[Question] TP-Link Archer C7 (v2) Firmware and Regions

Today I received an Archer C7 v2 EU.

I used the lede-17.01.2-ar71xx-generic-archer-c7-v2-squashfs-factory-eu.bin to flash from the OEM firmware. Everything went fine.

My question this this:
If I want to go from a LEDE version to another not with the sysupgrade method but with the "mtd -r write lede-firmware firmware" method (which I prefer), do I have to use the EU .bin file or can I use the factory.bin file that is not IL/US/EU specific?

I suppose this factory bin is "Universal", isn't it?
Can I use this bin instead of the EU?

And what is the difference between the different region firmwares?
Do they have diffrent "structure"?

Thank you in advance. :slight_smile:

Hey there.

As of this thread, you only need the proper region image at first install since the vendor software running on stock will check for a signature. As soon as you kicked that stock rom out you can use whatever region file you want. They don't differ in terms of content but only in terms of file signature.

It's not about the Archer C7 but the WDR4300, but I'm pretty sure the answer is true for both.

Regards,
Stephan.

1 Like

So the region specific firmware is for the initial flash.
Now I get it.

Thank's a lot Stephan! :slight_smile:

They don't differ in terms of content but only in terms of file signature.

But why is there a sysupgrade image for the IL flavor (archer-c7-v2-il-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin) then?

The israeli variant probably hasn't been published by TP-Link themselves, but (badly) butchered together by the israeli importers/ distributors to comply to their strict regulatory demands. Contrary to the later region codes introduced by TP-Link, this was done by changing the device ID, which makes those appear as a different device to the firmware/ bootloader.

1 Like