OpenWRT on a Acer Aspire D150

You can change the lan interface to DHCP client, instead of static IP, to your existing network.

In that way, you'll be able to DL and install packed directly from internet.

As for the log, ssh to the router, then you get a scroll back feature in the ssh client.

I have another idea. What if I add an Ethernet/Usb adapter to it, plug it to my main router and get both LAN and WAN interfaces?

That will work too.

USB adapter might/will require additional packages too.

OMG! It is turning into an ordeal this setup :joy:

Anyway, if it works, are the packages going to be installed in the usb drive.
Thanks

Maybe it is better to change the lan interface to dhcp client and download the packages as you suggested, then set everything up as needed.

ok I did it again!

I found this thread:

installed these packages via CLI:

opkg install kmod-rt2800-lib kmod-rt2800-usb kmod-rt2x00-lib kmod-rt2x00-usb

got the wireless adapter working.

I ran scan to set it as a WAN interface. I found the AP, set credentials but it didn't connect:

why?

1 Like

If you do another Scan, does it still find the AP?

Do not click the "Join this Network" button again. If a setting needs to be changed (e.g. the PSK key or the SSID of the AP has changed), edit the client interface.

Yes, it finds the AP. How can I change the setting if I don't join the network first?
Thanks

maybe this can be the issue:

Yeah, you'll need that package for WPA support.

ok I had to reboot. It works now.

Making also the ethernet/usb adapter work would be the next step hopefully.

Thanks

lsusb from usbutils FTW, or just watch the log again.

1 Like

I wanted to change the openwrt IP address from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.33.1, but I probably screw something up because my pc connected to the Openwrt router can ping internet but can't resolve name anymore
Could you help me set everything up on the LAN side properly?
Thanks

Try adding nameserver 8.8.8.8 to /etc/resolv.conf.

Does the setup in the resolv.conf file not go away once you reboot?

Anyway, I connected the Openwrt to another AP. I can resolve names now, and by running nslookup I see the it get the DNS server IP from the WAN. I didn't know why it didn't work the same with the other AP. Now, I don't want it to get the DNS server IP from WAN, but I want to set it manually, and enable OpenWRT to give these DNS IPs to clients connected to the OPENWRT Lan side
Thank you again for your help. I learned a lot about OpenWRT just within a bunch of hours.

Yes, it does.

I keep changing DNS setup everywhere in the Openwrt options (WAN, LAN, whatever) but when I execute a nslookup on my a client pc it still shows me the DNS server IP which was given to it via WAN.
I don't know what else to do.

That's not the default, but also not the end of the world.

I'll try to figure it out.
Can the wifi dongle I plugged in, which works as WAN now, work also as an AP at the same time? Mikrotik devices can do that.

Thanks and Happy Holidays.

that is hw and driver specific, trial and error, unfortunately.

using the same wifi dongle ?