Odds of timely D-Link DIR-882 or 878 support in 2018?

Is this just lazy speculation?

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/MediaTek_MT7615

Someone on IRC said that at the moment the mt7615 driver is a bunch of quick hacks, but once it's been cleaned up (not clear when) it would make a chance of getting (upstream) support.

I'm not sure what this license actually means though, it seems to suggest this is an 'unauthorised' repository:

* MediaTek Inc.
 * All rights reserved. source code is an unpublished work and the
 * use of a copyright notice does not imply otherwise. This source code
 * contains confidential trade secret material of MediaTek. Any attemp
 * or participation in deciphering, decoding, reverse engineering or in any
 * way altering the source code is stricitly prohibited, unless the prior
 * written consent of MediaTek, Inc. is obtained.
1 Like

IRC source?

Source code is source code. In this thread, I don't hear good things about the source though. Incomplete mac80211 support. Avoid this hardware platform for the time-being.

There's 'source code' that gets you in court and 'source code' that you can use. I'm not a lawyer, but statements like 'unpublished work', 'use of a copyright notice does not imply otherwise' and 'confidential trade secret' all sound like potential trouble to me. Someone posted some Broadcom or Marvell drivers to the mailing list(s) a while ago, it got deleted - because it was code under NDA. Nobody wants to touch that with a stick. That's just a can of worms.

1 Like

I too have a DIR-878. Once it is setup properly, it performs very well, and for a very low price (when on sale). That said, the stock firmware is quirky and behaves oddly at times.

The router would really benefit from some open source configuration and UI.

The main thing that needs to happen is for the mt76 driver to support the mt7615 chip. Once that has been made, developers will probably look into bringing Lede to these devices.

1 Like

I posted in the H/W questions thread - does the current MT76 source support the D-Link DIR-882 which is apparently a MT7621AT (Wiki says MT7623)? I realize there's no built source but I'm not opposed to spinning up a VM to build it myself. Just more curious if I should even attempt it based on the unknown whether it's supported/working or not.

1 Like

@Dekker500 Are you able to provide a boot log from the stock firmware?

@cwasser Same for you if you own a DIR-882?

Hi,

I bought a 882 today, didn't want to stay on the limited stock fw so I quickly flashed DD-WRT.
Is that of any help?

$ cat /proc/mtd 
dev:    size   erasesize  name
mtd0: 00030000 00010000 "u-boot"
mtd1: 00004000 00004000 "u-boot-env"
mtd2: 00020000 00010000 "factory"
mtd3: 00fa0000 00010000 "linux"
mtd4: 00e56000 00010000 "rootfs"
mtd5: 00100000 00010000 "ddwrt"
mtd6: 00010000 00010000 "nvram"

EDIT:

$ uname -a
Linux DD-WRT 3.10.108-d8 #2065 SMP Fri Mar 22 16:34:40 CET 2019 mips DD-WRT

And dmesg, on a freshly rebooted device: https://pastebin.com/qXuJAqVb

2 Likes

The output of dmesg would also help developers working on the device

2 Likes

I realised that dmesg ran out of buffer.
Here's a log taken from serial, including uboot sequence.

https://pastebin.com/W16MNikQ

What I get from the docs, because the platform is already supported it should be fairly straightforward to get a initramfs up and running, no?

It should yes, but I have no experience myself with it.

This I want to know as well

MT7621AT is the SoC and e.g. the RT-AC57U I own runs on that very same SoC. The mt76 driver only concerns the wireless radios. SoC support is independent from that. You could e.g. buy an mt76 based wireless card (like you can e.g. buy an Intel or Broadcom one) and use the mt76 driver for that card, on an x86 or ARM system.

1 Like

So you mean the situation is a bit like Broadcom, that we can have it supported by OpenWrt, but it won't have wireless?

This is a really nice cheap 4x4 + 160MHz platform, I hope OpenWrt can support it soon.

DD-Wrt already support it but I prefer OpenWrt :slight_smile:

BTW, some people say 878 and 882 are actually the same (similar to archer c5/c7 old version situations), is that true?

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/D-Link_DIR-878_rev_A1
there are a bunch or routers off the same PCB with differing options loaded
the 882 is the same as the 878 but no usb ports loaded
I have cross flashed the Motorola MR2600 firmware onto my dir-878 & it works fine but it's just rebadged

No. What I'm saying is you're confusing SoC and radio support. Both are supported but the MT7615 radio support is very new. MT7621 SoC support is very mature.

And yes the USB ports seem to be the only difference between both.

-------- Oorspronkelijk bericht --------
Aan 27 aug. 2019 04:07, John D via OpenWrt Forum < mail@forum.openwrt.org > schreef:

1 Like

Noted with thanks.

So we await mature MT7615 support, maybe official build in OpenWrt 20.xx ......

the MT7615 is happening have a look at Support for Xiaomi Wifi R3P Pro?
I think what is been waited on is someone with the skills,Time & device to start porting

Mt76 keeps seeing MT7615 related commits, in the 19.07 branch as well (just check the git log of the past few days). Nbd regularly bumps and backports. I don't think the drivers are identical between 19.07 and master anymore (they were for a while), but they don't seem to be far apart either.