OpenWrt AP bridge

Create a 802.11s mesh. Its as easy as creating same networks (using mesh instead of client) on both and assignment to lan, then they automatically pair up.

Not noob-friendly but yes it will provide searchable data.

It's kind of a bummer. I was hoping to be able to use two bands (2.4 and 5.1) as sometimes 5.1 can drop due to interference/obstacles. Is there really no way to set up a bridge between LAN and two WANs?

Where you able to setup between both AP On a single band?

Sorry. No.

I've done all the steps presented in

in the LuCi section.

The Master Router (AP1 192.168.82.4) has two Wi-Fi networks set up as Access Point (WDS).

Their Network is set to LAN.

LAN has a static IP 192.168.82.4

The Client Router (192.168.82.3) has only one wireless network configured as Client (WDS).

It's on the same Channel and has the same width.

It's network is set to HH (that's my static LAN interface. I use LAN for a dynamic DHCP connection in order to be able to download openWrt packages from the web)

HH has a static address 192.168.82.3

HH has a IP4 gateway set to 192.168.82.4 (Master AP) - should I use a port here? 192.168.82.4/24?

HH has firewall settings set to LAN.

HH has DNS disabled.

Network -> Interfaces -> Devices -> br_lan has STP set up.

The Master AP can detect that someone is connected to the wireless network. For a moment it was even reporting AP2s' IP address. Now it just says '?'. Other than that communication is strictly local. PCs can ping respective APs and nothing more.

I've made a backup of the cofig files but I don't know how to post it here.

P.S.
thanks for the help you've provided so far.

You don't need gateways for traffic within the same LAN. The only place to ever use option gateway is within the network that is connected to the Internet, if it is configured with a static IP (DHCP and pppoe will set gateway automatically as the upstream service pushes the setting). This (default) gateway is the next router upstream on the way to the Internet.

The /24 notation is not a port, it is the subnet size, and it is important. When configuring static IPs you need to use a netmask or subnet with enough size to include all the other IPs in the LAN. The /24 (or netmask 255.255.255.0) is a common choice which means that everything 192.168.82.X will be in the subnet. If you only use option ipaddr without specifying the subnet you get a /32 configuration, which means only the one machine and it won't route to others in 192.168.82.

1 Like

Thanks @mk24 for clarifying that for me, but still... getting rid of the gateway IP (regardless of having a set up netmask) changes nothing. Still no connection between LANs :frowning:
Is there a way to upload config files here? I know that I'm doing something wrong. I would really love to know what it is.

Hi.
It seems that WDS is not working for me. I have no idea what I am doing wrong :frowning: . I have a question regarding setting up a mesh. I want everything to have static IPs on both APs.
Should I configure my Master AP like normal (static IP + a wireless network bridged with the LAN interface) or do I need to do something ā€˜specialā€™ to this devicesā€™ configuration?

Remember to redact passwords, MAC addresses, and any public IP addresses you may have
Post the following output:

cat /etc/config/network
cat /etc/config/wireless
1 Like

For mesh the configuration acts just like a lan cable b/w your 2 routers nothing more.. just assign static ips on everything you want.
You can create a 802.11s mesh and have to attach it to lan, same name and passwords on both sides and they automatically connect.

Hi @Nico1320,
thanks for helping. Does your request for network and wireless config refers to WDS or mesh setups?

@AashishAS you make is sound so easy :slight_smile: WDS was supposed to be easy too and still I've screwed something up so..... :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

He just asked for the setting, which will help OpenWrt experts to find the issue/s with your configuration.
Remember to redact passwords, MAC addresses, and any public IP addresses you may have

it will look like the below, this is part of my wireless configuration file.

cat /etc/config/wireless

config wifi-device 'radio0'
       option type 'mac80211'
       option hwmode '11g'
       option path 'platform/ahb/18100000.wmac'
       option cell_density '0'
       option htmode 'HT40'
       option channel 'auto'

config wifi-device 'radio1'
       option type 'mac80211'
       option hwmode '11a'
       option path 'pci0000:00/0000:00:00.0'
       option cell_density '0'
       option htmode 'HT40'
       option channel '161'

I'm really sorry to go behind your back like that guys but I was getting soooooo super frustrated with all of this, so I've reset both APs and ran the Mesh guide you've provided @KOA. And..... it WORKED!

It freakin' worked! I am so happy right now :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

(I normally despise capital letters, but I feel like I need to make an exception here) YOU GUYS ARE SUPER COOL!!!! THANK YOU ALL SOOOO VERY MUCH!

Thank you KOA , Nico1320 , mk24 , AashishAS !!!! (there seems to be a limit to how many people I can mention in a post, so I've removed the '@s')

P.S.

If I could, I would have one question though. As it stands now, the mesh uses only one band ā€“ 5.1 GHz. I was thinking of running a second one. 2.4 GHz range is crowded, I know, but at least It can propagate through something. Not like the 5.1 GHz range, which gets stopped by foliage. Any tips on how to set up a second network? Iā€™m assuming itā€™s similar to the first one, but the problem Iā€™m foreseeing is that there needs to be an additional step(s) for bridging it with the LAN interface.

Update:
I've just found out how to do it and I've tested it! It works! So basically all you have to do is set up a second wireless network (in my case on the 2.4GHz range). Do the configuration as you did the first time around. And then enable STP in Interfaces -> Devices. Now, since I've read that setting up a second wireless network bridged to LAN without STP can crash your network, and I was doing remote config of my second AP at this point, I've set up STP first and then continued with adding a new wireless network. It works great. I could disable one network remotely to see if I still could get a connection and I can. It takes a few seconds for LuCi to update but pings only say it took them around 30 ms to recover, which is super cool :slight_smile:

I just can't belive how easy it was to set up a mesh now! To anyone who will (but hopefully won't have to) be struggling with a problem of bridging two LAN without the need for internet access here's what I did (and it's all just thanks to the lovely people here at the OpenWRT forum!):

Keep in mind these steps were for the EAP225-Outdoor and OpenWRT 21.02 version. Iā€™m guessing they should be universal though.

1. Reset APs

2. Get internet access for both APs as there's some house cleaning needed to be done. For my first AP Iā€™ve set up a static IP in my Internet subnet and got that working fine. For my second AP, for the love of God I wasnā€™t able to do it. I just got ā€œcheck network connectionā€ errors when refreshing the Software list. So, Iā€™d set up a wireless connection to my wireless Internet network and was able to proceed. Why was that needed? Donā€™t knowā€¦. Anyway.

3. Both APs need to have their wpad_mesh_xxx packages deleted and have other packages (from the Internet) installed. I ran with the wpad_mesh_openssl.

4. Both APs need to have the same wireless network created. Same: mode (802.11s), netowrk (lan) mesh-id (itā€™s like an SSID ā€¦ but for mesh! :stuck_out_tongue: ), band, channel, encryption, and password.

5. The mesh (not the main) AP should have the: firewall, dnsmasq, odhcpd disabled and stopped (just to be sure). Itā€™s in the System -> Startup section.

After setting up the second APsā€™ wireless network (the mesh one, not the main one) you should see an associated network of your main AP. That was not the case for me personally as I had to reboot both APs to see it.

After that, for me it was just a matter of changing the IPs in my LAN interfaces and I was off to the races. Iā€™ve firstly used the ping function on the APs in the System -> Diagnostics section to see if both APs can reach each other. After that Iā€™ve hooked them up to my two LANs and stated pinging like crazy! It doesnā€™t even matter which AP you fire up first, which is additionally cool.

as they say on Youtube, smash the like button.
A few screenshots with the explanation will help future users.

And again: they won't be searchable. Mastering some basic command line skills is essential if you want to do any kind of serious troubleshooting.

Furthermore, if the documentation did what it needs to do - and it seems so, after all - then sharing those exact same settings is redundant. They're already documented.

1 Like

I mean, what was the issue which was preventing WDS to work in this case?

Who knows it might be a simple 'comma which could have been preventing WDS to work.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.