red/orange moving colour is when it can't find something to boot
like a PC that has no bootable partition
yes you can fix it
I have seen it do this when usb is not bootable & plugged in
or can't boot from flash
it also did this when I left development mode with openwrt in flash
I have to go back to development mode for it to boot again

Ah... okay I'll try more
And which program you used to flash OpenWrt factory firmware to USB? Did you used Balena Etcher?

I used w32Imagewriter that a have for raspberry pi's
need to clean disk with windrows diskimage 1st tho

1 Like

An update on the 'only booting from USB' situation... Thanks to @konus for the suggestion my device is back to running on internal storage!

Now if only I could pull more than 200mbps over wifi...
Oh well, I'm probably the only one in the house who will notice :smiley:

1 Like

Is there anyone who can enable WiFi enabled on first OpenWrt boot?

While that isn't really difficult to accomplish for a personal build, it's not going to happen for official images. Do yourself a favour and get yourself ethernet connectivity, and be a crappy sub-10 buck usb2ethernet card and a 1m patch cable, it's worth it and is a hard requirement (in the sense of some kind of ethernet) for using OpenWrt. You won't need it often, it doesn't need to be fast or great, but it needs to be there, when push comes to shove.

Great answer! I'll gonna buy cheap USB to ethernet converter right now haha

Good to hear you managed to fix the boot issue. Wifi throughput measurements are difficult to comment on since they depend on so many factors: routing or just running as an AP, number of streams that the radio in your client has (1x1 or 2x2 or more?). How much noise there is from other devices overlapping the wifi channels etc. Here are a few things I've picked up by reading on the forums:

If you test throughput with iperf3 then you should not run it on the router but on a wired pc / laptop to avoid overloading the CPU in the router.

Routing requires a lot more CPU power then an AP so will reduce throughput.

The wifi client can be the limited factor if it has a low performance radio. A 1x1 stream wifi radio will never get the full performance when the router has multiple streams available.

Packet steering, irqbalance and hardware offloading can improve performance significantly. Some of these do conflict when routing using sqm so can't always be used.

The R7800 is quite a similar device and people on the forum have been trying to squeeze the maximum performance out of that device for a while. So if you want to get an idea of how to tweak the settings you can do a search on the forum for R7800 topics.

https://forum.openwrt.org/t/r7800-performance/15780/350

1 Like

Hi bnorris

some code for getting the buttons to work for the tplink model
I'm sure they need to be refracted by a better programmer then me
but should save some leg work

1 Like

Does the addition of the buttons make the reset function in OpenWrt work? That would be great since the factory reset and re-install is a bit of a hassle.

it's a just added the button to trigger it
so if you can't get in due to bad switch or interface config or password
pushing the button on the back will do the same as the
"Perform reset" button under flash operations
so you can get back in with out the need of a reflash

1 Like

That's great! How would one go about adding this?

Hi intoran
I just use the scan button example top find the inputs used "15 & 16"
& copied what I think it needed from the other dts files in the same chipset
it all seems to work
you can take what I have done and compile it if you want
but someone "yes can be you " at some point needs to submit a pull request
I do think it maybe need a going over to clean it up & double checked

Thanks everyone! Finally I set! Works great!

1 Like

μ•ˆλ…•ν•˜μ„Έμš”? 저도 TGR1900에 openwrtλ₯Ό 올릴까 생각 μ€‘μΈλ°μš”, 무선, μœ μ„  μ†λ„λŠ” μ–΄λŠ 정도 λ‚˜μ˜€λŠ”μ§€ μ•Œ 수 μžˆμ„κΉŒμš”?

Hi, I'm also thinking of putting openwrt on my TGR1900, can you tell us what the speeds are for wireless and wired?

With the current release my maximum bandwidth over 5ghz wifi was 200mbps both up and down with one cpu core pegged at 100%. Doing the very same tests on the Linksys WRT32X I see about 350mbps+ on my devices, and family members with newer stuff have shown 400mbps+ on the Linksys but were 200mbps or below on the OnHub. Wired and simultaneous client capacity are things I cannot comment on since I only tested when using the device as a wireless access point for a couple days.

1 Like

try to build with NSS with modified dts
i got 350-400mbps wireless

@@ -86,6 +86,10 @@
 	};
 };

+&adm_dma {
+	status = "okay";
+};
+
 &qcom_pinmux {
 	rgmii0_pins: rgmii0_pins {
 		mux {
@@ -294,9 +298,19 @@

&gmac0 {
 	status = "okay";
+	compatible = "qcom,nss-gmac";
+
 	phy-mode = "rgmii";
 	qcom,id = <0>;
 	phy-handle = <&phy1>;
+	qcom,pcs-chanid = <0>;
+	qcom,phy-mdio-addr = <1>;
+	qcom,rgmii-delay = <0>;
+	qcom,poll-required = <0>; /* caused panic if enabled */
+	qcom,forced-speed = <1000>;
+	qcom,forced-duplex = <1>;
+	qcom,socver = <0>;
+	mdiobus = <&mdio>;

pinctrl-0 = <&rgmii0_pins>;
 	pinctrl-names = "default";
@@ -309,9 +324,19 @@

&gmac2 {
 	status = "okay";
+	compatible = "qcom,nss-gmac";
+
 	phy-mode = "sgmii";
 	qcom,id = <2>;
 	phy-handle = <&phy0>;
+	qcom,pcs-chanid = <1>;
+	qcom,phy-mdio-addr = <0>;
+	qcom,rgmii-delay = <0>;
+	qcom,poll-required = <0>;
+	qcom,forced-speed = <1000>;
+	qcom,forced-duplex = <1>;
+	qcom,socver = <0>;
+	mdiobus = <&mdio>;

fixed-link {
 		speed = <1000>;
2 Likes

Thanks again to @regae for doing the modifications to the dts file to get the NSS cores working. Also thanks to @ACwifidude and users on his forum for getting the NSS cores woring with the ipq806x devices. Of course, thanks to @bnorris and others here that worked on getting OpenWRT working on the OnHubs. I have uploaded two simple NSS images, an ASUS and TP-Link, based on the non-ct driver to my google drive as well as detailed instructions to make your own images if you want to try.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/11lUOfdVJlhr0cZsv_xbFGv__1mSynSnc?usp=sharing

Some helpful info if you're looking to try this for the first time.

4 Likes

Great directions, @dadogroove , thank you so much! I got one of these devices to help introduce myself to the OWRT build system, hoping to do exactly what you did here - but you beat me to the punch right before I even got mine! The directions helped me understand things a little better and go through the motions myself and put in things for my own personal use case. Hope to cross your path some day so I can buy you a beer. Or whatever you prefer. :slight_smile:

Anyone happen to know how the speaker amplifier is connected up, protocol-wise? I'm frivolous enough to try to get it working.

I did my research and found that the ZigBee chip in these is connected by SPI - that will be something I poke at a little bit as well, just for fun, but I'm not super hopeful that I'll be the one to get it working since I'm pretty new to this stuff. Would be cool to have, though, and if I'm understanding this correctly, it does seem to be supported upstream to some extent as a result of some work from people from this community on other devices, though.

So apologies is this is a total noob mistake, but I can't get network through this thing for the life of me. I can install the image following the Wiki directions just fine (both the latest snapshot and @dadogroove's build), and ssh in over the lan port. I don't end with an internet connection on the laptop I'm using for ssh, and I can't install luci or successfully ping openwrt.org. I have the same problem booting off both usb and internal storage. Any idea what I could be doing wrong?