OpenWrt on Proxmox: poor Wifi

Hi,
I try to run OpenWrt on an Intel NUC under proxmox 8.2.2 as an AP.
Goal is to retire another OpenWrt-AP for energy-saving reasons.

The wifi-nic is PCI-"passthroughed" to the openwrt vm.
What I experience is an awfull Wifi performance (16 MBit/s speedtest.net).
IPerf to the proxmox-openwrt router gives more than 300 MBit/s.
So it is not a cabling issue.

This is the Wifi-nic of the NUC:

root@pve:~# lspci
01:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 8265 / 8275 (rev 78)

Here are the relavant entries from dmesg:

root@OpenWrt:~# dmesg | grep iw
[ 4.250896] iwlwifi 0000:00:10.0: loaded firmware version 36.ca7b901d.0 8265-36.ucode op_mode iwlmvm
[ 4.267486] iwlwifi 0000:00:10.0: Detected Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless AC 8265, REV=0x230
[ 4.328451] iwlwifi 0000:00:10.0: base HW address: f8:59:71:e8:e4:ff, OTP minor version: 0x0
[ 4.405819] ieee80211 phy0: Selected rate control algorithm 'iwl-mvm-rs'

Another point is, that there is only one Radio in Luci, where I can select the two or five GHz band. Obviously the nic does not support both bands in parallel.

Anything missing?
Any ideas?

Intel WiFi cards are known to have poor support for AP mode operation.

Further, your potential performance is severely limited when using a pci wifi card inside an x86 system as compared to a regular “plastic” AP.

Energy savings may also not be realized as compared to a purpose built WiFi router device unless you are talking about a very low power x86 system.

There are also a number of reasons to avoid a virtualized router environment - bare metal is usually best.

See this long thread for an extensive discussion on the matter:

Thanks for your reply.
I think, you're right.

As the NUC runs 24/7 (there are a couple other vms on it), I thought it was worth a try to save roundabout 5W baseload.
The NUC idles with 7W, when OpenWrt is started, it goes up to 8,5 W.
But when the performance is unusable, its useless.

Btw:
I was running opnsense for a couple of years as a proxmox vm without any issues. I switched it off to reduce the complexity in my home network a little bit
(Just in opposite of running an AP in proxmox) :slight_smile:

Not sure about proxmox but in place of passthrough you can spin up radio device from host then bridge to routing guest.
ymmv i did that only for client.

Nice idea.
Perhaps I can build the AP directly on proxmox (debian). Then the OpenWrt vm would be obsolet.

Better wifi card highly recommended, no matter software choices. AP dual band m2 card will be more expensive than basic plastic box AP.

I'll give it a try tomorrow.
If it doesn't work satisfiyingly, i'll stick with the RT3200-AP (best router I ever had :slight_smile: )

How so? I've been using Qualcomm Atheros based miniPCIe modules in an PCEngines APU2 for years and the performance is actually slightly better than my trusted TP-Link Archer C7 v2 (which, ironically, uses a miniPCIe module for its 5GHz radio).

So, I agree on the "avoid Intel" part of the answer, but not PCIe modules per se. That being said, I haven't had the chance to try wifi 6 modules.

These are generally what I’m referring to as potentially problematic, lower performance, and expensive relative to plastic box devices. Combined with the fact that a plastic box ap has an array of antennas that have been designed, optimized and calibrated for best performances.