Probable wifi regression in mt7621 snapshot

Hi.
I'm running a Netgear R6220 (mt7621) with master snapshot. Kernel 5.10.156, build r21428-69f0c29b8b created 4d ago. The device is used as an AP.

Yesterday I created a new build (still kernel 5.10.156) and went into trouble : wifis hang and the device reboots after 3 to 5 min. This morning I created another build (kernel 5.10.158 r21452-1e240f60a5) and had the same trouble.
There had been a lot of changes between the working build and the two others : mainly kmod-mt76-core, kmod-mt7603, kmod-mt76x02-common, kmod-mt76x2, kmod-mt76x2-common, libustream-wolfssl20201210.

Does anyone have the same kind of trouble ?
My guess is that there is some trouble in the wifi packages, or possibily wolfssl.

To create the builds, I'm using the online image builder with these options
base-files busybox ca-bundle dnsmasq dropbear firewall4 fstools kmod-gpio-button-hotplug kmod-leds-gpio kmod-mt7603 kmod-mt76x2 kmod-nft-offload kmod-usb-ledtrig-usbport kmod-usb3 libc libgcc libustream-wolfssl logd mtd netifd nftables odhcp6c odhcpd-ipv6only opkg procd procd-seccomp procd-ujail uci uclient-fetch urandom-seed urngd wpad-basic-wolfssl kmod-usb-net-rndis luci luci-theme-material relayd luci-proto-relay -luci-proto-ppp

I have restored the working snapshot and the device is running smoothly for 1h30 now.

1 Like

Same here on my MT7621 Xiaomi R4A Gigabit, bootloop if wireless is enabled.

If I have the radios disabled it doesn't happen.

I think it's caused by the latest mac80211 updates.

There is also an issue open on git https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/issues/11477

@nbd

2 Likes

Hi.

It confirms my guess. The issue described on github is very clear.

I haven't tested this as the device is used as an AP. It is meant to use wifi.
Thank you.

1 Like

Please let me know the issue will be solved. I'm monitoring the version of kmod-mac80211, and waiting for an update. I'll try another build then.

There has been a patch posted to master branch that is supposed to solve the issue.

edit: solves the issue for me

1 Like

Hi.
Just installed too, and everything works again.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.