OpenWrt support for Mercusys MR70X

It is a rather inexpensive (~50$) WiFi 6 router based on Mediatek platform: https://deviwiki.com/wiki/Mercusys_MR70X_v1.0

RAM and Flash size is very small, but there are similar devices with full OpenWRT support so I am wondering - is it possible?

One use case can be a Wifi6 AP with 802.11krv support to extend the network (they are disabled in stock firmware).

Yes, assuming there is way to access it and find out how to re-flash it.
I wouldn't be surprise to see a RSA-signed firmware in use there.

1 Like

Yes it's possible to build safeloader compatible fw as You might find it on 4pda.to . I've did other thing with MR1800X (MR70X twin device) .Scrap mdt3 (factory) partition ,Flash breed (model xunlei-timeplug) and restore factory mtd3 in breed .Now build openwrt and flash it in breed .All decribed on openrouter.info • Wyświetl temat - Mercusys MR1800X i MR70X wgranie breed + OpenWrt/Padavan .

1 Like

Thanks! I'll try using the version provided by the 4pda user to test the wifi roaming capabilities. Also haven't heard about Breed, will look into the second solution as well.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.