Rpi4 < $(community_build)

Got a brand spankin new rpi4b with 2 brand spankin new 32gb sd cards. i flashed one with the community build community-build-rpi.21.02.4.64-21.02.0-26797-1.0.3-7-r16279-ext4-fac.img. I booted up this thing for the first time, connected to my laptop and noticed first thing is that none of the options I change are actually saved when I press apply. also under global network options, http://192.168.1.1/cgi-bin/luci/admin/network/network It tells me the IPv6 ULA-Prefix is invalid, it is by default set to auto, which is Highlighted in red indicating something wrong. I can change it to anything I want but the settings are once again not saved. I tried the official 21.02 build from the firmware selector and that works fine. Tried my second brand new sd card and no change.

So what am I doing wrong? :confused: I read the documentation did I miss something?

1 Like

tested factory flash/boot of;

rpi4.64-21.02.0-26797-1.0.3-7-r16279-ext4-fac.img.gz

was unable to reproduce any issues

I got it, my mistake. Usually is the end user mistake after all right?....

I guess one has to reboot after the first successful boot up of this build for any changes to be saved. I wasted an hour on that one LoL. Literally nothing would save. In my frustration I would power the thing off and reflash the card with different builds without ever actually doing a complete first reboot. Maybe you might consider putting that in the instructions. Or did I miss that? I looked, but didn't see it. One thing I noticed, the nice background and custom UI is not available on the first boot along with no ability to save changes. thats the tell tale that a reboot is needed once things settle down. so, my bad on that one...

I gotta say though You got a nice build there but man that's a lot of extra packages! I am conditioned to a 128MB flash device with 106MB usable space. Now I have 32 gigs and I don't know what to do. I kinda feel nekked LoL. It;s a lot of extra packages I don't need, but I have gigs and gigs of space that;s not getting used so what does it hurt? I guess I need to re adjust the parameters of the minimalist in me.

Any ways, Thank You for the build. I kind of have an idea of how much time is spent on these things. You should get a Pm in a few mins about donations.

1 Like

your experience was a-typical... suspect your os maybe mounted the drive additionally... so when it was removed the rootfs was not ok...

so on firstboot in your case it was read-only...

Next question, when doing cat /proc/cpuinfo it shows each cores bogomips value is 108.00 whats up with that? Thats 432 total.

I've got an old Ac68U thats a 2 core broadcom a72 800mhz soc and using openwrt 21.02 it gets a bogomips score of 801 per core thats 1602 bogomips total.

got a 3rd router, a netgear 6080 with a aincent single core mipsel-k24c at less then 700mhz and it gets a bogomips score of over 350!

I know bogomips is a very rough indicator of cpu performance but it cant be that badly off can it? This pi runs circles around my Ac68U in wireguard, cake and general everything else, but why is bogomips so low? BTW I did set the cpu gov to performance in rc.local using echo performance > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy0/scaling_governor and I did reboot.
Any ideas?

2 Likes

I knew it was pretty rough but wow. Thanks for that. Next question is there a cpu test of performance available to OpenWRT so that we may compare performance? I tried to search this forum and OpenWRt packages but had no luck finding anything, which sup-prized me.

only thing I know of is running iperf3 on yourself by using 127.0.0.1 as the ip. But I already made a thread about that in the hardware section of this forum.

something like stress or stress-ng would likely work... others often use openssl speed for a similar metric...

I have a minor problem, not sure if I need a separate thread:

I'm using 3.5.75-7 and I have two devices configured in wireguard

config interface 'wg0'
	option proto 'wireguard'
	option delegate '0'
	option listen_port '44767'
	option private_key '****************'
	list addresses '10.200.200.1/24'

config wireguard_wg0
	option description 'TM-Hugo'
	option public_key '********************'
	list allowed_ips '10.200.200.3/32'
	option route_allowed_ips '1'
	option persistent_keepalive '25'

config wireguard_wg0
	option description 'laptop-hugo'
	option public_key '******************'
	list allowed_ips '10.200.200.2/32'
	option route_allowed_ips '1'
	option persistent_keepalive '25'

Both devices connect Ok, the problem is the Luci Network -> interfaces -> wg0 -> peers screen, where I'm not able to modify any of these parameters, so I have to edit the /etc/config/network file.

1 Like

thanks moody...

give it a small while (max a few hours), to see;

• if others are getting the same...

thankfully hand edits are possible :face_with_raised_eyebrow: how did the nut packages go?

best guess at this stage is probably build related...

• if you are using argon... can you please test bootstrap?

likely unrelated official info

so there was this recent thing (status page not showing) that was afaik resolved by that build (1 report)

( would not bother downgrading to 21.02.0 just now if you can live with hand edits for a week or two... next stable may be imminent so best to hold off for that )

Thanks

Great. I have an APC BE700GR connected to one of Pi's usb2 ports, ENABLEDSERVICES="nut-server banip adblock mosquitto" and /etc/packagesinstall.txt contents are:

nut
nut-common
nut-server
nut-upsc
nut-driver-usbhid-ups

I don't feel the need to orderly shutdown processes in the Pi running OpenWrt but I have other needs:

My QNAP NAS is configured to shutdown with a 10 mins power break and to not restart when power is back. I'm using WOL to awake it when UPS battery is >30% with the following script (executed every 20 minutes):

#!/bin/sh
if [ `upsc qnapups battery.charge` > 30 ] && [ `upsc qnapups ups.status` = "OL CHRG" ] || [ `upsc qnapups ups.status` = "OL" ]; then
	etherwake 24:5e:be:0b:81:28
	etherwake 24:5e:be:0b:81:29
fi

As I have some zigbee lights that switch on after a power break I also use OpenHab (running in the QNAP NAS) to monitor UPS status and switch off lights if needed.

I could have QNAP NAS acting as nut server but I would not be able to switch it on only when battery has enough charge, so I prefer to have nut server in OpenWrt.

1 Like

I was using argon. With bootstrap it's ok.

1 Like

New to this thread and to ORT in general, looking for some help on this RPI build. How do I disable the argon theme? Not really my style and seems to render things out of area on my phone and laptop. If there are other themes to choose from then maybe switching themes would do, however, I don't know where and how to switch themes

System -> System -> Language and Style -> Design

1 Like

finally gotten around to bumping argon(2.2.9)...

• (unaware users can find settings in luci>system>argonconfig)
  • (old /etc/dark is no longer used)
  • (colors may be a little jumpy for the first few builds)

use-firefox-minor-css-issue-to-still-fix

i'm finding (possibly my 6month? old) chromium has some issues with how
it pulls down the css/caches but firefox seems maybe ok...
(pretty sure jerry advises chromium... but... ffox may be better for now)

anyone using 'current'+argon let me know if chromiumVSfirefox
works(or doesn't)... the issue happens when a page first loads(first i.e. not that many) the css does not... (but clicking refresh usually fixes)

(3.5.99-25_r17795+)

issue could be on my side... but...

or if anyone hails from the far east(well north from here) and can read/check these issues for
anything to do with css not loading
Failed to load resource: net::ERR_TOO_MANY_RETRIES
https://github.com/jerrykuku/luci-theme-argon/issues
(i can use a translator maybe on an issue or two)

2 Likes

Hmm. Never knew there was such a page showing real-time stats, but mine just stays on “collecting data” even if I leave it for 5 mins

Any ideas? On latest build

1 Like

the 'rate' page in realtime graphs... is provided and generated by nft-qos

(modded: there is a custom uci option for this nft-qos.default.monitor_enable='1' which is default on)

enable and start nft-qos /etc/init.d/nft-qos enable; /etc/init.d/nft-qos start (or luci > system > startup) to populate the backend collection rules...

to permanently enable on upgrade add nft-qos to ENABLEDSERVICES at /root/wrt.ini

its really light weight... so most people can add this without worrying about extra load... ( the rest of nft-qos is dormant and inactive )

1 Like

Thanks! Will check it out

1 Like

Im very confused regarding how to "expand the filesystem" in order to use the full diskspace of the sdcard after flashing.

I found multiple resources but am unsure which one is correct and will not mess up my whole device after following it.

e.g. https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/additional-software/extroot_configuration, https://bugs.openwrt.org/index.php?do=details&task_id=2951 or Expanding OpenWrt squashfs image? (SDcard) - #7 by hc62 or https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/installation/installation_methods/sd_card#expanding_the_filesystem

What must I do to have the full capacity of the sdcard usable?

check you have ROOTFSEXPAND=1 in /root/wrt.ini then sysupgrade...