OpenWrt AP bridge

Hello everyone.

I'm new to OpenWRT. Just yesterday I had my first "big moment" when I was flashing my first ever Access Point with OpenWRT. It was rather stressful as I'm not that proficient with Linux and was afraid of bricking my devices. Anyway.... My goal and the reason for going OpenWRT is as follows.

I need to connect two LANs together using a wireless link. Both LANs have static IPs. There’s no device on either side providing DHCP. Because of this I immediately thought about a wireless bridge using two Access Points (APs). My required topology is shown below:

I thought that a great way to do it would be to use the TP-Link EAP225-Outdoor as it was supposed to have meshing functionality, which would solve my problem and then some if I ever needed to additionally spread out my LANs. The problem became apparent after I’ve bought those units, as TP-Links’ meshing is simply put – a lie. On top of that, these units DON’T have bridging functionalities (because why would they, they can “mesh”, right?). So that’s the reason for OpenWRT. I’ve followed setup tutorials online but unfortunately computers on LAN 1 can’t ping computers on LAN 2 and vice versa. I should clarify that both APs run OpenWRT with the latest sysupdate for their hardware.

Here’s what I did:

AP1 is creating two Wi-Fi networks with different SSIDs on different frequencies. These are configured as Master networks on the AP1. DHCP disabled.

AP2 has two wireless interfaces configured as Clients which connect to Master networks from AP1.

I’ve downloaded and installed “relayd” and “luci-proto-relay” on AP2. In order to do so I’ve created a new interface which I’ve used to connect (using an Ethernet connection) to my Internet router (that connection is disabled in my final configuration).

I’ve set up a relay bridge on the AP2 which connects WAN and LAN interface (the one with static IP).

In theory this should work. I’ve set up the IPv4 address on the bridge configuration screen to be in the same group (also visible in the images).

My result is that a PC connected to the AP2 (Client) can ping AP1, AP2 and a PC connected to the AP1 but the PC connected to AP1 can only ping AP1. Nothing more.

If anyone could spare a minute to help, I’d be most grateful.

Best regards,
Rafał

I hope these images will turn out to be helpful where my lack of know-how has prevented me from formulating my thoughts clearly.

Again. Thanks for any help you can spare.
Best regards,
Rafał

Consider using WDS or 802.11s

3 Likes

Use sniping tool to take screenshots
To activate Snip & Sketch, use the keyboard shortcut Windows Key + Shift + S .

1 Like

I know, but those PCs are on a separate network with no internet access. Taking pictures was the fastest way to go. Sorry,

Do you need wifi access on either side of the network?
Do you need fast roaming?

For WDS

For 802.11s aka Mesh

Hi. Thanks for trying to help me :slight_smile:
No. Wi-Fi is only required for bridging purposes. No PCs are going to be connected wirelessly.
Also, no fast roaming needed. There are going to be just two APs bridged. Nothing more for now.

With my limited knowledge, go for WDS.
Do post your guide once it is working.

1 Like

Ok. I'll try doing the LuCI route of the WDS. Will post when done/stuck :slight_smile:

I think in WDS, you simply set Primary router as a AP.
All setting are to be done in repeater/secondary router.

Even better: @rafalty: Please just copy/paste the text configuration files. Those are 1) more readable to check for errors and 2) searchable so people with a similar problem can find your post and (hopefully) a solution.

This calls for one being AP (WDS) and the other STA (WDS). Do not try to make two connections with both bands all bridged together. That is a network loop and it will break the network. ac mode on the 5 GHz band is much faster than n on 2.4 anyway, so there's no point in trying this highly asymmetric link aggregation. If you don't need local wifi, leave the 2.4 radio disabled.

You can also use regular AP - STA if the two networks are different IP subnets. Establish symmetric routing with the routing tables. Since you trust everything in both networks, place them both in the lan firewall zone, which will allow forwarding in both directions. This is not NAT. Don't use relayd.

1 Like