Missing wifi menu tab

thanks a lot. this is how it's done and it gives a rather long list. very nice. i wonder if there's a place with a complete list of opkg commands. that would be really nice to have. I'm collecting stuff that I find, such as this, but it would be nice to have a central spot.

Just issue opkg --help at the command line (opkg without any parameters works too). :wink:

Like a wiki article?

1 Like

thanks a lot. now i'm looking for a command that upgrade ALL installed packages that can be upgraded. I can't find that.

that is useful, for sure. thanks.

I have read from here https://forum.openwrt.org/t/upgrade-all-packages-for-cli/57658/8, against doing a blanket upgrade. In 'regular' OS, this is OK. But not with Openwrt. How is one to know what and when to upgrade. The idea has been an upgraded package/system is more secured, less bug, etc. So, if it is not advisable to do a complete system upgrade, then what options are there to always have running a system with those benefits, security, patched bugs, etc.

Upgrading packages (via the CLI opkg upgrade command or the LuCI Upgrade... button) can result in major problems. It is generally highly discouraged, unless you know what you are doing or if there is specific instruction to do so.

@psherman Thanks, Peter, but I'm afraid you haven't address the question, assuming you can. Ask differently, can one assume the installed and un-upgraded versions of packages are as safe and secure as those available for upgrade? I take the advice, seriously, not to upgrade packages, regardless the method. But my question remains, what disadvantages are there for not doing so.

Generally yes. If you look at the “specific instructions “ link, you will see some CVEs and the mitigation instructions. That will include either upgrading specific packages if necessary, or upgrading the entire openwrt version.

The vast majority of package upgrades do not have any CVE related changes, but when one comes up, you will see an announcement of the cve and how to patch it.

This disadvantages for not upgrading are usually quite small. Typically minor tweaks to the code to add features, (forward looking) compatibility, code cleanup, or squash bugs. If you are in need of a specific feature or bug fix, that is a reason to upgrade. And obviously if there is a CVE, you should follow the mitigation instructions. But otherwise, there are rarely any significant differences at the user level.

1 Like

I did this after wifi disappeared, meaning, it Luci reported:

Wireless is not associated

and found this, after the last command:

wifi config

All was working just fine, until wifi stopped showing, meaning the SSID did not show up on clients:

root@ok:/etc/config# wifi config
Error relocating /usr/bin/iwinfo: iwinfo_format_hwmodes: symbol not found
Error relocating /usr/bin/iwinfo: iwinfo_htmode_name: symbol not found
Error relocating /usr/bin/iwinfo: vht_chan_width: symbol not found
Error relocating /usr/bin/iwinfo: ht_secondary_offset: symbol not found
Error relocating /usr/bin/iwinfo: ht_chan_width: symbol not found

Those errors look like a symptom of opkg upgrading some packages so that they expect different library versions than you have.

(Due to the two-phase buildbot strategy and only partial ABI versioning, there may be relatively short periods after package source version updates when the whole package dependency chain is not yet in sync, as different packages are built by different buildbots. Likely you have now unmatched iwinfo and libiwinfo versions.)

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.