OpenWrt 21.02.0 first release candidate

Thanks a lot! I will try RC2 when it is out and let you know.

Any documentation on DSA config?
I tried rc1 on a Netgear r6220 and I had to reset the config (as advertised), but I couldn't find a way to manually restore my switch configuration (some VLANs, no fancy stuff).
Had to go back to 19.07.

2 Likes

Tplink archer c7v5, 21.02rc.1. I can configure mesh with wpa3-sae through luci but it does not start up. Ct drivers are the problem here , it throws an error to the log like "sicsiofflags error - ifup_error " for the mesh interface. As soon as I replace them with ath10k non ct drivers the mesh interface comes up again. How to solve it? Do I need an update?

Tested on my TP-Link CPE 610v1. The result is a bootloop and I had to recover to the the Vendor Firmware. I believe all the TP-Link CPE devices based on the same SOC will probably also bootloop. EG the CPE210 v1, CPE510 V2 etc.

I'm in the same boat - sticking with 19.07. Could DSA be reverted back to swconfig in 21.02? VLAN functionality loss seems like an awfully big regression for a stable release.

change != loss

Why can't it be fixed-forward?

BTW - Does this also break vlan trunking/Router-on-a-Stick implementations?

Sysupgrade from 18.06 to 21.02 is not supported.

While I'm fairly confident all this statement means is that "keep config" is not supported, I wish to be certain, so by any chance is what it's saying instead is to use the new install factory image instead of the sysupgrade image?

OpenWrt 21.02 stable version series ???

My opinion: Put this version in the trash as quickly as possible.

I remain at version 17.07.5

To be honest, no one said a “release candidate” is stable. RC is only a nicer looking name for beta test, or prototype.
It will according to plan go to trash in the near future and highly probably be replaced with RC2 before a stable version maybe is released.

But You should be able to easy switch for something more modern like 19.07.7 if you have 17.07.5.

5 Likes

For stable version i have read the first 4 lines at top of the topic

The OpenWrt community is proud to announce the first release candidate of the upcoming OpenWrt 21.02 stable version series. It incorporates over 5800 commits since branching the previous OpenWrt 19.07 release and has been under development for about one and a half year.

For 19.0.7.7 if i remember not exist LUCI switch configuration for use VLAN

Giving 21.02rc1 a shot on my tplink archer c7's here with batman-adv , mesh, non ct drivers. I'm very impressed how well it works. Will see how the stability is over time. Thank you very much for your hard work!

I always have the rescue tools on hand when doing a major upgrade for this very reason . Then I simply try it and see if it works

This release supports VLANs just fine @anon69880279 @2devnull @eginnc @metiu

I am running a setup with multiple different VLANs:

1. Tagged vlan 4 on my WAN port for IPTV
  2. Tagged vlan 6 on my WAN port for PPPoE internet
  3. Untagged LAN network (with 2 lan ports)
  4. Untagged untrusted network which hosts my home server. (With 1 lan port which connects to said server)

This was all configured through Luci, no command line needed at all. Basically, each port is already on its own untagged vlan by default (the whole point of dsa). You can combine them together by bridging them. If you want a tagged VLAN you use the dot notation portname.vlan_number (such as wan.6 or lan1.7).

You can also bridge tagged and untagged VLANs together, such as lan1 + lan2.3. That would create a bridge that sends and receives VLAN tagged 3 packets on lan port 2, and Untagged packets on lan port 1.

Example configuration file of how mine is setup (with above mentioned setup with 4 VLANs):

config interface 'loopback'
	option ifname 'lo'
	option proto 'static'
	option ipaddr '127.0.0.1'
	option netmask '255.0.0.0'

config globals 'globals'
	option packet_steering '1'
	option ula_prefix 'redacted'

config interface 'lan'
	option type 'bridge'
	option proto 'static'
	option ipaddr '192.168.1.1'
	option netmask '255.255.255.0'
	option igmp_snooping '1'
	option ip6assign '64'
	option ifname 'lan1 lan2'

config interface 'wan'
	option proto 'pppoe'
	option ifname 'wan.6'
	option username 'redacted'
	option password 'redacted'
	option ipv6 'auto'

config interface 'iptv'
	option proto 'dhcp'
	option ifname 'wan.4'
	option vendorid 'IPTV_RG'
	option defaultroute '0'
	option peerdns '0'

config interface 'untrusted'
	option proto 'static'
	option type 'bridge'
	option ifname 'lan3'
	option igmp_snooping '1'
	option ipaddr '192.168.2.1'
	option netmask '255.255.255.0'
	option ip6assign '64'
3 Likes

Don't try factory upgrade when doing a sysupgrade.

You need to investigate and understand the reason for the warning before you ignore it

the keyword is candidate

if you don't have the Switch page in LuCI, this is a easy fix. tell us what your device is so someone can help you, instead of just complaining...

1 Like

tnx a lot for the hard work!

I tried your method, but seems failed on me such as:

PPPoE stopped working (didn't authenticate)

Tested on Xiaomi r4a gigabit

I followed this DSA introduction on Github and the mailings already before RC1 was released because both my WRT3200ACM and my ER4 (especially ER4 which doesn’t even have a hardware switch) are full DSA approved.

I get the feeling when seeing all these posts in this tread that we now have two groups in this tread. The ones with non-DSA devices that has the old Switch setup panel in LuCi and the other group that has DSA devices that has no easy way to setup a DSA environment and are now wondering where the Switch setup panel went.

It is a fact that LuCi in RC1 wasn’t released with DSA support because it isn’t ready yet. The only easy way to get that support as of today is to run a Master snapshot with LuCi installed.

1 Like

I think it doesn't matter if the LuCi has separated DSA config or not, even configuration through SSH is still not working (Remember [ uci set (command) ] thingy? that's it)