Rpi4 < $(community_build)

Thanks, sorted. Flashing to newest major now. Again, appreciated, especially first thing in the morning!

1 Like

yeah... half my doing, would have been better in the devel/ folder...

let me know how your interrupts are looking on the newer build...

1 Like

speaking of the CM4...

was pretty impressed to see it's booting 30% faster than a normal pi... (edit: overclocked)

likely due to less crap in the dts... (or being the wifi less model)

All looks good. Noticeably snappy performance across the board. Good work.

I have noticed a new firmware for Pi 4 rpi-eeprom from March 2021. I could not check what firmware I have in my OpenWRT Pi 4. Do I need to manually update it with SD card, via CLI, or does the OpenWRT boot image already include it?

1 Like

good question...

verbage

the built in command;

rpi4_eeprom.sh update #dont run, read below first

just tested it now...

• is tied to a specific githash... (current as of today)

• this is kinda good because I'd prefer not to have to troubleshoot devices when testing eeproms are user installed... I need to stay a month or so behind the curve minimum once newer eeproms are released until a few users test out eeproms and report back benefits / problems

NOTE:
future users with CM4+emmc should consult rpi-documentation carefully

if you go to; luci > system > custom commands [rpisupport]

and type in;

eeprom-update

(to use recommended version then reboot)

special-hash-provisions
eeprom-update 34b752e8be6ba41f27f0348a9711107946150c9a
(possibly on first run only... have not tested this recently after I changed a fair bit of script logic)

it should fetch that (your chosen) more recent hash to work from if a newer one becomes available in the future you wish to test...

command line equivalent

/bin/rpi4_eeprom.sh fetch <HASH> #not needed if you want to use recommended version
/bin/rpi4_eeprom.sh update
reboot
alternatives

the alternatives are;

• use a raspbian sdcard
  • or use a blank fat32 sdcard with just the update files

• the typical 'vcgencmd' commands as listed in all the raspberrypi documents all function on OpenWrt...
  • 'rpi-support.sh' will also show you firmware information (or just click run in luci)
2 Likes

Thanks for your quick response. I think I will keep the current firmware since I don't want to risk the reliability of the the build.

no risk at all... you will get better performance and reliability if you update... I recommend it...

thanks for the question tho'... had not yet placed these instructions in an easy to get to place... so you've helped others find this info more easily...

This works, thank you. Just to make sure people have all the info, there is a page describing ways to update Rapberry Pi to the new bootloader/eeprom here:

The changelog is here. Ton of improvements to the eeprom since Pi 4 came out for example, most noticibly the improvements to power draw and overheating. The latest stable should be used:

after an update 3.2.100-63 via luci

SatJul2404:07:592021 Could not find plugin "dns" in /usr/lib/collectd
SatJul2404:07:592021 is configuration for the `dns' plugin, but the plugin isn't loaded. Please check your conf
SatJul2404:07:592021 Parsing the config file failed!

did you forget to remove dns from collected cfg? I know it's not even a minor issue. I just want to mention it. thank you

1 Like

New user here, spent an hour searching as it must have been answered before, but...

While I'm waiting for my UE300 adapter, I wanted to get some configuration done and apply some updates. Cable modem is in the basement, so wired isn't exactly convenient. I'd like to enable wifi and connect to my existing SSID as a DHCP client so I can continue with setup. Pointers to some existing docs?

Have anyone using adblock function? Whenever I upgrade to new version, the adblock becomes unusable. I need to remove and install it again. Often, I need to erase and reinstall OpenWRT to make the fucntion work. Have anyone got the same problem?

1 Like

https://forum.openwrt.org/search?q=ENABLEDSERVICES%20topic%3A69998

fwiw... this is the current sanitized(commonstuffstripped) set of options i'm using...

ENABLEDSERVICES="sqm adblock banip"
DLWRAPPER=1
DLWRAPPER_CHECKPERIOD="weekly"
#################################
ROOTFSEXPAND=1
POWERPROFILE="quicker"
UPDATECHECKPERIOD="twicedaily"
UPGRADEsFLAVOUR="stable"
OPKGFEEDS_USEHTTP=1
OPKGFEEDS_DOMAIN="downloads.cdn.openwrt.org"
WWW_EXTRAS="ytdl editor ttyd"
LUCIQRCODES=1
YOUTUBEDL="/usbstick/downloads_usb"
YOUTUBEDL_NOAUTH=1
COLORASH="random"
COLORBASH="random"
RCSHBASH=1
RCSHDDIR="/usbstick"
RPIUARTALT=1
RPICASEGPIO=1
RPI4_STATUSLED="led18"
ttyDEV="/dev/ttyACM0"
RPI4QOS_VERBOSE=1
RPI4QOS_IPSETPERSIST=1
PACKETSTEERING=1
PERFTWEAKS="default"
SMBUSER="kedicik"
SMBPASSWD="FAKEPASS"
SMBUID="1000"
SMBSERVER="10.2.3.6"
SMBSHARE="downloads"
SMBMNTPNT="/downloads"
GSSWITCH_IFACE="br-lan"
GSSWITCH_MAC="9C:MACADDR"
GSSWITCH_PASS="FAKEPASS"
HARDENING_LEVEL="medium"
DWC2_GADGET="g_ether"
CHROOT_BASEDIR="/usbstick/_z_chroots"
NET_DUMMY_NUM=2
defaultwificountry="AU"

I am using simple ad block instead of adblock. It is working fine so far.

1 Like

thanks neil1...

this is the whole reason ENABLEDSERVICES exists with stuff default disabled...

without it... it's not possible (reasonably) to include conflicting or resource consuming packages within the build...

I know it creates doubts/confustion for many... and puts them off using the build... but embracing these options allow for seamless sysupgrades

by conservative calculations...

2 hours x 30 users x 3 reinstalls = 180hours

approx 7 days of human life

saved :scream_cat: ... not bad at all...

(although not intially... I now semi make use of @vgaetera s opkg-script logic (thankyou) which has probably saved in excess of 3 months of human life cumulative!)
example-from-current-devel
[ /usbstick 47°] uci show opkg; uci show servicestate

opkg.rwm=rwm
opkg.rwm.added='luci-theme-argon' 'taskwarrior' 'tvheadend'
opkg.rwm.removed='wipe'

servicestate.current=current
servicestate.current.enabled='/etc/init.d/adblock' '/etc/init.d/banip' '/etc/init.d/boot' '/etc/init.d/bootstatus' '/etc/init.d/collectd' '/etc/init.d/cron' '/etc/init.d/dnsmasq' '/etc/init.d/done' '/etc/init.d/dropbear' '/etc/init.d/firewall' '/etc/init.d/fstab' '/etc/init.d/led' '/etc/init.d/log' '/etc/init.d/luci_statistics' '/etc/init.d/network' '/etc/init.d/nlbwmon' '/etc/init.d/odhcpd' '/etc/init.d/openvpn' '/etc/init.d/persistentdata' '/etc/init.d/persistentlucistatistics' '/etc/init.d/persistentnlbwmon' '/etc/init.d/rngd' '/etc/init.d/rpcd' '/etc/init.d/sqm' '/etc/init.d/sysctl' '/etc/init.d/sysfixtime' '/etc/init.d/sysntpd' '/etc/init.d/system' '/etc/init.d/ucitrack' '/etc/init.d/uhttpd' '/etc/init.d/umount' '/etc/init.d/urandom_seed' '/etc/init.d/wpad'
servicestate.current.disabled='/etc/init.d/acme' '/etc/init.d/alpine1' '/etc/init.d/atd' '/etc/init.d/atftpd' '/etc/init.d/darkstat' '/etc/init.d/dbus' '/etc/init.d/ddns' '/etc/init.d/eoip' '/etc/init.d/etherwake' '/etc/init.d/fakeinternet' '/etc/init.d/gpio_switch' '/etc/init.d/grafana' '/etc/init.d/https-dns-proxy' '/etc/init.d/irqbalance' '/etc/init.d/modemmanager' '/etc/init.d/mosquitto' '/etc/init.d/mwan3' '/etc/init.d/netserver' '/etc/init.d/ntop' '/etc/init.d/open-iscsi' '/etc/init.d/pservice' '/etc/init.d/quagga' '/etc/init.d/rssileds' '/etc/init.d/simple-adblock' '/etc/init.d/snmpd' '/etc/init.d/snort' '/etc/init.d/socat' '/etc/init.d/travelmate' '/etc/init.d/usbmode' '/etc/init.d/vpn-policy-routing' '/etc/init.d/watchcat' '/etc/init.d/wireshark-helper' '/etc/init.d/xinetd'
1 Like

Thank you so much, :innocent:

I just upgraded to latest build without any issues and I have added services to
SYSTEM > STARTUP > LOCALSTARTUP

ENABLEDSERVICES="sqm simple-adblock https-dns-proxy"

it just upgraded without any issues and these services are working without making any changes or starting them manually after every update

1 Like

I think you've upgraded twice... since ROOTFSEXPAND was enabled...

did your disk get expanded?

df -h | grep root; dmesg | grep -i expand

( thanks to @oskari.rauta for adding parted to OpenWrt packages repo... made this task alot easier )

3 Likes

yes, now it is 29GB

1 Like

in brief steps;

• set your wireless radio0 country (after you set it in raspbi(an|OS))
  • enable and restart wpad
  • fire up travelmate and see how you go

other than that... you'll have to poke around or ask on the general forum...

collectd-mod-dns has been in my packagesremove.txt for the last few months as I found it would put collectd into a crash loop every few days.

I’d vote it to be removed unless there are active users :slight_smile:

2 Likes