Onhub TP-LINK TGR1900 future support?

I picked up a TP-Link Onhub from my local thrift store thinking it might be supported. It was only 3$ so figured why not. From what I can tell it is not supported, but is listed as a WIP.

https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/hwdata/tp-link/tp-link_tgr1900

I can't find any other information on it though since the OpenWRT forums are gone, and I was wondering if anyone knows if this router is being worked on. So if it is I can throw it into storage for later, or give it away if not.

1 Like

I doubt somebody is actively working on it looking how rare it is,but for 3 bucks everybody would pick one.
Its got really powerfull hardware.

1 Like

Yeah the hardware is really good and would definitely be a huge upgrade for me over my current crappy netgear. However it needs an android device to configure it, and I still use an old flip phone. There's also the creepy google stuff that makes me warry of this thing.

Yeah,I wouldnt use it too without something like OpenWRT on it.
Would love to help,but I dont have access to one of those.

Google is rolling Coreboot and ChromiumOS on it.
God knows what is being collected

has anyone attempted anything with this device yet ?
I see it used coreboot usually used on x86 hardware & PC's
is anyone working on this or interested to ?

That wouldn't make it any easier, on the contrary - as this differs massively from the 'usual' bootloader (u-boot) on ipq8064.

--
I'm regularly checking for cheap ipq806x devices on the used markets, as I've been looking for a spare test device for quite a while now (I really don't want to 'break' my main ipq8065 router all the time) - although I do include the onhub devices in my search, these are basically non-existent on the European market.

I'm trying to look into to it all
there was this and the Norton core thing that looks exciting
for having lots of flash and ram
this seems to be running on a version of chrome OS
it's not the same as the normal routers but it's all open source at lest
lots to do tho

There has recently been activity on the ipq4019 based google wifi mesh devices (I think "gale" is the code name), maybe you can find some inspiration there.

Thanks slh
I'll keep waiting for that patch top go through
look's like a lot of what is needed should be in there
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/openwrt-devel/2021-January/033353.html

Quite likely, yes.

A lot of the documentation for the boot sequence and payload is documented in a few chromium slides as well as a few of the google OnHub developers seem to be active on reddit and additional documentation could be gleamed from there. I'm not sure if you were curious about logging into the router or if you were looking to run WRT but exploitee.rs has a ton of documentation on both the TP Link and Asus models although more internals are documented with the asus as it seemed to have a dedicated follower where as the TP Link seems easier to root and enable developer mode although less is documented about it. I've been looking into running WRT on my TP-Link variety.

Helpful Links: Rooting Via Exploitee.rs | Root Access Plus a little extra documentation

1 Like

Thanks for sharing. Have you had any success on working with coreboot?

after quickly playing with the google stuff I wold want OpenWRT on it
I did look thought these and other links
I did boot the developer mode USB but could not get it boot the main firmware rooted
I last went looking for information on the cpu pinout & foot print to find a serial interface
but it seems it's all locked under NDA's
so didn't get very far

I mean you've got a serial console port coming out that will allow you a fair variety of tools to run. I will take a look when I've got some free time. The whole process needs to documented more thoroughly although a little launching off point isn't too bad.

I think it's needed for the development side of openwrt
after dumping the flash chips
was to get it to just flash the 8M flash chip with a uboot type boot loader
that will have an emergence console & boot off the 4G flash chip
later if it all works can go back and look at getting it to work with the coreboot stuff

1 Like

I decided to try adding support to this router myself, and I spent some time taking it apart.

These are likely the serial port based on the multimeter's measurements.
(Image taken from ifixit)

But I couldn't get the boot log yet because the spacing between the pins is too tight.

So right now, I either have to do some soldering (I'm very bad at this, but I can still try) or find some jumper wires with smaller headers (this is preferred, but they seem to be rare)

The common pin spacing is 2.54mm, but you'll often also find 2mm spacing. Make sure to get a 1.8 V capable usb2serial adapter (and jumper it accordingly).

I think these are 1 mm or 1.27 mm ones, which are hard to find.

It might also be me not knowing the right keywords to search on amazon.

Would hook clips be to big too?

The ones that I have are too big, unfortunately.