R7800 performance

Im contemplating either spending the extra $$ and getting a wifi router than can properly handle 1gb bandwith on the wan interface but not sure I can pull it off. My other thinking was to maybe re purpose an old/spare computer to run openwrt (maybe). But not sure how that will work with wifi etc..

The r7800 can run gigabit NAT. The problem is not the device, the problem is some sort of software / settings issue. Your commands have some conflicting requests - on demand settings do not apply to the performance governor.

what are your result when you run these four commands in an SSH window:
cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/scaling_governor

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy0/scaling_max_freq

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy1/scaling_max_freq

If you want the CPU to run at maximum frequency all the time it needs to be ā€œperformanceā€. That should run your CPU at the maximum frequency.

This is redundant as it is only used with ondemand governor and you switch top performance immediately after.

1 Like

Running the performance governor tweak (just run what I quoted in a SSH window) and software offloading I get this result on a r7800. You don't need any of those other tweaks, they are redundant or minimally helpful, enjoy!:

1 Like

You got lucky: there is a known bug in freq scaling that sometime will give you lower throughput and sometime higher. The other steps are to work around that bug.

1 Like

I played around with the ondemand settings. I agree- the CPU frequency and throughput would vary a little more than desired.

My setup is simple and distributes the load of my network- one r7800 that all it does is wired routing (all additional services turned off, wifi off). I have two r7800s as dumb APs (all they do is wifi). All running hnyman stable 22 December build.

I am mostly interested in performance and donā€™t really need the system to scale down.... Iā€™m on the performance governor now for my three r7800s (thanks cyber Monday sale!) - performance governor works great and gives the most consistent results!

It is up to you, but you will be getting different performance results after each reboot. See this for detailed info.

R7800 Scaling Issue

1 Like

root@r7800:~# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
performance
root@r7800:~# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/scaling_governor
performance
root@r7800:~# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy0/scaling_max_freq
root@r7800:~# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy1/scaling_max_freq
root@r7800:~#

Iv been meaning to update my r7800 to hnyman 19.07 just havent gotten around to it yet. Will going from 18.06.04 to 19.07 help with any of these issues or will it be more or less the same with your mentioned tweaks?

Thanks again for all the help. I was thinking there for a minute that I needed a new router. :wink:

~SOL

Iā€™d update to 19.07 and work on some of the tweaks above.

@fantom-x The scaling issue is interesting. I havenā€™t seen that behavior... but the only time I reboot is when I flash a newer version of firmware. I donā€™t have the level of detailed memory tests those folks have so my setup might have some degraded performance that I havenā€™t noticed.

I donā€™t keep my entries in a file on the router- I might be skipping the cache issue because I fresh enter all the commands in a SSH window after the router is back up (quick copy paste- I set up on demand first (in case I want to go back to on demand, then I flip it to performance)):

echo 800000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq; echo 800000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq; echo 20 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold; echo 10 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/sampling_down_factor; echo performance > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy0/scaling_governor; echo performance > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy1/scaling_governor

1 Like

Anything special going from 18.06.04 to 19.07 other than using the sysupgrade build? Im really trying to avoid rebuilding all the misc settings,packages etc.. I will be making a backup just in case.

Thanks again!

~SOL

sysupgrade is the preferred method. Going between major versions the recommendation is to not keep your settings (freshly put them in).

I like hynmanā€™s build, has a simple set of features and clean interface. Iā€™m running the stable owrt 22 December build (hynman keeps the first post updated with all his features)

Download location:

is there a general recommendation to tune the wifi settings? i am currently using the additional parameters.

option bursting 1
    option ff 1
    option compression 1
    option turbo 1

but i can't see any significant advantage.

Those are for an ancient driver, madwifi, which was relevant in 2006-2010, but not for the last decade...

2 Likes

Thanks for clarification!

Just a hint in case anyone is using R7800 for processing intensive application: placing router vertically lowers its temperature by around 5 degrees.

4 Likes

or even better may be flipping it upside down or put a laptop cooling pad under neath but that'd blow dust into it

I actually use a usb laptop cooling pad on my r7800

My R7800 is in a tight spot between floor joists so I use this laptop cooler. Perfect fit and works well.