Proposal for new announcement category

Continuing the discussion from How to know when new release comes out? Or security issues?:

Proposal for new announcement category

• Separate new category, i.e. not listed under a parent category like "Installing and using OpenWrt"
  • Category name: Release and security announcements
  • Category slug: announcements
  • Category description: Announcements of new releases and security updates
  • Access rights:
    • Admins / Developers can create new topics
    • Users can read new topics, but not create or reply to new topics

Your comments are welcome!

6 Likes

Why not make this a sub-category?

Need to create/populate "Developer" group.

Separate category to give it the adequate importance.
In the old wiki it was called "News" and on the top position:

I think "News" or "Release and security announcements" just deserve to be a separate category. Apart from that, reading the category descriptions, I don't see where this would fit as a sub-category.

• Hardware questions - clearly no
  • For Developers - no, release announcements are also for non-developers
  • Talk about Documentation - no, release announcements are not talking about documentation
  • Community builds - no, we are not announcing custom builds or packages created by the community, but official release builds
  • Site Feedback and Other Questions - no, release and security announcements are too important for filing them under "other"
  • Installing and using OpenWrt - no, we are not asking, but announcing
4 Likes
  • News + feedback
    ------> Announcements
    ------> Talk about documentation
    ------> Site Feedback and other questions

I'd be pragmatic here - start with a new major category "Announcements" being at the top and later devide it into subcategories if it becomes too convoluted.

5 Likes

This is a good idea.

Maybe still allow users to reply to topics? This is nice to gather feedback about a release in a single topic. If feedback goes too much into a specific subject, I guess it could be split to another topic in an existing category?

To be more specific, I like @tmomas 's proposal: call it "Release and security announcements" and make it a separate category.

This can then be added to https://openwrt.org/contact#important_changes_and_announcements

Since this is the way it works today, let's do it this way.

If there are no objections, I would create the new category this evening (CEST).

• Separate new category, i.e. not listed under a parent category like "Installing and using OpenWrt"
  • Category name: Release and security announcements
  • Category slug: announcements
  • Category description: Announcements of new releases and security updates
  • Access rights:
    • Admins / Developers can create new topics
    • Users can read and reply to new topics
1 Like

The new announcements category has been created:
https://forum.openwrt.org/c/announcements/14

5 Likes

Glad to see the new category! Looking forward to its first use!

Soon, very soon :slight_smile:

1 Like

A thought about this new category...

For new announcements (like a new stable release), it would be useful to have simple user comments with links to more detailed posts/threads as required, as keep the main announcement thread easy to read and on topic.

For example:

• Upgrade successful on < router model >, all running smoothly.
  • Upgrade failed on < router model > from 18.06.x to this new build
  • < package name> appears to be broken on this new release using < router model >, troubleshooting thread: < link >

Is there any way we can enourage this (or as admins, split/move the issue and with a link from the original thread). It would be unfortunate if we have 20 replies in a given announcement thread that is dedicated to troubleshooting each issue that arises. I think we want to have user replies in the announcement threads to indicate success or issues, but it would be great if it can be a focused thread with resources/links that users can follow for resolution of individual issues.

@bjonglez Maybe you could reserve posting #2 of the announcement for links to selected 19.07.4 specific problem solving topics.

Manually collecting links sounds like a lot of work...

Maybe we can encourage people to start new threads themselves when things go very specific?

The way I see it, what would be nice is a list of posts like "this worked for me on device X, Y, Z" and "this feature/device is broken, see [thread]"

1 Like

I can still add a second post with guidelines about creating new topics, and this post could be used to collect links if needed.

Everything is ready for 19.07.4 except for the https://downloads.openwrt.org/ homepage (I think both @ynezz and @jow have access to that). I plan to post the announcements tomorrow morning.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.