Setup D-LINK DWM-222

I follow this topic https://forum.archive.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=59429 but it isn't work for me.
Anyone know how to setup OpenWRT to work with D-LINK DWM-222?

QMI device according to https://osmocom.org/projects/quectel-modems/wiki/D-Link_DWM-222_stick/

Already tried, issue that router (OpenWRT) don't recognize this model with default modes.

https://draisberghof.de/usb_modeswitch/bb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2594#p18223

Obviously you shouldn't need to install any new binaries.

Hi, just want to report that I struggled with getting my DWM-222 to work on a RPi 3B+. But by upgrading the firmware in the dongle on a Windows PC to verion FW 2.0.2 RevA2 - the device becomes an RNDIS device, which makes it very easy to follow the guide on [OpenWrt Wiki] Use RNDIS USB Dongle for WAN connection

Hi, i have a D-Link DWM-222 and i want to plug it in an TP-LINK TD-W8970B, i tryed every single procedurebut no one is funtional i never have the entry in /dev/ttyUSB0 or cdc...! Can any one give me some help? I Need It.

any luck pls?

I have both an A1 and an A2. The A1 worked in QMI-mode at once. I'm not sure what firmware version I have on it, but it might be v1.9.2. I don't think I ever touched the firmware on it.

Anyway, I recently bought another dongle for my travel router. To my dismay the hardware version of it was A2. It sort of worked as a tethering device but I had problems when signal quality was a bit weak and got constant usb resets. Not to mention that tethering means the device NATs you and you get a 192.168.0.* address. I could not figure out how to not have it be an RNDIS device with the bundled firmware.

However, downgrading the firmware to v2.0.1 made RNDIS vanish, and I could at least register it as a serial device by sending its id to /sys/bus/usb-serial/drivers/option1/new_id. QMI doesn't work (but this may be due to an old kernel - my experiments were on a GL-inet AXT-1800 which runs stock firmware with Linux v4.4), but it does work as a serial device. I've read somewhere that A2 should support QMI, but on the other hand /sys/kernel/debug/usb/devices revealed no unclaimed entries... Anyway, in serial mode it establishes a WWAN connection, I get an isp-provided ip-address and the usb resets vanished. All this with GL-inet's OpenWRT derivative. Think it's based on v21. The AT-interface is found at /dev/ttyUSB1.

@tsjk Hi I am a fresh person working on the DWM-222, I am also struggling to downgrading it from the RNDIS mode to older firmware.

Would you please help me regarding how you manage to downgrade it from higher version to V2.0.1, are you using V2.0.1 OP?

Thanks

Answering here since I struggled with this too. I tried to run the firmware updater for DWM-222 rev A2 firmware 2.0.1 in Windows while already being at 2.0.2 and the update script would not recognize the device and eventually time out/quit. I assume this happens because the device gets new USB product IDs once it gets updated to 2.0.2.

So I run the updater again, and while the updater was trying to find the device, I unplugged and replugged the dongle, and it seems that for a short while the device reports as an ID recognized by the 2.0.1 update script and this triggered the update to continue.

IIRC it then proceeded to flash the different partitions of the memory, and at the very end it got stuck (once flashing the "CD" image I think) but it was late enough that the important part had already been downgraded. I took the risk and unplugged the dongle then and it was working on 2.0.1 (including QMI, but I just tested with standard Linux and not OpenWrt). I imagine that trying to reflash 2.0.1 if you're already 2.0.1 should complete without issues, but I didn't take the risk since it was working for me.