Missing wifi menu tab

hello and thanks for helping me.

luci is missing wifi menu tab:
Screenshot 2023-01-07 at 01.07.36

And also, I cannot get the 5Ghz radio to show up. The 2Ghz works. I simply set the router down and when I re-powered, these problems. All worked when I took a brake from playing around with it.

Some useful information to help you help me:

Installed:

OpenWrt 22.03.2 r19803-9a599fee93 / LuCI openwrt-22.03 branch git-22.361.69894-438c598
	"kernel": "5.10.146",
	"hostname": "autumn",
	"system": "Atheros AR9344 rev 2",
	"model": "TP-Link TL-WDR4300 v1",
	"board_name": "tplink,tl-wdr4300-v1",
	"rootfs_type": "squashfs",
	"release": {
		"distribution": "OpenWrt",
		"version": "22.03.2",
		"revision": "r19803-9a599fee93",
		"target": "ath79/generic",
		"description": "OpenWrt 22.03.2 r19803-9a599fee93"
config interface 'loopback'
	option device 'lo'
	option proto 'static'
	option ipaddr '127.0.0.1'
	option netmask '255.0.0.0'

config globals 'globals'
	option ula_prefix 'fdec:688a:7325::/48'

config device
	option name 'br-lan'
	option type 'bridge'
	list ports 'eth0.1'

config interface 'lan'
	option device 'br-lan'
	option proto 'static'
	option netmask '255.255.255.0'
	option ip6assign '60'
	option ipaddr '172.16.0.1'

config device
	option name 'eth0.2'
	option macaddr 'a0:f3:c1:a5:f7:9d'

config interface 'wan'
	option device 'eth0.2'
	option proto 'dhcp'

config interface 'wan6'
	option device 'eth0.2'
	option proto 'dhcpv6'

config switch
	option name 'switch0'
	option reset '1'
	option enable_vlan '1'

config switch_vlan
	option device 'switch0'
	option vlan '1'
	option ports '2 3 4 5 0t'

config switch_vlan
	option device 'switch0'
	option vlan '2'
	option ports '1 0t
config wifi-device 'radio0'
	option type 'mac80211'
	option path 'platform/ahb/18100000.wmac'
	option channel '1'
	option band '2g'
	option htmode 'HT20'
	option cell_density '0'

config wifi-iface 'default_radio0'
	option device 'radio0'
	option network 'lan'
	option mode 'ap'
	option ssid 'Was4|Luv!'
	option encryption 'psk2'
	option key ''

config wifi-device 'radio1'
	option type 'mac80211'
	option path 'pci0000:00/0000:00:00.0'
	option channel '38'
	option band '5g'
	option htmode 'HT20'
	option cell_density '0'

config wifi-iface 'default_radio1''	
	option device 'radio1'
	option network 'lan'
	option mode 'ap'
	option encryption 'psk2'
	option key 
	option ssid 'was|ALL'

Thanks a lot.

Not sure what this means, but I'd reset it.

1 Like

Try resetting to defaults (feel free to make a backup before you do this). This will force the system to regenerate the wireless file and should hopefully resolve the issue if there is anything else going on..

@frollic @psherman thanks to you both. that was excellent quick, better and faster response than any bank or govt. agency I've asked for help :slight_smile: Anyway, should I 'keep/save settings' when I reset?

Can't keep it, that's the point of the reset.

2 Likes

Make a backup if you want, but it may not be useful (if the problem is related to the config files themselves).

Then perform the reset to defaults -- that, by definition, resets the router to defaults and therefore wifi will be disabled and it will have an address 192.168.1.1.

But that should hopefully resolve the issue and you can reconfigure.

would it be better to run this, since I have days and days of configuration on it?

firstboot && reboot now
cd /etc/config
mv wireless wirelessBAK
wifi config

check it is generated, check dmesg for error re radios not found.

2 Likes

It'd be the same.

That is exactly the same thing as hitting the reset button on the LuCI web interface. Either way is fine.

1 Like

I have overlay on usb stick. How would reset affect that, if at all? That's a great deal of work to redo :slight_smile:

Yeah, that will complicate things.

Pull a list of the installed packages, reset, setup the overlay, and install all the packages you had installed.

OK. But before starting this, and perhaps ending up with the same issue, does anyone know if my version of the firmware has issues, a know bug, for example, perhaps with this hardware?

How do I 'pull a list of installed packages' that would be nice, to have them in one place. Could I have installed drivers that created the problem. Would it help then to show my list of installed packages, so I don't repeat. I just don't want to do this again, and again.

thanks a lot, all!

You could do what @anomeome suggested 1st, it's pain less.

I can't speak conclusively (search the forums), but if this was a common issue, we'd probably see a lot of these reports.

I suspect that this is an issue with your specific configuration and/or some package(s) that you installed.

Since you said you're running an external overlay, you can actually see what happens when you remove the usb stick. The system should boot normally but without the post-overlay configs and user-installed packages... if the wifi menu comes up, you know the hardware is okay and that it is related to something in your config or packages.

1 Like

@anomeome thanks a lot! I often read @psherman peter and @frollic and was not careful to see your response, which has fixed the problem. Now I see:

That was great, fast help. To think I've spent two hours searching the forum looking for answers, and get it this fast, well, that's something.
Thanks a lot everyone. We can close this one, perhaps the fastest ever thread SOLVED!

1 Like

@frollic but I still want to learn how to do this, especially for this toy where I put so much.

opkg list-installed, via ssh, if I remember correctly, can't check, I'm on a flight :slight_smile:

Wiping the wifi config would indicate a config error was made, forcing the wifi to shut down/get disabled.

This wasn't a DFS "problem", by any chance?
Compare the old wireless with the new, try to spot the difference(s).

@frollic and I feel quite special :slight_smile: thanks a lot! for ignoring your 'inflight entertainment' to answer to my questions.

1 Like