep using the device, you need to create a new one (n) with the correct partition type (t, type 8300) and write (w) it to disk, before formatting it with mkfs.

Ah I see, when I was block info the /dev/sda it was still showing the old partitions, which is why I thought it wasn't working. In the end I got it to work with the quick start guide for USB drives, and mkfs. Thank you for your help though, I am glad to know how to do it for future as I will be doing it again with an SSD at some point in the future. Working now though, I have my NAS drive! :slight_smile:

If your problem is solved, please consider marking this topic as [Solved]. See How to mark a topic as [Solved] for a short how-to.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.