RE450 as a repeater

I managed to install latest (Mon Dec 26 12:17:02 2016) snapshot to my brand new RE450.

My main objective is to use is as a wifi repeater by exploiting its dual (2.4 Ghz + 5 Ghz) radio device.
I'd like to use the 5 Ghz channel to connect to my main Lede router and the 2.4 Ghz channel to connect the wifi clients to the network.
DHCP should be provided by my main router (another Lede box with dual wifi), thus no NAT should be involved in the solution.

I think I'd configure the 5 Ghz wifi as client to my main router, but don't know how to finish the setup.

Any hint?

As a final step, I'd like to also use the wired Ethernet to get access to the main router with its DHCP. But this step is not as important as the previous one.

I think I'd configure the 5 Ghz wifi as client to my main router, but don't know how to finish the setup.

afaik:

network -> Wireless, then choose the wifi network generated by the 5G radio, Edit.
Go in Interface Configuration tab, in the Mode choose "client", save and apply, then enable that interface.

Then from network -> Wireless you press Scan and it should show wifi networks you can connect to.

Consider that It's a while I've done this so I might be mistaken.

As a final step, I'd like to also use the wired Ethernet to get access to the main router with its DHCP. But this step is not as important as the previous one.

In the radio settings, Interface configuration, Network line, choose Lan (which should be default for ethernet ports of local network) for both radios.

Then from Network -> Interfaces click on Edit in the LAN interface, there you can give the device a static address (or not) and down in the DHCP Server tab you can select the "disable DHCP for this interface" so it will not interfere with the current DHCP server.

Ok, just tested, network -> Wireless, make sure all radios are enabled, then press Scan, and then select the network you want to join, and click "Join network", then it will open a guided setup page where it asks you only the basic info to set up a new client network and then it generates a new client network for you saving the manual process I outlined above.

I cant get it. I want to have a bridged client https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/recipes/bridgedclient . I Add a Client in the 2.4 GHz network besides my master 2.4GHz AP. The connection to my router appear. But I can't get IPs from the routers DHCP or can't connect to router or home network :frowning:

Hello, I am novice to LEDE and networking and would like to ask for your assistance:

I have an RE450 and decided to flash it with the LEDE firmware because the original stock firmware does not allow to force AES only encryption for the extended network. It transmits TKIP regardless of the host network being AES only.

I am using the LEDE Web interface only, and tried to set up the RE450 to perform as a repeater, as follows:

1. Removed pre-existing LEDE network on radio0 and radio1

2. Connected to MyHostNetwork in "Client" mode on radio0,

• kept the "Name of the new network" field as is (wwan)
  • "Assign firewall-zone" left ticked on proposed "wan: empty"
  • submitted, save and apply
  1. Add new network to radio0
  • ESSID "MyHostNetwork Extended" (I want it to be able to see it to distinguish from MyHostNetwork)
  • Mode: Access Point
  • Network: ticked "wwan" and "lan"
  • Wireless Security: WPA2-PSK, Cipher Force CCMP (AES) - I don't want any TKIP
  • save and apply
  1. Wireless overview
  • MyHostNetwork shows in Client mode and connected
  • MyHostNetwork Extended shows in Master mode, and connected when I connect to it from my laptop
  • Associated Stations show MyHostNetwork as wlan0 with signal, and MyHostNetwork Extended with signal
  1. Connection to MyHostNetwork Extended from laptop
  • Connected to MyHostNetwork Extended, but shows No Internet Access
  • Changed MyHostNetwork Extended mode from Access Point to Access Point WDS, but still No Internet Access on laptop

Please advise what is missing to get internet access on MyHostNetwork Extended?

(post edited to clarify proceedure)

did you try following what I said a few posts above? It applies also if there are no ethernet ports involved.

For the repeater to work, you need to have both radios on LAN interface (or on the same interface inside the LAN firewall zone), and you must set LAN interface (click on Network then on Interfaces) with a static IP that fits in the existing network (if your router's IP is 192.168.1.1 you can place for example 192.168.1.50 or whatever), then write the address of your router in the "gateway" and "DNS" IP address fields.

thanks for the advice. Followed but still no internet on extended network.

Here is my configuration:

• Host router is 192.168.1.1

RE450 LAN Interface:

• IPv4 address: 192.168.1.254,
  • IPv4 netmask: 255.255.255.0,
  • IPv4 gateway: 192.168.1.1
    -Use custom DNS servers: 192.168.1.1
  • Advanced Settings: Dynamic DHCP checked.
  • Physical settings: Bridge interfaces checked, lan checked, both wireless extended radios checked

WWAN AND WWAN2 Interfaces (one for each radio, both same settings):

• Protocol: DHCP client,

• Advanced settings: Bridge on boot checked, built in IPv6 management checked, use default gateway checked, use DNS servers advertised by peers checked

• Physical Settings: Bridge interfaces: not checked. Interface: checked wwan wireless network of MyHostWifi (and wwan2 for second radio with corresponding MyHostWifi).

• Firewall disabled on startup (not sure if this is really necessary)

I am not using the physical ethernet ports on the extender.

any thoughts?

@bobafetthotmail Your directions seem not to work.
Once I attached the wifi interface as a client, it is tied to a new IP interface, called WWAN.
The WWAN in turn is put into the "wan" firewall zone and is in DHCP mode.
If I ask it to connect, the WWAN will get the IP from my main DHCP server.

On the other side, my LAN and my 2.4GHz are bridged together with its own DHCP server on an (hopefully different) IP subnet, so my wired and wireless clients attaching to it will get an IP and will go to the internet thanks to the implicit NAT rules applied by the box.

This is not what I want, as I need to have all clients served by the same DHCP server and not being NATed.

In my opinion all three interfaces should all be bridged together: WWAN/wlan1 (client), wlan0 (AP) and LAN and they should be all in the "lan" zone, so to bypass the implicit firewall rules.

Unluckily I am wrong as it doesn't work!

Any extra idea?

Hmm, it seems it's harder than that, see this wiki article https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/recipes/relayclient
luci has luci-proto-relay that seems to be related to that.

Seems very complicated to configure RE450 as a repeater with Lede.

DD-WRT is very easy to configure as a repeater, it has a special "repeater" mode and works just like that. I tried it with DD-WRT installed on my WRT54G. It also allows be to chose the cypher I want on the extended network.

Is it possible to install DD-WRT on the RE450?

@StanStar You are in the wrong forum to ask this!
Anyway, the answer is "no"!

thanks - I'm not a network geek, just looking for a simple solution to the problem using the web interface - correct settings in the web interface. Iit's very simple to do in DD-WRT, but requires more advanced networking knowledge in Lede. Was hoping someone could just provide the correct settings in the GUI.

I'm in the same boat as you are! :slight_smile:

Anyone has no hostnames on the overview page "Associated Stations" (connected wifi), too? I have only the mac adress and a ? in the table.

Someone tried that instructions to create a wireless bridged repeater?

http://trac.gateworks.com/wiki/OpenWrt/wireless/relayd

[quote="ottelo, post:15, topic:693, full:true"]Someone tried that instructions to create a wireless bridged repeater? http://trac.gateworks.com/wiki/OpenWrt/wireless/relayd
[/quote]Yeah that works fine, I guess both guys above missed it somehow even if it is the first link after the image in the wiki I linked above.

Anyway, I've started writing the LEDE wiki article about this crucial feature.
Currently only the GUI part is done (with screenshots!) but I guess you guys are most interested to that anyway. https://lede-project.org/docs/user-guide/relay_configuration

What I wrote was tested with my nexx 3020 minirouter (ramips mediatek device with a single 2.4ghz wifi radio).

Anyone has no hostnames on the overview page "Associated Stations" (connected wifi), too? I have only the mac adress and a ? in the table.

Yes, also in my tests the client wifi network has a ? instead of an IP address. See the wiki for a screenshot of that.

But why LEDE cannot show the correct hostnames or the IP? I cannot identify connected devices! Its really bad.

[quote="ottelo, post:17, topic:693, full:true"]But why LEDE cannot show the correct hostnames or the IP? I cannot identify connected devices! Its really bad.[/quote]Because the LEDE device set as repeater does not exist in that subnet, it's IP is in a different subnet.
The repeater works like a "dumb ethernet switch", but on wifi.

You will find the connected devices in the main router's webinterface.

Just got my RE450 working as a wireless repeater.

Follow @bobafetthotmail's excellent work on https://lede-project.org/docs/user-guide/relay_configuration

Afterwards go to Network => Wireless, click on Add beside the respective radio you want to repeat.

At the bottom, ensure that the interface is set to lan, and mode is Access Point. Configure name and security, Save & Apply, and your RE450 is now a repeater.

1 Like

thanks for feedback :slight_smile: