OpenWrt support for Asus RT-AX53U

Its cpu and wifi chips better than mi ax1800? I want to buy one because of openwrt support.

Hmm, it's a copy-paste from New Xiaomi router AC2100 - #839 by WiredLife . I thought was needed for Luci to be able to change some settings. Need to re-check.

BTW, despite opening a case being quite simple (and it's possible to keep a seal intact), there is no need to perform that to access the serial. It's accessible through slits in the case.
Soldering is not mandatory, as potential serial disconnection is not destructive.

3 Likes

This router is available in my local market. Should I go for it? It will be fully supported by openwrt in the future? I already have mi ax1800 router. It is better than mi ax 1800? Please provide suggestions for what I should do?
Thank you,

it's already supported, it's just not in "stable" release cycle yet, you just need to use snapshot builds
they're ok for general use

2 Likes

I meant without tinkering with serial port and pins.

that's not what support is about.
support means you get builds for openwrt for your device, the hacking part is on you :slight_smile:

you're free to experiment on getting ssh access and then find a way to flash without serial access though, since asus released sourcecode for this router

xiaomi mi ax1800 is not supported currently https://openwrt.org/inbox/toh/xiaomi/xiaomi_ax1800 (there are no openwrt builds for it and cpu is not supported)

if you want a device that runs openwrt without having to solder try reading on the wiki, i know that some fritz!box routers don't need soldering (i flashed a couple fritz!box4040 through python script)

1 Like

RT-AX53U better in raw cpu power compared to mi ax1800?

Hi everyone, any news on how the router performs on OpenWRT?
Is it stable? What about the wifi6/gigabit throughput?

I have just ordered one, of course, with the purpose of installing openwrt on it.

Thanks,
Cristian

2 Likes

I also ordered one.

1 Like

From my observations, it looks stable.
I've got around 400 Mbps down and around 600 Mbps up, tested with the OnePlus 9 Pro and Intel AX200NGW (with Manjaro).

1 Like

I got my RT-AX53U. So much better compared to mi ax 1800.

1 Like

I see only snapshot is available for RT-AX53U

Are we expecting stable 22.03?

Or unknown ?

Doubtful, unless it's also in the recent RCs.

1 Like

LAN <-> Wi-Fi (5GHz) with Intel AX200NGW (on Manjaro Linux):

It seems NAT performance is a bottleneck (see my previous post, those tests have been made WAN <-> WiFi). I hope this PR will help somehow.

speed test asus RT-AX53U as access point.
between desktop PC gigabit lan
and laptop 5ghz wifi6

CPU usage during download and upload

Will not. On the page you sent, you can read "Routing and NAT performance is identical."

Hi

I'm trying to install OpenVPN on my RT-AX53U but I'm having a problem with the kmod-tun package, I'm getting the error:

• The installed version of package kernel is not compatible, require 5.10.136-1-96a14cb2ā€¦ while 5.10.135-1-ebf0db9cā€¦ is installed.

Any ideas what I can do?

Thanks

Sam

I received the router today. As I don't have the USB2TTL dongle with me, I started to look if ssh can be enabled.
Surprisingly, I found this option in the router's Administration menu:

I could log in via ssh using the admin account:

Hi

I downloaded the lastest snapshoot and that got it working. I should have read the notes on this page:

Sam