[Solved] Dlink DWR-116 reverting to OEM firmware

I'm confused about the process of reverting back to OEM because this guide says I have to strip the OEM image. dd bs=32 skip=1 if=original.bin of=original.trx is the command to be invoked? OK but then this is linked next to the command and it is very confusing -

If you wish to upgrade your firmware from OpenWrt without resetting to stock first then you might get:

So does this imply I shouldn't strip DLINK firmware? And strip only when updating existing OpenWrt with another version? Well, that's exact opposidte of the article it was linked in.
Do I need to make this dlink firmware - https ://media.dlink.eu/ftp/products/dwr/dwr-116/driver_software/DWR-116_fw_revA1_1-06b03_eu_all_en_20160519.zip - .trx instead of .bin by stripping it or leave it as it is?

Then I need to do mtd -r write /tmp/original_firmware.bin firmware?
See? This again shows .bin and not .trx
Would that be all?

"Upgrading", when mentioned in OpenWrt documents usually means upgrading to the new version of OpenWrt. So you don't need to worry about that at all. OpenWrt have 2 versions of each release: factory--that's for when you install OpenWrt on a router with stock firmware, and sysupgrade--that's for when you upgrade OpenWrt form a previous release.

By the way, the page you mentioned seems to be form support page for routers based on a totally different chipset.

According to th router page: https://openwrt.org/toh/d-link/d-link_dwr-116

To revert changes, please upload stock firmware via JBOOT recovery service.

Just a "general advice", when in doubt (let that be unsure of the image or the command), I would recommend avoiding flashing via SSH. It's a bit safer to flash from the GUI.

Ethernet cable shows disconnected on the computer? Or connected but you cannot access the router?

LAN led is on on the router?

That's strange. So if you keep the cable in the router, unplug it form the PC the light goes off on the router, you plug it again and the light on the router goes on again, but PC showing disconnected?

And the same cable was working before?

Not necessarily. Let's see if someone will have more info about recovering. Don't give up on the http recovery yet, and there is the serial connection.

Just so that it's clearer for anybody who may be able to help. Did you just reset the configuration form LuCI (like in the image below), or what else did you do?

if you try the JBOOT again, and set your PC IP manually to something like 192.168.123.10 for example, no access to the router still?

Screenshot%20from%202019-02-11%2013-38-32

1 Like

As @lleachii said.

So you will basically press that and keep pressing while you turn the power on until LED start blinking. then only then you release the rest button.

I don't know if the router in JBOOT mode will have DHCP server on or not, so it's good if you can set static IP on your PC in the range (e.g. 192.168.123.10)

Just to clarify what do you mean by "no connection", do you have a red cross on the Ethernet adapter like in the picture below and it says cable unplugged, or do you mean that you just cannot access the router?

That's in the tray? But in the control panel you don't see the connection? I don't know how this is possible. I would expect you to have at least three connection (LAN, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth). An if there is an issue with the card driver then how is it even showing in the tray?!

With the router on and connected to the PC by cable, could you type the following command in a command prompt (CMD) and tell us what you get?

netsh interface show interface

It would be good if you share some screens to help us understand the situation. You could also restart the PC and see if the network adapters will show up.

You should get something like this

Great! Back in business then!!

Now if you set the IP as I explained, the reset and let's try JBOOT!

1 Like

Please refrain from doing this. Be mindful of the posting limit next time. One suggestion - only use one posting to respond to multiple posts in the thread.

1 Like

Well, it makes sense that the connected ports keep flashing while the empty ports stop. Though not sure why do you have two flashing ports unless you have two cables or unless it's something specific to you recovery.

Did flashing complete? (I don't have a D-Link router so I don't know what it should tell you when it's done. But after you are sure flashing is complete, you can reboot the router as normal (no reset button), set you PC IP to automatic, and your should be able to access OEM firmware interface through the default IP, username and password (those should be in the manual).

Again, make sure flashing is COMPLETE before reboot the router. Incomplete flashing could brick the router

What is that?

So now you can access the OEM firmware form 192.168.0.1?

If so, please edit the title of the topic by adding [Solved] at the beginning.