Rpi4 < $(community_build)

5 GHz support has some serious countrycode issues right now due to OpenWRT missing a few brcmfmac patches that are only in raspi-specific kernels and not mainlined for some reason.

I just gave @anon50098793 a link to a patch file in another thread that will hopefully resolve a lot of the issues, and sometime next week (I've ran out of time for OpenWRT hacking until after a family visit this weekend) I'm going to kick off the process of trying to get the patches included formally in OpenWRT.

3 Likes

@anon50098793 have you updated the image of pi4 for 5GHz?

@neil1 if you are referring to the patches above, it will be some time before these are in pr form / approved within master.

if you are really keen to try them... what you should do is setup a buildroot environment, apply the patches and see how it goes

be sure to provide feedback in the relevant thread / pr... so we know that it is beneficial and stable prior to pushing it out to every single build user... ( many of which use auxillary ap's which is the preferred method for wireless as stated in the README in the git repo )

@anon50098793 ok Thank you, I will wait for the patch.

1 Like

Just dropping in to say thank you for this. Very painless way to get back into OpenWRT. Everything I needed came ready to go, right out of the box. Even for my 4G USB stick backup WAN!

1 Like

@anon50098793 First of all thanks for all the effort.

Would you consider using the Github releases feature?
I find it hard to track the releases when the repo is reinitialized with every release.

2 Likes

totally get where you are coming from... alas... i find git hub releases kinda hard... and git in general...

so releases are labelled, i.e.;

rpi-4_snapshot_1.5.17-2_r14176
[model] [orelease] [localversion] [obuild-id]

the key relevant information is the localversion

• 1 means testing / infancy / unpolished
  • second digit/s indicates kernel vermagic / other significant change
  • third digit/s indicate new release and - indicate rebuilds

if/when the build reaches 2.0... i'll see what I can do re: tidying names + streamlining release tracking...

as it stands everything is still kind of new so, i definitely do appreciate the feedback...

I have one more issue
I have deleted the wan6 interface but still pi4 has assigned ip6 address and DNS to my PC. Why is that? I don't want ipv6 on my LAN network.

Why? It's generally more trouble than it's worth trying to disable it across various devices, especially as it does little harm even if you're not using it.

2 Likes

Likely ula assignment (fd...), which is not build specific... ( will happen on any build )

Don't need to delete the WAN6.

Just go into Network, then interfaces, at the top is a tab called "Global Network Settings" so click on that, and you'll see a box saying IPV6 ULA prefix... Delete the details in that box and save it.

Then head back to the main Interfaces section, and hit edit on the LAN, pick the DHCP server tab, then the IPV6 settings tab, inside youll find 4 option boxes, Router advertisement service, DHCP-V6 service, NDP proxy and DHCP-v6 mode, mark them all disabled then save and apply. Reboot router and device.... No more IPV6 but if you ever want it again it's easy switched back on.

1 Like

but it is still assigning my PC with IPV6 address.

Annotation 2020-08-18 175556

You need to disable IPv6 in Windows. (Or you could just not worry about it as it won't do any harm being there)

1 Like

Link local IPv6 address will always be there, as long as IPv6 is enabled on the Operating System. This doesn't have to do with OpenWrt.

2 Likes

I have one more question. Is it better to use QOS or SQM?
and with pi4 SQM i experiencing packet loss when i hit max speed of internet from ISP.

that is a bi-product of how sqm/qos works

please ask general questions in the general forum...

heads up on new feature for advanced users re: power savings + security... in next release

LUCISSHON=1

in case it's not obvious, when enabled... luci(uhttpd) will be fired up upon ssh connection ( and stopped on disconnect). manually enabling uhttpd will override this feature ( i.e. it will disable on install... thereafter, if you manually enable uhttpd this does nothing )

3 Likes

I have a question. If i update my pi4 with this image will the installed packages not mentioned in the list will be updated or they will be removed?. What if there are conflicting packages for example ad blocker and simple ad block?

1 Like

Anything you've added on top of the packages in the image will be removed.

2 Likes

using the above is one option you have to avoid conflicts...

from a command line use '-k' in sysupgrade... then after reboot is all finished...
edit: -k is now the default... and -R will attempt to re-install packages...

opkg update && opkg install $(cat /etc/backup/installed_packages.txt | tr -s '\t' ' ' | cut -d' ' -f1)

( as mentioned earlier... these are only really handy of you upgrade alot... it takes 1-2mins to manually just remove adblock and install simple adblock and similar for other packages removed or added.... each time you upgrade... either by ssh or luci )

1 Like