Smallest supported router (AC + Gigabit LAN)

Hi all

I'm searching for the smallest form factor router supporting 802.11ac and gigabit LAN interface. Single port LAN would be just fine. :slight_smile:

Any suggestions? :slight_smile:

gl.inet devices, or some tiny AP.

In addition to the gl.inet devices (choose the Mediatek ones like Beryl), maybe the D-Link DAP-X1860 would suit you as well?

It's a range extender that can be flashed with Openwrt and then gets full router functionality. I use it as a Travel Router with the Travelmate package.

But the power plug might not fit everywhere (I actually though about getting one before), so I went with GL-INET.

I would recommend this one ...

https://git.openwrt.org/?p=openwrt/openwrt.git;a=commit;h=7cbe34170e3d8471c1ebacde33a2372c92433be4

Ah fair point, using with a travel power adapter might not be that desirable...

At least gl.inet comes with different plugs.

The GL-INET's are USB powered, and nowadays many devices are USB powered, one multiport adaptor (non-GaN type since they will negotiate and might reset power during plug/remove of your phones for example) will work.

Personally I have one of the worldwide travel adaptor w/USB power to ensure I am able to work with just a single AC socket will all devices (in Japan most hotels are like this)

Another (future) option could be the Cudy TR3000, it's unfortunately not supported by openwrt today.

802.11ac travel with 100M port, there is TP Link WR902AC, which is also nice.

It's a dying device though, 8/64, I wouldn't buy it today.

Gigabite? Small? No.

topic says gigabit LAN, so probably not for routing.

gl.inet have small gigabit port devices.

I own a slightly better one.....Buffalo WCR-1166DS, however also 100M port....

That pinned topic is, practically, all about the router side and then adds in APs and such.

And for some reason my gut does not trust Gl-Inet...
Honestly: I cannot pin it down.

:spiral_notepad: Maybe it is because they advertise they use OpenWrt and the average person does not understand it is, mostly, not OPEN OpenWrt.
Out of the gate they are false advertising; using the hard work of a community I, kinda, like irresponsibly and falsely.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I went with the GL.Inet Beryl .. which suits my needs just perfect. :slight_smile:

Another GL-inet OpenWrt that is not OPEN.

• 【OPEN SOURCE & PROGRAMMABLE】 Pre-installed the latest stable OpenWrt (19.07.4), backed by software repository. Allows you to install different applications, perfect for DIY projects.

19.07.4 Sept 2020...

Its not you but I'm going to, relentlessly call them out.

it's supported - https://firmware-selector.openwrt.org/?version=23.05.2&target=ramips%2Fmt7621&id=glinet_gl-mt1300

too bad the S&H is just as much as the refurbed device.

Open Source & Programmable**: Pre-installed the latest stable OpenWrt (19.07.4), backed by software repository. Allows you to install different applications, perfect for DIY projects.

Please forgive me actually BELIEVING them...

$53.90 Amazon
:spiral_notepad:Refurbished and not upgraded... ...meh

the gl.inet "lie" about openwrt has been discussed multiple times here at the forum, no need to point out they're full of sh*t, again.

it's also OT in this thread.

I think the new(er) products say "based on", or something like that.

1 Like

Does anyone own one?

Because I would like to read firsthand this 2 core 880mhz soc can do anything more than NAT and Firewall, with no buffering, at a full 1Gb/s with just 1 client; 2 would astound me.

But I'll let it go for now.