OpenWRT/LEDE Merger - WHEN?

Do you happen to have a link where devs solicit monetary donations?

AFAIK there is no possibility to make donations of any kind. Not yet.

I did some digging in the above linked mailing list early September when I was buying a few new routers.

From what I gathered then, they were stuck on bureaucratic transfer process for a few month. The original agreement stipulated that the ownership of some OpenWRT assets be transferred to the free software non-profit Software in the Public Interest. The merger got stalled there from July to early October.

That is cleared up now. You can read about some of the new October merger discussions of the mailing list, but all seems administrative.

Please be thankful to all those contributors who are doing great work while still finding time to deal with administrative issues.

After the merger, can we do away with the silly mixed drink recipe thing and just go with version
numbers. Bad enough ubuntu and debian do the silly name thing. It really makes projects look stupid-
like they are run by a bunch of nose ringed kids. Sadly, the 90's are over. Long time ago. It was a great decade,
don't get me wrong, but it's over. Can we have grownup version numbers after the merger and lose the silly names?

Does that make the firmware better?

I don't know what your idea of "grown-up version numbers" is, but as for the release nicknames: Yes, they have been dropped.

I don't think you have installed LEDE if you are still seeing the Mixed drink's. As far as I know since 17.01.1 that has disappeared.

ssh

Something moves :smiley:

Compiled last night and now I have:
OpenWrt %N SNAPSHOT r5483-abdf0de / LuCI Master (git-17.328.04231-802d5b6)

Start your own thread.

This topic is about something entirely different.

Thanks.

shouldn't it be something like r55483?

LEDE codebase was rebranded as Openwrt a few hours ago, so @craz was quite on top of things.
So, merge is happening NOW.
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/lede-adm/2017-December/date.html
See the last 10 commits here:
https://git.lede-project.org/?p=source.git;a=shortlog;h=d2c06eb0756dea5f473a34b3eb391517318f4132

The revision seems to continue on LEDE basis ( as the codebase continues from LEDE). At least for now. The whole thing is more or less just about renaming LEDE as Openwrt.

1 Like

I don't check commits, but I see what you're saying.

My apologies to @craz

2 Likes

compiled today and ssh banner says OpenWRT. That's better because i am tired of explaining to people when i recommend this OS what LEDE is and what openwrt was. Now i'll simply recommend OpenWRT everybody knows what it is :slight_smile:

1 Like

Please, anyone, release ASAP a OpenWRT dumb release as 17.01.5 or 17.02.0 or 18.0.0 and end with this switching nightmare for god sake !!!

2 Likes

What is your issue dude?

What nightmare are you talking about

Pretty simple, actually.

Code base will still be LEDE.

The only thing that will change is the name (branding).

@hnyman, @tmomas -- The README files of my packages in OpenWrt repo have links to the lede-project and/or OpenWrt forums. What will happen to the forums after the merger?

If I'll be sending pull requests for other (besides changes to README) reasons in the mean time:

1. should I only use OpenWrt name and not LEDE Project?
  2. should I keep the forum links in or should I replace them with something like "look for thread on OpenWrt/LEDE Project forum"?

I think that nobody knows. So far the merger plan (in the mailing list) just says "TBD" ... both forums and wikis will remain as they are...

http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/lede-adm/2017-May/000517.html

wiki / forum

• TBD
  • asking in either forum/wiki will get a biased vote so keep them both
    around
  • start a separate discussion regarding these post remerge
1 Like

Since the snapshot images have already been renamed to OpenWrt, I guess you should only use OpenWrt.

1 Like

Nothing unresolved actually but all around this have been troublesome, I got support for some devices that I have on OpenWrt but not on LEDE (my PogoPlug Mobile for example), I got on LEDE but not on OpenWrt, I wanted to download LEDE a few days ago and all links were redirected to the same but in filename on the URL was replaced by OpenWrt, resulting on 404 error (I got to use a mirror), I read that this forum will not be anymore or be migrated to the old interface of the forum (this forum at least to me is by far more easier to deal that the previous one. Even people writing tend to be more concise actually, and collaborative, etc etc....

It seems that I overreacted, I apologize for that.