Orange pi R1 plus support

You can give it a try and share the results. I don't think it will fully work at least but it's worth a try. It's impossible to do any harm because you just use it in an uSD card so if it doesn't work it's just a question of burning another image.

PS - just noticed that there's a new image (from March 12) in orange pi site. I'll test it to check what's included. But there's no new commit in their GitHub.

I have tried this and it would not boot. Maybe worth a second try but I am not optimistic.

Where are you seeing that? I just checked what I know to be their download repository and only see the old Dec-12th image.

In download resources in their website. You have to enter google drive and there it says v1.2 12th March.

1 Like

@T3Knical if you try it in the meantime can you report what's different? Their github didn't have nothing new. I don't know in what it is based and can't test it, at least today...

1 Like

Just confirmed the new March image still has an outdated kernel. Bummer. Seems like Orange Pi won't be the ones to actually make this useful.

1 Like

Didn't they add at least some packages like wireguard?

I don't see Wireguard (which is one of the packages I need) nor do I see any obvious changes but I did not compare directly.

1 Like

That's enough for me to pass on this. Maybe we can find a way or a patch to build from oficial Openwrt.

1 Like

I received mine today. I have it in production, and it works pretty well. I loaded the latest firmware from the op website. Definitely, lots of packages missing. For now, everything is working on it. Two things though:

A.) I don't see a fan connector.
B.) Can the docker section be used for anything?

Here is a pic of mine mounted in my network enclosure:

Hopefully, a fully functional version of openwrt can be developed, because it definitely packs a lot of power.

I think the fan connector is the tiny connector you have just in the right up corner of the upper ethernet connector.
I haven't tried docker yet on the board. I'll play a bit more with it only when we have a more complete Openwrt.

I'm not sure if anyone else noticed, but if you do a opkg update && opkg list you will notice packages normally reserved for debian based systems, for instance:

root@OP-R1_Plus:~# opkg list | grep yout
refpolicy - 2.20200229-3 - The SELinux Reference Policy project (refpolicy) is a complete SELinux policy that can be used as the system policy for a variety of systems and used as the basis for creating other policies. Reference Policy was originally based on the NSA example policy, but aims to accomplish many additional goals.  The current refpolicy does not fully support OpenWRT and needs modifications to work with the default system file layout. These changes should be added as patches to the refpolicy that modify a single SELinux policy.  The refpolicy works for the most part in permissive mode. Only the basic set of utilities are enabled in the example policy config and some of the pathing in the policies is not correct.  Individual policies would need to be tweaked to get everything functioning properly.
youtube-dl - 2021.2.10-1 - youtube-dl is a small command-line program to download videos from YouTube.com and other video sites. It requires the Python3 interpreter.
youtube-dl-src - 2021.2.10-1 - youtube-dl is a small command-line program to download videos from YouTube.com and other video sites. It requires the Python3 interpreter.  This package contains the Python source files for youtube-dl.
root@OP-R1_Plus:~#

Like: youtube-dl

That would explain docker. It's a debian OS with Openwrt running as a docker I beleive, which would explain the lack of packages working.

I had their github compared with original Openwrt and there are only some changes. The docker package is for docker use in Openwrt. They chose some packages randomly and left out some important ones. If you try to build Openwrt the amount of packages available is overwhelming.

Are there any other useful things can be done with the built in docker?

In theory you can do lots of things. Maybe "bypass" the lack of packages.

BTW, here is a script I found to monitor cpu temp:

#!/bin/sh
echo $((`cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp|cut -c1-2`)).$((`cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp|cut -c3-5`))
1 Like

Has anyone ordered a 5v fan for this? What fan has the correct size connector for this board? The 5v Rasp Pi fan I have, the power connector is slightly bigger. With heatsinks over the CPU and RAM chips I'm averaging 45-55C which is fine (It's mounted in a leviton structured media panel in my basement), but by summer time I'm nervous that may not be enough as temps rise.

Just tried again building from orange pi github and this time I chose the packages more carefully and successfuly built an image with wireguard and other packages I wanted.

FYI, I made a first (quick & dirty) draft of OrangePI R1 Plus case
FreeCAD files are available ; feel free to improve

1 Like

Has anyone ordered a 5v fan for this?

I've bought this 5V one originally designed for RPI:

You can easily power it with GND + 5V pins of the 13 pin header.
It works well.

Imgur
Given that, it's only a matter of case design + 3D printing.