OpenWrt 21.02.2 Second service release

Hi, thanks to all the developer and supporter for their great work.

Just one question, can't find the Netgear RAXE500 page nor in the table of hardware. Do you have a link or a hint for me?

Thnx
sindbd6

sysupgrade, and you can't keep setting as DSA happened between them.

1 Like

Website still needs updating.

3 Likes

MT7621 builds don't seem to be updated before the official release, as the build date is still showing as February 18.

For some devices, 5 GHz WiFi is broken. Enabling it from LuCI makes the router reboot, and then it reverts to disabled state. Router is bricked on force enabling it, and also on flashing 21.02.2 with earlier configuration preserved (with 5 GHz WiFi enabled).

Affected devices are TP-Link Archer A6 v3, Linksys E5600, and possibly others.

I and others reported this issue earlier on the forum and GitHub as well, but it seems to not have been fixed prior to the 21.02.2 release.

4 Likes

Deep thanks to the developers. Special the LuCI devs, I like the UI

Did you use an image file provided by OpenWrt or your own build ? Using your own build allows you to include openvpn package (and others), that's what I do. You can keep the settings while upgrading, and it works direcly after reboot.

2 Likes

I used the one provided

For the TP-Link Archer A6 v3 (and possibly others) pressing the reset button for 5+ seconds several times while it is in the reboot loop eventually does reset OpenWrt to defaults breaking the reboot loop due to enabling 5Ghz.

1 Like

Netgear R6260 upgraded. I kept the previous config. Everything works fine. But the routerIP/cgi-bin/luci/admin/system/opkg/ -> updates tab shows following packages available. Is this normal? Are the individual packages released on a different schedule? In general, if the package was not part of the original image (I installed it, e.g. wireguard) is it safe to upgrade?

libwolfssl5.1.1.99a5b54a
luci-base git-22.046.85957-59c3392 » git-22.052.50801-31a27f3
luci-theme-bootstrap git-22.047.35373-cc582eb » git-22.052.81802-2dba71e
rpcd 2021-03-11-ccb75178-1 » 2022-02-19-8d26a1ba-1
rpcd-mod-file 2021-03-11-ccb75178-1 » 2022-02-19-8d26a1ba-1
rpcd-mod-iwinfo 2021-03-11-ccb75178-1 » 2022-02-19-8d26a1ba-1

router wrt1900acs v2
Software flow offloading it is no longer found in the firewall menu in this version ?

Per the announcement.

2 Likes

Hi, first of all congrats for the release! Thank you and keep on your amazing work! :slight_smile:
I planned to update to the new release today, but i'm wondering why you guys have not updated the homepage so far. Are there any issues or concerns about release so the announcement has not been done yet on openwrt.org?

Hello, Netgear R7800 upgraded uneventfully from 21.02.1 to 21.02.2 via sysupgrade using the web interface and retaining settings.
Thank you devs, for the hard work!

I had soft reset it a while ago using the failsafe mode, triggered by pressing and holding the reset button with the router powered on.

Pressing and holding the reset button, a few times, did not work for me.

Anyhow, I reverted to the stock firmware as even on master builds 5 GHz WiFi was quite unstable and its performance was not good on OpenWrt. Open source WiFi driver is to blame I have read.

Learn how to create your own build with the image builder, it's very convinient. The image builder is included in the directory of each target, just select the one you need.
https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/21.02.2/targets/ramips/mt76x8/openwrt-imagebuilder-21.02.2-ramips-mt76x8.Linux-x86_64.tar.xz
You can create a build customized with the packages you need. It's ready to start. If you upgrade, you can keep the settings. If you install from scratch, you just need to restore the settings.

You can also use an online image builder.
https://chef.libremesh.org/

3 Likes

Yes, these packages have upgraded since the initial release.

Yes, each package is managed by different developpers and can be updated any time.

It is recommended to create and flash a custom build. You will have all packages uptodate. Upgrading individual packages can result in severe issues or even bricking. I doubt that you can upgrade rpcd for example.

1 Like

I don't have access to that list but I'm working on it, sorry for the inconvenience!

2 Likes

Heads up it seems this commit here introduces a different UCI default for freshly flashed images. Instead of hwmode the more flexible band option in now present in /etc/config/wireless. I got reports from people where this change broke their scripts, I'm very sorry for the inconvenience!

3 Likes

The MiktroTik hAP ac3 firmware files are not available but this was already merged ?

Are you sure this is part of the 21.02.2 release? I don't see it being back ported.

1 Like