Porting Firmware to TP-Link Archer C20 v5

mtk_ApSoC_4320/Uboot/include/asm/global_data.h:57

#define SYS_UPGRADE_MARK	0x89abcdef

mtk_ApSoC_4320/Uboot/lib_mips/board.c:2179

#if defined(DUAL_UBOOT_SUPPORT) && defined(FACTORY_UBOOT)
	if (BootType == '3')
	{
		ubootArgs * ubootarg = 0x80060000;
		memset(ubootarg, 0, sizeof(ubootArgs));
		raspi_read(ubootarg, DUAL_UBOOT_ARGS_ADDR, sizeof(ubootArgs));
		if (SYS_UPGRADE_MARK == ubootarg->upgradeMark)
		{
			printf("\n !!System upgrade failed at last time!!\n");
			setenv("ipaddr", WEBFAILSAFE_SERVER_IP_ADDR);
			setenv("miniweb", "1");
			BootType = '4';
#if defined(TP_MODEL_C55V1) || defined(TP_MODEL_A1201V1)
            //set wps led on.
			setGpioData(39, 0);
#elif  defined(TP_MODEL_C50V4) || defined(TP_MODEL_C50V5)
			setGpioData(43, 0);
#elif  defined(TP_MODEL_C20V5)
			setGpioData(41, 0);
#endif
		}		
	}
#endif
1 Like

Thank you for building this image and I don't expect you to do much more

I installed version 19.07.2 on the c20 v5 and had some problems regarding the wifi: The transmit power is very low compared to the c20 v4 with openwrt (I am considering that it is the same hardware, right?).

The 2.4Ghz is stable with max transmit power 20dBm, but the 5Ghz have only 13dBm max (in v4 it reaches 23dBm) and is very unstable, losing connection every moment. Is there a problem with the 5Ghz drive or is something missing?

Thanks for your efforts in bringing the openwrt to the c20 v5!

There's no functioning open source driver for mt76x0 chipsets. If you wish to use C20 v5 with OpenWrt, consider the 5GHz feature gone. No one will stop you from using the proprietary driver, but I'm not allowed to tell you how to do that. Sorry.

1 Like

That isn't true anymore, mt76 does have support for mt7610e now (I have no personal experience how well it works, but it's there).

can not upgrade to openwrt via ogrinal tplink web interface

tftp is the answer. currently, I'm using @dxdt firmware, so far so good and more stable for me.

1 Like

Sorry. We cannot help you if all you can give is "doesn't work".

You said it. You don't have the hw. Oh yes, open source drivers for Nvidia VGA exist(nouveau) and they suck big time.

We just have to be grateful that TP-Link devs didn't use mt7610e chips for both 2.4 and 5G. That would have been a nightmare, but thankfully, they used the chip to bodge support for 5G. 2.4G is from the main SoC, which explains why it works like a charm.

thanks so much! i will try

Is the V5 version fully supported now? I did not understand if 5.8GHZ support works well or not?
Nevertheless 2.4GHz support works well and luci too?

Yeah it works without any problem with image version 19.07.2, thank to dxdt

19.07.3 build

God bless you :pray:
I'll upload it to my router tomorrow and let you know
Thanks again brother :+1: :ok_hand: :wine_glass:

Hi Jtommasi72, so, did you flash the version 4 directly from openwrt, that is to say, did you download and flash via TFTP 192.168.0.66 http://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/19.07.3/targets/ramips/mt76x8/openwrt-19.07.3-ramips-mt76x8-tplink_c20-v4-squashfs-tftp-recovery.bin

or what did you flash into your c20. I have a C20 that says Archer C20 Ver 5.0 on the sticker. So, it's been hell trying to get v5 to work, stripped image or not.

Hi there
I uploaded xxxxxxx- tplink_c20-v5-squashfs-tftp-recovery.bin to my router via tftp then update it with xxxxxxx-tplink_c20-v5-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
The router works flawlessly
I just wanted to thank you :pray: keep up good work
Thanks a lot

Hi amaurynieto. I believe that C20 v5 is not the same as C20W v5. The "W" means that it is the version for ISPs. What I discovered is that the C20W v5 has the same partition table that the C20 v4 and I was able to flash it by tftp by settting up a server with IP 192.168.0.66 and pressing the reset button while booting.

1 Like

Indeed. I flashed it in this fashion, and it worked with v4 tftp. I still have to iron out a few issues like the 5G radio didn't come up automatically (I have a custom build), but I'll report back.

Could some one help me and clear me a small details . I would be very thankful.
I want to install openwrt. as soon as I understood it, I should first install "tp_recovery.bin" through TFTP
What should I do afterwards?
Should I "openwrt-ramips-mt76x8-tplink_archer-c20-v5-squashfs-factory.bin" or "openwrt-18.06.5-ramips-mt76x8-tplink_c20-v5-squashfs-sysupgrade"? does it work with the two? if so what is the difference.

See https://openwrt.org/faq/what_is_the_difference_between_the_different_image_formats

1 Like