122880+0 records out
62914560 bytes (60.0MB) copied, 5.795166 seconds, 10.4MB/s
14080+0 records in
14080+0 records out
7208960 bytes (6.9MB) copied, 0.860055 seconds, 8.0MB/s
root@NBG7815:/tmp/ApplicationData#

now my problem is about installing luci:

root@OpenWrt:~# opkg install luci
Installing luci (git-23.051.66410-a505bb1) to root...
Downloading https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/packages/aarch64_cortex-a53/luci/luci_git-23.051.66410-a505bb1_all.ipk
Installing libnl-tiny2023-07-01 (2023-07-01-d433990c-1) to root...
Downloading https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/packages/aarch64_cortex-a53/base/libnl-tiny2023-07-01_2023-07-01-d433990c-1_aarch64_cortex-a53.ipk
Collected errors:
 * check_data_file_clashes: Package libnl-tiny2023-07-01 wants to install file /usr/lib/libnl-tiny.so
        But that file is already provided by package  * libnl-tiny2023-04-02
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package luci.

I googled about this error, and seems pretty common and related to snapshot builds. Which version could I install to solve the problem? Thank you

Had lately a similar experience with package libnl-tiny. As far as I remember I simply removed it and than installed the luci again. That solved the issue.

In my googling I found out that is highly reccomended not to do that... but I admit that was my first thought :smiley:

About sysupgrade I read that luci is quite easier and safer for beginners, but it looks like I've no choice than ssh upgrade.

It would help me to know the reason for using sysupgrade, when you have the time.
I'm not clear on the steps, if I reset to factory settings now I get the factory openwrt version not the factory manufacturer firmware.

up! please! thanks

Hi! I am using the psychowoods OpenWRT build with the LED and fan patch from asvio, and I was wondering, if there is a way to change the max temps (without rebuilding the whole firmware)? My router still gets hot, I don't think it impacts performance anymore, but I am just not comfortable with it reaching 70+°C
Thank you!

When you build a firmware for nbg7815 you get 3 different image:

kernel Image. this is the openwrt-*-initramfs-uImage.itb file. This image is for special use (debricking, special installation over factory image, ...) You must install sysupgrade image over it to get full openwrt.

factory image: this image is intended to use on GUI factory firmware, but it must be structure and compress with factory algorithms that at this momentthey are not known, so this factory image has no value at this moment.

sysupgrade image: Once the device is working on openwrt you can use this image to update your firmware.

As almost all current device the nbg7815 original firmware is base on openwrt so it is posible upgrade with sysupgrade image but with special process. The "flash_to_openwrt.sh" script prepare the original firmware and extract from openwrt's sysupgrade image what is needed to flash the router.

1 Like

There is no way.

If you can build around my nbg7815 branch, you get a new fan support base on @itorK work that can be configure via uci. It check cpu, nss, the 3 wifi radios and aqr113c chip temp. by default fan is switch on at around 75ºC and go off at 70ºC

An example for change max temp to 70º through uci:

uci set fanctld.config.Temp=70000
uci commit
service fanctld restart
1 Like

in my nbg7815 can i downgrade with same process as upgrade with sysupgrade image?

I've done it many times without problems, but there will always be a first time...

There have not yet been deep changes for this to happen

Is there a way on your @asvio current test build to use the 3GB p11 partition as the overlay mount?
i followed the thread here and @psychowood latest build doesnt seem to be able to use the extroot way anymore.

i think this is the patch psychowood was referring to https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/openwrt/patch/20190409180839.1815-1-ken@miller.ec/
But the third and last psychowood build is from Jun 30 and the last modification of the testing branche of asvio was 1 week ago.

I am very new to openwrt (but not to linux, hardware etc) - i just wanted to be able to install more packages in the future. But on the other hand i am not sure if it is usefull to risk destroying the emmc chip, as it is only emmc.

1 Like

The same question bothers me about QHora-301W where the partition is 2GB on the eMMC?

Sorry for not updating recently, but I've been away from home for a while and I can't really risk leaving the whole home offline :slight_smile:

I could prepare a blind patched build from latest asvio branch if you want to test it, just keep in mind it won't be tested.

You can do that, i would try the firmware then.
I could compile it by myself but was not sure yesterday if i just need to copy the code from the sourcecode box below the "Patch" Title from here https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/openwrt/patch/20190409180839.1815-1-ken@miller.ec/ into a .patch file or if i would need to create the patch file in another way.

I don't know about the linked one,
I was using is this one.

if you are compiling the latest testing firmware i will test it.
i was starting to compile it by myself with the linked patch but didnt get a working firmware till now.
i was not sure how to git clone the test branch and downloaded it manually now.
i was not sure if git clone -b nbg7815-test https://github.com/asvio/openwrt.git is actually doing the job - and for compiling i am using the docker image https://github.com/mwarning/docker-openwrt-build-env

in this posting Zyxel Armor Z2 (NBG6817) - 3GB extroot on 19.07 - #13 by utrumo he is writing one should activate block-mound and blockd - in your config is only block-mount activated, maybe you can try installing it and see if it makes a difference in your third firmware release.

My script basically is this one:

# rm -rf openwrt #commented, because of course :)
git clone -b nbg7815-test https://github.com/asvio/openwrt.git openwrt
cd openwrt
mkdir -p ./package/system/fstools/patches/
wget -O package/system/fstools/patches/001-add_propper_rootfs_and_fstab_discovery_on_a_block_device_partitions.patch https://github.com/openwrt/fstools/pull/1.diff
./scripts/feeds update -a
./scripts/feeds install -a
cp ../.config.bak .config # previously saved .config
make menuconfig # to re-check and validate the configuration
export CONFIG_VERSIONOPT=y
export CONFIG_VERSION_DIST="OpenWrt [ZyXEL NBG7815 with led fan patch] - $(date +'%Y%m%d-%H%M')"
make -j 4

I'm rebuilding an image right now, enabled blockd too, let's see if it changes something.

1 Like

You will have the same wifi problem in the first reboot. No problem with subsequent reboots.

My suggestion to flash firmware with blockd package included is to flash the new firmware through the cable, stopping the wpad service service wpad stop and restarting wifi after 60 s. have passed since the boot process finished. To automate this last step I have added the line sleep 60; wifi up at the end of rc.local.

I also suggest using the nbg7815 branch instead of nbg815-test, it's the one I've been using for a long time and I find it very stable and it has the plus of being able to change the fan control temperature.

1 Like

Hi everyone, I've just installed OpenWRT on the router but seeing very bad wifi speed on 5ghz on wifi6 device and on cable.
ATM it is going at max 300 Mbit/s and 450 Mbit/s on LAN.
With the router before I could go at 850 Mbit/s wifi and 1000 Mbit/s LAN
Any configuration suggestion for the router to make it go at max speed? I'm kinda new in OpenWRT and don't know the good practices.

Here the version I installed:

Kernel Version:6.1.35
Model:Zyxel NBG7815
Architecture:ARMv8 Processor rev 4
Firmware Version:OpenWrt [ZyXEL NBG7815 with led fan patch] SNAPSHOT r23466-8878c5a298

Also, If I create two networks that are with the same name, will the devices that connect to the router choose the best network that they should use or not? Do I need to create two separate networks for 2.4 and for 5 Ghz?

Below results from netperf:

speedtest-netperf.sh -H netperf-eu.bufferbloat.net -t 10
2023-08-16 09:40:01 Starting speedtest for 10 seconds per transfer session.
Measure speed to netperf-eu.bufferbloat.net (IPv4) while pinging gstatic.com.
Download and upload sessions are sequential, each with 5 simultaneous streams.
 Download: 870.03 Mbps
  Latency: [in msec, 11 pings, 0.00% packet loss]
      Min:  12.924
    10pct:  12.924
   Median:  18.236
      Avg:  22.660
    90pct:  25.537
      Max:  46.166
 CPU Load: [in % busy (avg +/- std dev) @ avg frequency, 9 samples]
     cpu0:  98.0 +/-  0.0  @ 1948 MHz
     cpu1:  16.8 +/-  2.7  @ 1895 MHz
     cpu2:  18.7 +/-  2.9  @ 1994 MHz
     cpu3:  16.9 +/-  3.6  @ 1822 MHz
 Overhead: [in % used of total CPU available]
  netperf:  16.6

For the wifi problem I suggest you use a more updated version of the firmware. If you also use an intel ax client I suggest you update the drivers, the latest drivers have given me a significant increase in performance. Currently in a local network using 8 threads with iperf3 I get 950mb upload and slightly less download.

C:\Users\asvio>iperf3 -c 192.168.1.2 -t 30 -P 8
Connecting to host 192.168.1.2, port 5201
[SUM]   0.00-30.01  sec  3.32 GBytes   951 Mbits/sec                  sender
[SUM]   0.00-30.09  sec  3.32 GBytes   948 Mbits/sec                  receiver

iperf Done.
C:\Users\asvio>iperf3 -c 192.168.1.2 -t 30 -P 8 -R
Connecting to host 192.168.1.2, port 5201
Reverse mode, remote host 192.168.1.2 is sending
[SUM]   0.00-30.02  sec  3.08 GBytes   881 Mbits/sec    9             sender
[SUM]   0.00-30.00  sec  3.06 GBytes   875 Mbits/sec                  receiver

iperf Done.

If the problem is the speed of access through the wan interface, it usually occurs if you use a pppoe connection, keep in mind that these versions perform all their functions through the cpu and doing nat, wifi and pppoe can saturate it.
Without pppoe you could reach 1.2-1.5 Gb/s with pppoe I don't know where the limit is.
When a version with nns-offloading support is operational you will have no problem reaching the actual hardware cap but to date I have not gotten a version without problems. The current version with nss-offloading works more or less well on lan and with great performance, but it has a lot of connection problems with wan which makes it unusable for normal use.

The original firmware, as usual, has this function so the performance is much higher.