Setting up Linksys EA8300

I'm setting up my EA8300 router and I've noticed the warnings about the IPQ40XX devices on the latest builds. Specifically the install instructions for the router mentioning the 3MB kernel partition needing to be increased after installing, and an open bug report that says the latest snapshots are not bootable as seen here on Github.
My questions are, with these 2 things in mind, what is the newest version I should be able to safely flash and is this only affecting dev snapshot builds or is the stable branch also affected?

Hi.
I will answer based on my experience of the MR8300.
Actually the safest is 22.03.3 stable. Both 22.03 snapshot and master snapshot fail to boot. I'm not even sure that 22.03.4 will boot.

EDIT : there is no need to change the kernel partition size for installing a 22.03 stable. This is only need for a snapshot (and future 23.xx) ... that actually doesn't boot due to a kernel bug.

I see. Stable should be ok then, thanks. I'll get that installed now.

I have three EA8300 and have had no problems with them. The latest stables runs great.

Right, but it does still say you should change the partition size for future updates and it won't affect even the stock firmware. There's a fairly generous amount of flash so an extra 2MB used won't hurt. I'll be ready for updates when it's stable.
Thanks for the answer, I have the stable 23.03.3 loaded now and it's working well as a bridge with relayd.

I know ... I wrote this in the wiki :joy:

If you can, use WDS instead. It renders better performance and has easier configuration. I'm using this on the MR8300.

Guys, i have the same device but mine have HK
like this ea8300-hk, do you think it's possible to flash openwrt here because it has the same specs as linksys ea8300

What does HK mean? Is it a country code such as Honk-Kong?
I guess this is purely commercial, so you should have indeed the same hardware. Hence you can flash. Take care of the boot partition tweak (read wiki).

1 Like

How is the wifi performance in iperf? can it reach 400mbps? I want it to use in Wireguard vpn too

Long story short

Welp, I guess i'm going to stick to my Mi Router 4AGE openwrt

22.03.5 is stable as well

Has anyone use 23.05 with EA8300 how is the performance

Hi are you referring to 23.05.0 or 22.03.5?

I've had no problem with 23.05.0 on my EA8300s.

Same here with a MR8300 on 23.05. It works just fine.

Thanks @jc1685 @badulesia

Did settings persist with this device switching to dsa?

No, don't save settings when you upgrade to 23.05.0. Make sure to read the device page and increase the kernel partition size before installing.

I switched the MR8300 to kernel 5.15/DSA about a year ago. You MUST rebuild it from scratch when installing 23.05. So no, don't keep settings when switching.

Mine is hk also and it's ok to flash.just make sure to change kernel partition.i just followed the instructions of mr jack on youtube.