Onhub TP-LINK TGR1900 future support?

could someone share the dmesg log ?
bootlogs in toh page is still empty

Hey everyone, not sure if this is really the right place to post this but I threw together some scripts for some basic RGB effects.

Thanks to bnorris and anyone else who helped make this a supported device.

https://imgur.com/a/xgyoKjQ

1 Like

Thanks. This comment let me flash succesfully on some Asus Onhubs. Asus code also shows as Green once loaded.

1 Like

First off I want to thank the devs who have taken the time to bring OpenWrt to the TP-Link OnHub. I've been waiting for this for a few years and forgot to check back on the progress until last week when I needed to set up another AP.

I do need some help though, because I'm having trouble after loosing access, likely due to a mistake in configuration. I went ahead and went back to factory with the USB recovery image, but now when I put the OpenWRT factory.bin on the router and issue the command to write it to internal storage it seems to work, and boots up with the multicolor LEDs at the top, but I can't get an ip address on the lan port (or wan port...) once I've rebooted and removed the USB drive. Currently I'm just booted to the USB stick which isn't an issue since its plugged into a UPS and won't restart in case of a brownout or something, but I'd prefer to get it working on internal storage again.

edit*
Oh, I forgot to ask about the three wireless interfaces. Does anyone know the capabilities of each? Is it possible to combine the two 5ghz to do 80mhz+80mhz for more bandwidth over wireless, or is that a stupid question? :smiley: The AP is FAR from any others and centrally located around 15ft from devices that i'd like to see a bit more bandwidth on wireless. Just got gigabit symmetrical last week, so in the process of optimizing for that.

edit2**

Just finished discovering the same thing. Max I've seen on a speed test is 200mbps with the same behavior you noticed on core0.

Having same issue on an Asus OnHub.

As a separate question, There is a comment from Franco Castillo on a youtube Video from Vantech on 802.11s setup that seems to indicate the -ct drivers are only for Wave2 for 802.11s. Any truth in this? Wasn't able to reinstall any of the ath10k firmwares after removal.

OpenWRT - 802.11s Mesh WiFi Network - YouTube

[ @Justin L ] It doesn't work because that chipset is Wave-1 and the CT driver doesn't support 802.11s on those chipsets. Only with Wave-2 as

I'm having the same issue as @landerslanding and @Bndwdthseekr that I can boot from USB drive on my TP-Link Onhub. However when I write the image to emmc and reboot it starts OpenWrt as indicated by the multicoloured led ring but never establishes a link on the wired lan port. Not sure what is going on since the same file works fine from USB?

I can see that the freshly flashed firmware is trying to establish a link but it fails and then keeps re-trying and failing over and over again. I've tested a direct connection, via a 100mbit switch and with a fixed ip in the 192.168.1.x range but none of these options make a difference.

After doing a factory restore I tried another thing. Boot from USB, write the firmware to emmc followed directly by a sysupgrade. Unfortunately that doesn't make a difference either.

If anybody has an older build still available on their PC could they share it somewhere?

Thanks in advance.

Okay so for me, the first time worked. I was able to restart it several times, move it to the desired location, and all was good. I only discovered this issue after I lost access and didn't have the time to open it (still haven't) to get to the serial interface and reset it that way, but instead restored and repeated the original process.

edit**
Oh yeah, I lost access because I was stupid and applied settings in the wrong order.... so nothing to do with openwrt :smiley:

When I install my USB drive and try to recover image to factory reset my Onhub, but I think Onhub doesn't recognize my USB.
My USB is USB 3.0 with 16GB, does the USB 3.0 matters on Onhub?

My factory reset USB drive was also a USB3.0 16GB drive and it worked fine. Just takes a long time in general.

When I connect USB to Onhub, it just showed blinking red LED light and doing nothing.
Also USB didn't blinking that was not busy.

See msg 116 above by dadogroove "Note that Recovery mode does not appear to work with all USB drives (for example, some newer USB 3.0 flash drives). If the device appears not to be accepting your USB drive, try swapping for a different one."

OK I managed to reflash mine successfully after being locked out and resetting a few times. What I ended up doing is as follows:

• Factory reset using the google chrome created 'special' USB stick
  • Boot OpenWrt from a USB stick
  • SSH into OpenWrt and dd the whole /dev/mmcblock0 with zeros (this will take a while)
  • SCP the factory image to /tmp on the Onhub
  • write the factory image to /dev/mmcblock0 using blocksize of 1M (bs=1M)
  • reboot with the USB stick removed

Now my OnHub boots OK and gives me a connection on the lan port as expected. I'm not sure why I had issues before but I guess there could be some leftover data on emmc when we write the image. Hope this helps others who are locked out after messing up their config.

Thanks to the developers for all their effort. This is still a great piece of hardware and now even better with OpenWrt.

3 Likes

I think also devloper mode is same. I tried to install OpenWrt in developer mode with same USB, but it seems to not boot with USB and goes to only breathing purple light.

Are you experiencing intermittent internet on the mesh? My onhub also seems to be heating up more than usual after I installed the latest snapshot

The device page doesn't make it clear but it does take some time after the RGB ring lights up before the network is active. I never timed it but it seems like it takes around 20-30 seconds. Not sure if this helps anyone. Also not sure if a static IP is required but I always set it manually anyway.

Thanks for the info! I kindof figured it was something like a partition left over... Ill give that a try over the weekend and see if it works for me.

Are you still having issues with a single core maxxed out when pulling around 200mbps over wifi when booted to internal storage? I'd love to have the hardware offloading (is that what it is?) working properly if possible. The OnHub seems like a great device to actually be capable of some sort of mesh networking as well as running openwrt, at least at first glance with the way the wireless interfaces appear. Too bad it can't do 160mhz channels though, I mistakenly thought it could until I looked up the specs the other day :confused:

Is there no way to configure over wifi? Should I connect Onhub with my computer and go to webui and turn on wifi function to use wifi?

edit: I found out myself on here; https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/installation/flashing_openwrt_with_wifi_enabled_on_first_boot

edit 2: oh, it's so hard for me... I saw the factory bin file and I don't know where to put codes. This is my first time to try using OpenWrt, so I think I have to study to edit codes...

Hi
just a few things I have noticed
none of the 2 buttons seem to be mapped to reset
I think this would help people reconnecting when there is a fault as seen in this thread
knowing that pausing the button on the back would factory default the settings would be good

also as the device is left in developer mode this won't allow you to leave a storage device
plugged in while boot due to it trying to boot off it
I guess you could put openwrt on that device but just makes it more complicated

I did test leaving developer mode it with an early version
but just left the led's in the red/orange brick mode
is there a way for us to get out of debug mode to usb will work etc

also trying to boot back off the USB to gain control due to not being able to factory default
seems to use the bad partition in the unit rather then the one from the USB
so the only way to recover is to use the onhub recover usb to over right the flash
so the openwrt USB will boot correctly

1 Like

Oh my, is the red/orange moving color means it's bricked?
I first did recovery with onhub recovery firmware contained USB and it did great, and I tried to install OpenWrt with the OpenWrt factory firmware which is on the wiki. I followed correctly what in the wiki says but it shows red/orange colors moving led. Does it means bricked/fatal error?