OpenWrt Firmware for Archer c6 v3.2

Hi All,

I just looked up the Router database and ordered a TP-Link Archer C6 to install OpenWRT and setup VPN on it. However, I have received version 3.2 from the seller and not v2 which has support as per the database.

The key difference being that v3.2 has a different chipset (MediaTek7621DAT) and not Broadcom!
https://wikidevi.wi-cat.ru/TP-LINK_Archer_C6_v3.0

Now I would have even tried to install the C5 or any other OpenWRT version that supports MediaTek but I even the Stock Firmware is not available anywhere for download (just in case things go wrong & I brick it)

Here is what I am looking for:

1. Is there any other version / router firmware that i can try on this router?
  2. Is there a likelihood for this to be supported in future (so i wait instead of messing around with the router)
  3. Can someone share the link to stock firmware so that if i try I can at least go back (unless I totally brick it for good!)
  4. If someone has gone through this drill and has any experience to share, pls do.

Thank you!

v2 is a qualcon chipset...
v3 is a MT7621... It is supported by openwrt (it have hardware acceleration)...
In Brazil, TPLink have the stock firmware in their site.

I dont know if it is the sabe hardware as yours, so be careful...

Thanks for your response, yes somehow when I check in my region it’s not there!!thanks for sharing the firmware..

Would you know which openWRT version will work as there is nothing listed for c6 v3.2 on the download page..

Cheers!

The C6 v3 and v3.2 are not compatible yet... But the chipset is supported, and the wireless drivers are supported too... It just need that someone port the router...

Hmm... Thanks... I guess will have to wait this out...

Support for the A6 v3 is being discussed here:

The C6U and C6 v3 appear to be at least very similar, so supporting the v3.20 probably won't be that hard.

Edit: comparing the C6 v3.20's firmware to that of the A6 v3, the kernel and file system appear to be identical. The flash layout is also identical, so maybe you can even already try booting an A6v3 initramfs if you have serial access.

Hey Thanks for the suggestion. Do you mean A5?
I cant see the firmware for A6 and then one that do is a Qualcom not MT.

A5 on the other hand has similar processor although a higher spec CPU...

Or am i missing something.

Cheers!

No, definitely A6 v3. TP-Link doesn't list all hardware version for a specific region. The us page has v3, but e.g. the nl-be page doesn't.

Ah my bad...you are talking about stock firmware
i was thinking OpenWRT alternative :slight_smile:

I got the stock already from the brazil site posted by @gaspare above...

So now i need to find a viable OpenWRT build to experiment...

Cheers!