Rpi4 < $(community_build)

hmmmm did you recently run an update upgrade?

from version1:? to version2:?

I think your ini file may have become corrupted or something... can you pm me;

cat /root/wrt.ini

sorry it is there now
was not there during initial start up

stable uptodate: 3.2.100-11  twicedaily[refresh]  [backup]  [ytdl]  [editor]  [tty] 
1 Like

yeah... all sorts of whacky things can happen if you login before the first 3minutes...

thanks for testing and reporting back...

it's a good place to remind people to be careful when editing those parameters...

exposing PARAMETERS to users was the simplest way for me to give non command line natives tunables... but it has a HUGE flaw...

if someone messes up some basic syntax rules... it could render the whole thing stuffed (back to a fresh factory)... i.e.;

SOMEPROPERTY="leaveoff_rabbit_ear

would likely break everything...

1 Like

If you are DDing the whole image try this after. Works like a charm.

@KnowNothing yea they recommend their 15.3W ps on Rpi4 to make sure there is enough power: https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/type-c-power-supply/

Also make sure to have the latest rpi-eeprom (firmware) because they've dramatically reduced power consumption and thermal throttling since the Rpi4 came out.

It's well described in articles such as:

Also 64-bit support is coming from the Raspberry Pi OS, currently in beta:
https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspios_arm64/images/

I overhauled the OpenWrt Raspberry Pi doc page today with this info too.

Somehow I got stuck on version r17101 and the packages aren't updated via opkg because they don't exist for that version anymore. Is there a way to fix this without starting from scratch on a different version? I tried updating via Luci but it didn't like the sysupgrade image.

this build (3.2.69) was never published via the autoupdate or in the README...

did it say _cm4 or _dfrobot or something when you downloaded it?

what packages did you need?

why not?

When trying to update, it uploads the imf.gz file and it gives me the following

Just hit update list again and they updated. Assuming you put the files up for me. Appreciated.

edit /lib/upgrade/rpi4.sh and remove the r before the '#' around line 650+

Thanks, sorted. Flashing to newest major now. Again, appreciated, especially first thing in the morning!

1 Like

yeah... half my doing, would have been better in the devel/ folder...

let me know how your interrupts are looking on the newer build...

1 Like

speaking of the CM4...

was pretty impressed to see it's booting 30% faster than a normal pi... (edit: overclocked)

likely due to less crap in the dts... (or being the wifi less model)

All looks good. Noticeably snappy performance across the board. Good work.

I have noticed a new firmware for Pi 4 rpi-eeprom from March 2021. I could not check what firmware I have in my OpenWRT Pi 4. Do I need to manually update it with SD card, via CLI, or does the OpenWRT boot image already include it?

1 Like

good question...

verbage

the built in command;

rpi4_eeprom.sh update #dont run, read below first

just tested it now...

• is tied to a specific githash... (current as of today)

• this is kinda good because I'd prefer not to have to troubleshoot devices when testing eeproms are user installed... I need to stay a month or so behind the curve minimum once newer eeproms are released until a few users test out eeproms and report back benefits / problems

NOTE:
future users with CM4+emmc should consult rpi-documentation carefully

if you go to; luci > system > custom commands [rpisupport]

and type in;

eeprom-update

(to use recommended version then reboot)

special-hash-provisions
eeprom-update 34b752e8be6ba41f27f0348a9711107946150c9a
(possibly on first run only... have not tested this recently after I changed a fair bit of script logic)

it should fetch that (your chosen) more recent hash to work from if a newer one becomes available in the future you wish to test...

command line equivalent

/bin/rpi4_eeprom.sh fetch <HASH> #not needed if you want to use recommended version
/bin/rpi4_eeprom.sh update
reboot
alternatives

the alternatives are;

• use a raspbian sdcard
  • or use a blank fat32 sdcard with just the update files

• the typical 'vcgencmd' commands as listed in all the raspberrypi documents all function on OpenWrt...
  • 'rpi-support.sh' will also show you firmware information (or just click run in luci)
2 Likes

Thanks for your quick response. I think I will keep the current firmware since I don't want to risk the reliability of the the build.

no risk at all... you will get better performance and reliability if you update... I recommend it...

thanks for the question tho'... had not yet placed these instructions in an easy to get to place... so you've helped others find this info more easily...

This works, thank you. Just to make sure people have all the info, there is a page describing ways to update Rapberry Pi to the new bootloader/eeprom here:

The changelog is here. Ton of improvements to the eeprom since Pi 4 came out for example, most noticibly the improvements to power draw and overheating. The latest stable should be used:

after an update 3.2.100-63 via luci

SatJul2404:07:592021 Could not find plugin "dns" in /usr/lib/collectd
SatJul2404:07:592021 is configuration for the `dns' plugin, but the plugin isn't loaded. Please check your conf
SatJul2404:07:592021 Parsing the config file failed!

did you forget to remove dns from collected cfg? I know it's not even a minor issue. I just want to mention it. thank you

1 Like

New user here, spent an hour searching as it must have been answered before, but...

While I'm waiting for my UE300 adapter, I wanted to get some configuration done and apply some updates. Cable modem is in the basement, so wired isn't exactly convenient. I'd like to enable wifi and connect to my existing SSID as a DHCP client so I can continue with setup. Pointers to some existing docs?