Please help, I've messed up (revert Archer C6 V2 to TP-link firmware)

When I type either address into putty (ending .0.1 or .1.1), it just says connection timed out.

First you need to change the PC back to DHCP ("Obtain IP Address Automatically") from the static setting used for TFTP. This should succeed in obtaining an address which will be 192.168.1.X for OpenWrt and possibly 192.168.0.X for stock firmware.

When I change that back, it ends up saying unidentified network and the ethernet adapter has an address of 169.254.87.60

Both .0.1 and .1.1 say they're unreachable in a browser

It still seems to me like the file is transferred, but it's just not installed on the router. The router doesn't respond at all, no flashing lights or anything, just the power light. Ive tried several different firmwares, both official to link and the openwrt, but after the transfer, nothing ever happens.

I think maybe some crucial part of the recovery firmware must be missing, so it doesn't know what to do with the file.

Did you read this topic?

Yup. But the issue doesn't seem to be getting the file to transfer..... once the file is transferred, the router doesn't do anything with it

Just for test can you try this file for recovery?

Ive just tried using solarwind instead of tftpd and it starts the file transfer process but after around 1 minute, it says "dropped because peer didn't respond"

Same result as the rest I'm afraid.

This was when I used the 100mb switch.

When I use full 1gb it says completed.

But same thing as before..... says complete, but then nothing.... no lights flash, nothing reboots... no progress. If I manually reboot the router after a few minutes, I still just get the power light and nothing else.

But can you return back to openwrt frimware?

Nope. No matter which file I transfer, the router just doesn't do anything with the file after its transferred.

I've updated the archive. Can you try again?

@mk24 highlights an important issue. Toolchain. It's very frustrating only having one computer to do all this. If possible, get another laptop setup to test your C6 v2 after burning new firmware to avoid having to reconfigure the PC/NIC each time.

Try loading up Ubuntu on an old laptop. I think it is alot easier to test with than windows.

just wanted to say thanks to everyone for trying to help.

I've now tried to get it working using multiple update .bin files, with or without a 100mb switch, on 2 different pc's. I've tried openwrt and tplink .bin files, I've tried 2 different tftp softwares, with and without windows firewall.

I've followed every guide to the letter.

I think it's safe to say that without spending money on other hardware like a usb/serial dooberrie thingymabob, it's not going to work.....and even WITH that extra step, there's still no guarentee that I'll get it working again......so I think the time has come to bite the bullet on this one and say that it's officially toast.

I think lesson learned on my part though, don't take firmware updates so lightly, and don't try messing with things that you really don't understand....I guess they put those warnings there for a good reason haha.

I'm gonna have to just buy a new unit and probably just stick to stock firmware this time.

Thanks again to everyone for all the ideas, suggestions, files shared, etc.....it's really appreciated, and just goes to show what a great bunch of folks you all are, as I've had no end of support trying to fix my mistake.

I'm in SW London / Surrey, and may be able to unbrick it if you have a spare unit to tide you over.

PM me if you want me to try.

BTW, based on recent experience ( :woozy_face:!)...

It'd be entirely normal for a "heavy" job like flashing to fail if the power supply can't keep up. Are you using the original or up-to-spec power supply? Picxs on eBay say it is a 12V, 1A device. Try an alternate 12V supply that can give 1A or higher if available. Perfectly OK to use a 1500mA, 2500mA, etc one.

Some more questions.
Can you see logs of your tftp-daemon to be sure that firmware was sent to router correctly?
Typical problem (which logs can clear):

• windows firewall block tftp-request from router - disable firewall;
  • firmware file not found - check/rename firmware file and place it into correct directory;
  • some users report that tftp-client can't connect through 1Gbit link - try to force 100Mbit;
  • some users report problem with tftpd64 - try 32-bit version.
  • some users report that router switch to web recovery mode if current firmware is damaged - try web recovery method (set computer ip 192.168.0.2 and connect to ip 192.168.0.1 with your browser).