Orange pi R1 plus support

I have a Redmi AC2100 router and I tried openwrt in it. Of course it's much better than stock rom but there's a small loss in wifi signal that stops me from using it. As i don't like signal expanders and all that network switching I'd like to put a device in-between my ISP router and the redmi to use this lastone only as AP. I found this new orange pi R1 plus, with rkc3328, twin gigabit ports and 1gb ram and was wondering if there's really support for it, as it's claimed in AliExpress shop. Anyone has already tried it?

Orange pi seems to have added support in their openwrt fork:

1 Like

I just got mine today and managed to get Arch Linux ARM running with their generic aarch64 kernel.

The LEDs are not working properly yet and there might be other less obvious issues.

The hardware looks extremely similar to FriendlyARM NanoPi R2S judging by their device trees so it should not be that hard to properly port openwrt to it.

1 Like

I received my device yesterday and used the openwrt image they have in their site and it worked normally. It was only a test and during the weekend I intend to make it primary router and use the redmi ac2100 as AP.
Their image is a snapshot from December, i think.

Just an update, using this for the last week as primary router and everything works just fine. The Openwrt build they provide misses some packages and I can't install them due to kernel mismatch but I don't really need them for now. Will try to build some new image for this with recent kernel.

I got mine last month, but i have failed to install the openwrt image they have in their site. Can you share your image you have on your device?

Hi, i use their image and it works ok. Are you sure it doesn't work? Maybe try different uSD. I wasn't able to build a new image yet (lack of time) but an analysis of their github showed that they added support for R1 plus by removing nano pi R2S which makes it difficult to just patch original Openwrt with their work.

I use Etcher to flash sucessful on the SD. However, when i boot its, it start and see the led green and red. But cannot access to Luci web admin on the IP, nor via SSH

Can you attach a UART board to see what happens when you boot? I think it took its time in the first boot.

As others have noted in this thread, the current snapshot offered has an outdated kernel and does not allow for the addition of most packages. I was hoping to use this for SQM but cannot because of this issue. Is anyone currently looking at making an update firmware version. I would greatly appreciate it!

You can go to the github link I posted and request a new image. The ideal situation is to had support here and not depend on anyone else. As I said, there's only one large commit on their github where they just dump everything and the support for this board was added removing the nanopi R2S. I have a patch that I can share with the diff between versions if someone wants to take it further

Any chance there will be an official build Orange Pi R1 Plus? This looks to be a beast of a board for $25.

http://www.orangepi.org/Orange%20Pi%20R1%20Plus/

Looks like the manufacture has there own build, but it is using an old kernel, which causes issues installing packages I guess.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1B4RpDsSwuGbwX2ZYWxSA1X-L-yQZLVD1

I actually ordered it, and have one on the way, so I'm really curious if an official build can ever get off the ground.

I am waiting for my OP R1 Plus to arrive. are you able to tell me if the following packages will install with the version OP has on their site?

luci-app-advanced-reboot luci-app-banip luci-app-freifunk-diagnostics luci-app-nlbwmon luci-app-qos luci-app-samba luci-app-samba4 luci-app-statistics luci-app-watchcat

fdisk hotplug2 e2fsprogs rsync lsftp bmon addrwatch bwm-ng dmesg horst htop ifstat Iftop iwinfo ncp netcat tc tcpdump wavemon vnstat nmap etherwake netwhere samba36-client samba36-server kmod-video-uvc mjpg-streamer

blkid kmod-fs-ext4 kmod-fs-vfat kmod-usb-core kmod-usb-storage nano block-extroot block-hotplug block-mount fdisk hotplug2 e2fsprogs rsync lsftp bmon addrwatch bwm-ng dmesg htop ifstat iftop iwinfo ncp netcat tc tcpdump wavemon vnstat nmap etherwake netwhere kmod-usb-core insmod usbcore kmod-usb-storage kmod-usb-uhci insmod usb-ohci kmod-usb-ohci insmod uhci kmod-usb2 insmod ehci-hcd kmod-usb3 usbutils nano kmod-video-uvc mjpg-streamer

I can guarantee nano is available :grimacing:

I'll check some of the rest. But i did the stupid mistake if trying to upgrade everything!

Awesome device. Only thing stopping me buying one is no official OpenWRT build

I cant speak to the specific packages but I can say that very little was able to be updated due to the outdated kernel.

This is the diff between branches patch. I'm having uboot compile errors with latest Openwrt. If someone can/want to rework it to make it work, be my guest.

I've read that since the openwrt version download available on the Orange Pi website has an outdated kernel, it's difficult or impossible to install packages. Is it, however, possible to manually download the ipk packages, and manually force install them?

I don't think that's possible, everything i tried ended in kernel mismatch errors. The right solution is trying to add it to openwrt. Or at least get an usable patch.

What about the Nanopi r2s build? Will it boot, and work with that build?

https://github.com/jayanta525/openwrt-nanopi-r2s/releases/download/v2.0r1/openwrt-rockchip-armv8-friendlyarm_nanopi-r2s-squashfs-sysupgrade.img.gz