NFtables and QoS in 2021

A few years back we tried to get nftables to work for QoS marking QoS and nftables … some findings to share at the time, there were problems with OpenWrt not quite supporting nftables correctly.

Then last year, there was some more effort... Nftables custom QoS, round 2 and the thing that people complained about the most was DNSmasq not having support for adding ip addresses to an nftables set based on lookups (so for example you couldn't easily downprioritize googlevideo.com to force YouTube to not bork your interactive video calls). But at the end of that thread the patches to dnsmasq landed, and I believe this should work now.

Meanwhile, Nftables migration maturity in OpenWrt 21.02 we have reports that nftables comes up reliably on OpenWrt 21 and that @jow has put together fw4 which allows you to use nftables as the backend and still configure a firewall through uci (though I much prefer the nftables firewall syntax).

Also there's some effort to create an eBPF based solution to tagging in Qosify: new package for DSCP marking + cake which is an alternative to using nftables.

So, show of hands, how many people want to take yet another stab at building an nftables firewall example with QoS tagging and Dnsmasq support and such?

Git Repo:

15 Likes

Hi there. I've got some time in my hands lately and I might be able to help as during round 1. Two questions tho':

1. Is fw4 usable at all?
  2. In your opinion, why nft and not eBPF?

I don't know. If I were going to use nftables on OpenWrt I'd do it using the nftables scripting language. The existence of fw4 though makes it so that getting nftables to work on OpenWrt is more of a priority. this ultimately means that these days it's reported that you can switch to nftables and there are no hitches.

This is like asking why Python and not x86 Assembler. nftables is a high level language for describing packet rules, and eBPF is a bytecode for injecting verifiable instruction sequences into the linux kernel. It's entirely possible for nftables to compile its rules to eBPF (though at the moment it doesn't). They're not really separate.

eBPF by itself is useless without something human usable to describe the computations of interest that compiles to eBPF. at the moment this is mostly low level languages like C, though Julia does have an eBPF compiler as well... but in general you don't want to program packet filters in C or even Julia. eBPF is literally a machine language for a virtual machine so it does things like "Load into register" "add 1 to contents of register" "divide register by other register" etc.

QoSify is basically a high level language for doing packet tagging which compiles to eBPF. I have nothing against it but have found that in general nftables is comprehensive language for packet manipulation and extremely powerful and useful, with a much broader applicability domain.

1 Like

good evening daniel I have a lot of availability at the moment, I had followed pres nftables round 2, if I do the test I would do it on a test router if you are up and running, we can start when you want;)
several questions come to mind
1 would using nftables increase the throughput and the processor capacity, in my case dual core 1.4 ghz armv8 for larger connections which in the future will be present in homes

2: can we convert our iptables into nftables what seems possible to me

thank you

In general there are a lot of things in nftables which make the firewall use less cpu resources, yes. Including offloading is available.

In general yes, but I think it's easier to start from scratch, and maybe then convert a few special purpose rules.

I'm thinking what we need is a git gist for a general purpose OpenWrt firewall based on nftables, with packet classification, then people can grab the gist and edit it for their needs, and test.

I don't have a ton of time available, but if I can get people engaged, then we can make a lot of progress by people editing the base script and doing testing, and I'm all for that!

2 Likes

ok this is very good news, i can test whenever you want on a mikrotik hap ac2, and my belkin rt3200 which i use every day,

@anon50098793 is very ingenious person maybe can interested :slight_smile:

Ok, I have set up a Git Repo for this project. I'd appreciate if people would try to test. If possible when you have errors try to fix them first using https://wiki.nftables.org/wiki-nftables/index.php/Main_Page to refer to syntax in nftables.

The Github is:

I believe the easiest way to install this is to grab the raw file using wget:

cd /etc/
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dlakelan/OpenWrtNFTables/main/nftables.conf

then disable the standard openwrt firewall (in Luci), and enable this by running

nft -f /etc/nftables.conf

in your /etc/rc.local

With this script, the ingress will not do the more sophisticated marking, but the postrouting will do that marking, so if you use a veth with cake on egress of LAN you can get the benefit of the more sophisticated prioritization

1 Like

ok good i will test in 10 min on hap ac2

for see

thanks for all

ok I must have done something wrong, I have no internet when I deactivate the firewall I did the following

Capture d’écran 2021-11-15 à 22.17.27
Capture d’écran 2021-11-15 à 22.17.05
maybe interface br-lan

and wan eth1 on my hap ac2

on my belkin i has wan on wan and br-lan lan

Perhaps follow the wiki first to enable nftables.

3 Likes

Yes, It looks like you need to install related packages. Let's figure out what those are, and then I'll stick it in the README. Nice find @dave14305 I'll put that in the README as well

Ok I pushed the very basic README

1 Like

ok i has this error

/etc/nftables.conf:109:44-44: Error: syntax error, unexpected '$', expecting string or quoted string or string with a trailing asterisk
            type filter hook ingress device $wan priority 0;
                                            ^

Capture d’écran 2021-11-15 à 22.37.31

Sounds similar to previous errors with variables:

1 Like

right, I pushed a "fix" but this "fix" means you have to go in an explicitly change the name of the ingress interface in the ingress chain...

OK, I added commentary in the README about how to do this stuff.

1 Like

Since snapshot is on nftables 1.0, wouldn’t this commit be applicable?

http://git.netfilter.org/nftables/commit/?id=d100e2d811749bf34bb6aeac322052c56661c124

`root@OpenWrt:~# nft -f /etc/nftables.conf
/etc/nftables.conf:109:29-35: Error: The inet family does not support this hook
            type filter hook ingress device eth1 priority 0; ## FIXME, this can't be a variable so put your WAN device here
                             ^^^^^^^
root@OpenWrt:~# nft -f /etc/nftables.conf
/etc/nftables.conf:109:29-32: Error: unknown chain hook
            type filter hook eth1 device eth1 priority 0; ## FIXME, this can't be a variable so put your WAN device here
                             ^^^^
/etc/nftables.conf:109:29-32: Error: unknown chain hook
            type filter hook eth1 device WAN priority 0; ## FIXME, this can't be a variable so put your WAN device here
                             ^^^^
/etc/nftables.conf:109:29-31: Error: unknown chain hook
            type filter hook WAN device eth1 priority 0; ## FIXME, this can't be a variable so put your WAN device here
                             ^^^
/etc/nftables.conf:109:29-31: Error: unknown chain hook
            type filter hook wan device eth1 priority 0; ## FIXME, this can't be a variable so put your WAN device here
                             ^^^
root@OpenWrt:~#
`

i can install snapshot if you want maybe for that this error ? 

![Capture d’écran 2021-11-15 à 23.00.05|182x286](upload://4s54MM39GJrGHc2UW6HXqgMlIMS.png)

Capture d’écran 2021-11-15 à 23.00.05

for the moment i has install this packages

nftables 

opkg update 

opkg install kmod-nf-conntrack kmod-nf-conntrack6 kmod-nf-nat kmod-nf-reject kmod-nf-reject6 kmod-nfnetlink kmod-nft-core kmod-nft-nat

opkg instal kmod-nft-arp kmod-nft-bridge kmod-nft-fib kmod-nft-nat6 kmod-nft-netdev kmod-nft-offload

opkg install nftables libnftnl11

hmmm ... let's start without an ingress hook and just do postrouting ... so comment out like this:

# chain wanin {
      # 	    type filter hook ingress device eth1 priority 0; ## FIXME, this can't be a variable so put your WAN device here
      # 	    jump tagchain
      # }

1 Like

ok so i has lost interface luci

and no internet ...

i write while my box fai

i has this no error apparently

root@OpenWrt:~#

you might need to explicitly load the NAT module!

modprobe nf_nat

maybe, or modprobe nft_masq or both.

1 Like

Ok in putty ?

I run this command ?

Modprobe nf_nat