OpenWrt 21.02.2 Issues - Pre-Release Announcement

Until it's officially announced there's the possibility of packages/builds being redone.

I have succesfuly upgraded 2 routers from 21.02.1 to 21.02.2 : GL-MV1000 and RB750Gr3.
To be fair, only the Mikrotik RB750Gr3 had a sysupgrade available.

So I made a backup of both, flashed and manually installed the needed packages (banIP, adblock, wireguard, vpn bypass, vnstat2) then restored the backup config. Is that considered as a new installation ?

Then I tried SQM Cake that I did not know before and it is excellent. I did not run these routers for a long time because I realized that FreshTomato has QoS Cake too and wanted to try it in this old RT-AC68U.

Under 21.02.1, the RB750Gr3 had a bug that made traffic counting on the WAN interface almost as double as what it really was (visible in real time display and vnstat graphs). It seemed fixed for the first few hours then started to bug again.

I've been running the Meraki MR33 update to 21.02.2 (successful upgrade from 21.02.01) for some days now and it has been very reliable across multiple modes and frequencies across its 3 antennae. No issues whatsoever. Looks solid!

I had 21.02.1 running on my WRT3200ACM for some time now with no issues. Should I expect problems when upgrading to21.02.2?

Can anyone who had WDS Bridging issues in 21.02.0 and 21.02.1 tell if it's been fixed in 21.02.02?

Official announcement of 21.02.2 is out now.
Please head over to

4 Likes

Now that 21.02.2 is officially out, I had a look at the release notes and the detailed changelog, but I didn't find any information related to a fix/patch of the mwlwifi-firmware-88w8864 package, that is used for some Linksys devices like WRT1900ACS and WRT3200ACM (target: mvebu).
Although, some user like @Stiel in this thread reported that 20.02.2 is now working better, without having to issue the

commands at startup for example.
Is there an official confirmation of this fix on 21.02.2 ?

Well, on the patch to fix wifi for the openwrt 21 issue, the fix was added to mainline, and ppl said it was being added on 21.02.2 release.
To be honest wifi works good, but seems sometime there is some disconnection.
BUT i compiled before official release, so i have to update my build and try after the official release.
Before this, i used purefusion and was working perfectly, now my samsung Qled sometimes remain without connection, meanwhile my galaxy have wifi connection, which is a symptom of the wifi bug.
I agree we would need a clarification, if the wifi fix have been really implemented on 21.02.2 release or not.

You are conflating two different issues, the AMSDU issue on 88W8864 FW persists ( presumably until the end of time), the mac80211 fix is in.

It's worth noting the newer mvebu routers, WRT3200ACM and WRT32X use the 88W8964 and don't have that AMSDU issue.

The 21.02.2 release finally includes the mac80211 bug fix though, can confirm it's quite stable been using it for months (75 day uptime) on a master snapshot build with my WRT32X.

Ouch, didn't know sorry.
Thanks for the explanation, so that fix is needed for wrt1900acs but not for wrt3200 and wrt32x.
Roger that! :grinning:

Upgraded my wrt3200acm from 19.07.8 to a 21.02.2 Snapshot about 3 weeks ago. Everything seems to be working quite reliable so far.

I might consider updating to the official 21.02.2 release maybe next weekend. Honestly I don't want to touch this device anymore, as long as it is working :sweat_smile:
It's been a real nightmare eversince :exploding_head:

My exact version is: OpenWrt 21.02-SNAPSHOT r16475-6d266ef158 / LuCI openwrt-21.02 branch git-22.036.36928-b620cca

Anyone know is since the Kernal 5.10.100 if SQM QoS has been fixed? It always says kernel incompatible issue. I'm on a WRT32X with PureFusion-ActionBuild I have also tried the Divested Build all throw same error since Kernel 5.10.96 after the new switches to fw4 it stated "some packages depend on fw3 (banip) and others fw4 (sqm) causing conflict". Any updates on that by chance? Thanks!

Several IPQ806x devices (netgear,r7800 and tplink,c2600) running fine after upgrade from 21.02.1 to 21.02.2 with kept configs (several VLANs; these devices do not yet run with DSA).

Not exactly sure what those are but if they contain custom kernel stuff then you would need a matching kernel module build and can't just rely on regular feeds.

1 Like

SQM cake works great for me. 500 mbits down / 35 mbits up, A+ bufferbloat, A+ quality tests, been running a Master snapshot for 3 month uptime with a WRT32X. Keeping it running until nftables has been tested a bit longer.

Probably some issue with these custom builds your using. Just run a master snapshot.

Looks like the only thing that needs to be fixed are those custom builds.

1 Like

After upgrading my linksys e5600 to 21.02.2 by downloading sysupgrade firmware from https://firmware-selector.openwrt.org/ i found that 5ghz radio was disabled , i tried to enable the radio After enabling, the router reboots and 5ghz radio still shows disabled. i tried to install firmware by reset setting to default but same issue.

Since there is the Official announcement OpenWrt 21.02.2 Second service release, there's no need to have two topics for 21.02.2. Please continue the discussion in the linked topic. Thanks! :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 3 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.