Public IP from VPS over wire guard presented to client firewall

Hi guys, really hope someone can help or at least tell my I'm out of my mind.

i need to get the the second public IP from my VPS to a firewall behind a client side openwrt router

what i need looks like below:

i can get the second public ip to the openwrt router from the VPS no problem

i need the firewall to get the IP 12.34.56.79

i have to get the ip 12.34.56.79 to the firewall device so that firewall rules line up with the IP (customer requirement)

this is all so they can deal with CGNAT

help, i'm a bit out of my depth on this one

normally i would just allocate a private IP range to the firewall and then route them out over the VPS's 12.34.56.79 IP. but the customer doesn't want that. they want the public ip of the VPS to be presented directly to the firewall behind the openwrt device

i know i can cheat this a little and allocate a 12.34.56.79/32 and give the opwnwrt router the other address in that /32 range to act as a gateway but i have no idea how to proceed past that or if that would even work

if anyone could point me in the right direction that would be great

You can make the .79 address the "apparent wan" address of the firewall on the left, but you cannot actually make the wan of that device .79.

On the OpenWrt router, you'll set the WG connection such that all traffic traverses the tunnel (unless you have different requirements), and then the routing table on the VPS will be responsbile for sending that traffic out via the .79 address.

Use private IPs internally. On the firewall add a loopback or dummy interface with 12.34.56.79 or add it as secondary/alias IP on the wan. From the VPS use static routes to OpenWrt and again static routes to the firewall.

so something like this (please correct me where i am wrong):

on the openwrt i have 2 interfaces WAN and LAN

set the lan interface on openwrt to 12.34.56.80/32 that would allow the firewall to use 12.34.56.79
this would give the ip i want and a gatway that is the lan ip of the openwrt lan port

then give the openwrt router a wireguard client ip of 172.16.0.2 and the server 172.16.0.1 so there is a route back to the vps

then on the vps static route anything coming from the client (172.16.0.2) out over 12.34.56.79 and anything in from 12.34.56.79 static route to 172.16.0.2

or am i way off ?

ideally i want the wireguard vpn tunnel to form on the 12.34.56.78 address. this would also allow me to manage the openwrt device remotely (i'll lock it down)

then have anything client related route over the wireguard tunnel to and from the 12.34.56.79. this would also be the IP the client can use for whatever they need.

No. Use RFC1918 private IP addresses on the lan interface. The wan interface will have the IP address that is provided by the ISP (even if it is NAT/CG-NAT). The WG tunnel will also use RFC1918 addresses. It will be the VPS that is responsible for routing through the 12.34.56.79 address so that yuor apparent (not real) WAN shows up as you desire.

If, from the perspective of the local network, you need to make it appear that the wan on the firewall is actually 12.34.56.79, you'd do that by setting the loopback/dummy address as @trendy suggested. But this may not be necessary unless you have reason to use that address from behind that firewall to access services.

unfortunately the client was quite specific they need the public IP to be presented to the firewall. something to do with their rules/templates and they need it for site-site VPN or something. either way they wouldn't budge. is there no way to emulate this on the openwrt device or am i just going to have to tell them this cant be done

So they have a router/fireall appliance behind the OpenWrt router and it is only that connection that has to have the desired wan address presented? They don't care that the OpenWrt router has a different wan IP, right?

I'm not enirely certain how this would work, but the only way it is possible at all is if the OpenWrt router establishes the WG tunnel with the 12.34.56.78 address. It will be entirely impossible if it needs to use the 12.34.56.79 address.

I'm thinking about this a bit more and I have an idea... but it may or may not work.
What are the actual last octets of the VPS addresses? (both of them)

you'd need to be able to set the address as a /30 so that the gateway could be on the other address allowed by a /30.

For example, if the actual address needed on the firewall is .213, you could make an interface on the OpenWrt router that would be 12.34.56.214/30 an the address on the firewall would be 12.34.56.213/30 with its gateway set to 12.34.56.214

This won't work if:

• the actual address (for the firewall - represented as .79) doesn't fit 'inside' the /30 (i.e. if it is the broadcast address or the network ID address)
  • if the other VPS address (represented as .78) ends up being swallowed by the /30 (i.e. 214 - other host address, 215 = broadcast address, 212 = subnet ID)

That. It is not necessary to use public IPs in the lan or wan or the tunnel. Use private IPs and assign the public IP on the firewall as an additional IP so that it is present in the rules.
On the VPS and OpenWrt add the necessary routes and rules to make the packets find their way to the firewall.

This might not be needed. I don't think it's uncommon for DHCP client implementations to add a device route to the router/gateway if it's outside the subnet of the DHCP assigned IP address.

I'm pretty sure that the gateway needs to be in the same subnet and that /32 won't work. (/32 networks are a bit odd, of course).
But just to prove it... I just tried it...

• I set a static IP on my comptuer of 192.168.5.2/32 with gateway 192.168.5.1
  • The router was, of course, set to address 192.168.5.1/32

This resulted in no connectivity, which is not a surprise. I'm happy to try other things (in the interest of learning; I'm totally happy to be proven wrong), but I don't think you can do /32 networks for this purpose, so you'd have to work with a /30.

to answer all of you, my apologies, I've just read my posts above and I've put a /32 when I meant a /31

sorry, its been a long day

can i also say thank you, you've all given me a lot to think about

Did you add a static device route to 192.168.5.2 on the router?

BTW I tested it with Android, and it worked. (I used a /24 subnet but with a gateway outside that subnet. But I haven't tested a /32 subnet.)

unfortunately the ip's on the VPS are nowhere near each other, not even the same subnet at any level

it seems to be just 2 different IP's from a pool of available ones from the hosting provider

It is plausible that a /31 could work. I don't think a /32 can possibly work, even with a set of static routes.

That said, after setting the /32 on my router for a VLAN (that was just present on a single physical port, I left the regular lan alone and connected with the other 3 ports), the device is now entirely unrechable for reasons I don't understand :laughing: and failsafe doesn't seem to work properly on this box (it's an old crappy Linksys E3000 -- I use it purely for experimenting like this). So, I can't experiment further until I fix this thing.

Ok... this is actually a very good thing (not unfortunate at all)... the /30 idea I had may work (assuming the address doesn't overlap the broadcast or subnet ID addresses when set as a /30). It would have been quite complicated if you had sequential IPs.

That said, the /30 solution would necessarily mean that the 3 IPs surrounding the 'real one'

It seems to be a common configuration on cloud hosting providers according to a Serverfault answer. It also says Google uses DHCP option 121 to configure a static route to the off-subnet gateway, but at least Android apparently doesn't need that option, the required static route was added automatically by Android anyway.

Hi Guys, first just a big thank you for all your advice and inputs.

i've attached a new diagram with IP's (ive used the real IP's of my test vps as they are now) once i've got it working i'll burn it all and create new ones.:

i believe (correct me please) that i can use this to route everything and get the public IP to the firewall behind openwrt however

how the hell do i route this ?

there is (i believe) a path but am unsure how to route it as the 78.141.226.237 ip exists both ends

again, any advice is most appreciated

My guess is that this should be possible to do.

On OpenWrt, you'll set the WG interface allowed IPs as 0.0.0.0/0, and assign the WG interface to a unique firewall zone that has masquerading enabled. This will pass all traffic through the tunnel. Then, on the other end of the tunnel (VPS side), you'll setup a policy to route traffic between the WG interface and the public IP. (although I'm not exactly sure how to do this on the VPS).