OpenWrt on TP-Link TD-W8968 V4

This question might have been asked in past and concluded that there is no hardware support for TP-Link TD-W8968 V4.
Compatible hardware list says Openwrt is compatible with TD-W8968 V3.
However, there are couple of post where it is said that V3 firmware is also compatible with V4.

However, if so, it is not updated in compatible device list.
I am new to openwrt and not software person. Hence, difficult for me to go to very detail of V3 and V4 and various post to conclude if it works.
Does anyone ( @_Menouar, @Rohitdk1998) who tried it can confirm if V3 firmware works also on V4 without any issue?

As someone who owned a w8960 v5, I cannot recommend trying openwrt on a W8968 v4

Hi,
Thanks for your reply?
Can you share reason for not recommending?
Is it not stable enough or TP-Link firmware gives better performance?

it only has partial wireless support, best you will get is 54mb/s see:
https://openwrt.org/unsupported/wifi_2.4ghz_partly
that's due to the chipset, so the TP-Link firmware will give better performance due to proprietary drivers

1 Like

Yes, indeed V3 firmware works on V4 just fine (for my use case). I have been using and updating it for 4 years now.
Also, if you want to revert back to the original firmware here is my guide on it: Need your help to revert to TP-Link TD-W8968 v4 firmware

1 Like

If someone provides the hardware specs of v4, I can create a dataentry for it.

1 Like

How can I do that?

Open the device and take pictures of the PCB, in a quality which is suitable for reading the text on the chips.

1 Like

This is the best I can do. However, if you want a picture of a specific chip just let me know.
Imgur