No internet or DHCP suddenly overnight

I am using the latest snapshot and my Linksys MR8300 has been running solid for sometime with no issues. However, suddenly and completely out of the blue, I have been waking up to not being able to connect to Wifi because the clients are not getting an IP address. I tried rebooting the router and restarting the dnsmasq service to no avail. I also noticed that the WAN interface is not able to get an IP address either. I switched to the secondary boot partition containing the old build to no avail. Eventually, I deleted the /tmp/dhcp.leases file, restored the config from a backup file, rebooted both ISP router and my MR8300 and things started working again.

However, overnight the same thing happened again. It was working fine until 23.30 and woke up at 6 to no internet because it can't get an IP from the ISP nor can I get a DHCP IP for my client. I had to set the IP address statically to be able to connect and manage the router.

I have not made any changes to the actual configurations lately.

Do both partitions share the same config? I expected things to be working exactly how they were with the older version at least when I switched but got the same behaviour.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

That's likely the issue


What makes you think that?
It's in Modem Mode (sorry I should have mentioned) so all it does is act as a modem to connect the OpenWrt router to the ISP.
Why would that impact the clients getting an IP address from the OpenWrt router? I also use the 192.168.20.x range so as not to conflict with anything should I switch providers etc.


But if you have to reboot it then there's a chance it is at least also a part of the issue

Hard to tell what is wrong without looking at some logs and configurations first.

Please run the following commands (copy-paste the whole block) and paste the output here, using the "Preformatted text </> " button:
Remember to redact passwords, MAC addresses and any public IP addresses you may have

ubus call system board; \
uci export network; uci export dhcp; uci export firewall; \
logread -e dnsmasq; logread -e udhcpc
1 Like

Thanks guys. I managed to resolve the issue. The problem was caused by my Raspberry Pi. I don't have anything running on it that would have caused that and I have never had this sort of issue with it but as soon as I shutdown the Pi completely and rebooted the router, everything started working fine again.

If your problem is solved, please consider marking this topic as [Solved]. See How to mark a topic as [Solved] for a short how-to.
Thanks! :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.