Mercku M6 - Help get sourcecode

It turns out Mercku M6 devices use openwrt.

This is easy to see when going to
https://www.mercku.com/downloads/
Download the offline firmware and rename to tar.gz and extract

I have sent a support email asking for source code under the GPLv2 License agreements however i think this is not going to go to the right place.

I do not have linked in premium however all of the staff have linked in as seen on the about us page

Looking for help getting the source code.

Also any openwrt wizards out there that can help me get shell access to this device?

It appears you are using firmware that is not from the official OpenWrt project.

When using forks/offshoots/vendor-specific builds that are "based on OpenWrt", there may be many differences compared to the official versions (hosted by OpenWrt.org). Some of these customizations may fundamentally change the way that OpenWrt works. You might need help from people with specific/specialized knowledge about the firmware you are using, so it is possible that advice you get here may not be useful.

You may find that the best options are:

1. Install an official version of OpenWrt, if your device is supported (see https://firmware-selector.openwrt.org).
  2. Ask for help from the maintainer(s) or user community of the specific firmware that you are using.
  3. Provide the source code for the firmware so that users on this forum can understand how your firmware works (OpenWrt forum users are volunteers, so somebody might look at the code if they have time and are interested in your issue).

If you believe that this specific issue is common to generic/official OpenWrt and/or the maintainers of your build have indicated as such, please feel free to clarify.

As there is no support for this device in official OpenWrt, there's nothing we could help you with.

They are using firmware that has been modified from the project.
I was able to get shell access. (For information pm me)
I enable the default luci web
I can see it is running
LEDE Reboot 17.01-SNAPSHOT r0-4977330 / LuCI wifi_5g_txpower branch (git-21.350.21628-0d0394a)
Model of device is MediaTek MT7621 RFB (802.11ax,NAND)
src/gz reboot_core http://downloads.lede-project.org/releases/17.01-SNAPSHOT/targets/ramips/mt7621/packages

Please help me reach out to the Mercku company to get get the source code release for this device.

Why do you think we would have any more success than you have?

A.) More requests provide more visibility.
B.) As i do not have paid linked account i cannot message the CTO directly.

Thanks for your understanding. I feel that the source for this system would be useful for the community as a whole.

Maybe. But most of us don’t have the hardware and we don’t have any reason to spend our time contacting some random company on your behalf.

Neither do we. Maybe you should setup a paid linked account since you want to email the cto.

Why? It is based on LEDE 17.01 (which te community has access to). That is three major releases behind the current stable OpenWrt and a new stable release is currently in RC status. The changes they would have made to the system would be specific to their hardware and ecosystem, and probably of limited use for the rest of the community.

I disagree with this as any time a company does not follow GPLv2 it is a direct attack on the GPL and our rights as a community

Anyways since you are only one opinion i will wait for others thanks!

While this is true, you're asking volunteer community members to spend their time and energy to contact a company on your behalf. If this is important to you, pony up the cash so you can email the CTO... then you can demand it (and you'll still likely get ignored... companies like that who don't make their source code easy to find are usually not going to respond to random emails, either).

Feel free to wait :stopwatch:

1 Like

An update i have emailed them and no responses since the support team told me that it is based off of gplv2 as it is commercial software.

I am open to ideas on how i can get this updated to a newer openwrt firmware.

I am not able to find anywhere this device has been supported for other builds as it appears to be the same hardware as some other devices that do not appear to have support -
Simular devices based off this https://wikidevi.wi-cat.ru/MediaTek_MT7621
ASUS RT-AX1800S
D-Link DIR-X1860 rev A1
https://wikidevi.wi-cat.ru/Linksys_E7350
ASUS RT-AX1800S

UI says it is
Model MediaTek MT7621 RFB (802.11ax,NAND)
Wifi is MT7915D

it is a 4 core cpu.

processor               : 3
cpu model               : MIPS 1004Kc V2.15
BogoMIPS                : 586.13
wait instruction        : yes
microsecond timers      : yes
tlb_entries             : 32
extra interrupt vector  : yes
hardware watchpoint     : yes, count: 4, address/irw mask: [0x0ffc, 0x0ffc, 0x0ffb, 0x0ffb]
isa                     : mips1 mips2 mips32r1 mips32r2
ASEs implemented        : mips16 dsp mt
shadow register sets    : 1
kscratch registers      : 0
package                 : 0
core                    : 1
VCED exceptions         : not available
VCEI exceptions         : not available
VPE                     : 1

MTD data

root@Mercku:/etc# cat /proc/mtd
dev:    size   erasesize  name
mtd0: 00080000 00020000 "Bootloader"
mtd1: 00080000 00020000 "Config"
mtd2: 00080000 00020000 "Factory"
mtd3: 07e60000 00020000 "firmware"
mtd4: 00380000 00020000 "kernel"
mtd5: 07ae0000 00020000 "rootfs"
mtd6: 071e0000 00020000 "rootfs_data"

lspci output

00:00.0 PCI bridge: Device 0e8d:0801 (rev 01)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Device 0e8d:0801 (rev 01)
01:00.0 Unclassified device [0002]: MEDIATEK Corp. Device 7916
02:00.0 Unclassified device [0002]: MEDIATEK Corp. Device 7915

As you have the device in hand you will need to create a compatible build yourself.

It’s mediatek so should be possible, just a matter of creating a dts, compiling an initramfs image and testing, tweaking and testing some more until it works

I was able to get shell access. (For information pm me)

Hi skinnyquiver,

Sorry, I'm new to the forum, I own a Mercku M6 as well and really wanted to know how to get access to shell or even get another openwrt build on it, but not sure where to send you a pm. It would be nice if you could ping from your side and we can discuss more on it.

Thanks,
Leo

Hey, did you ever get anywhere with this?
If you did what have you managed to get going or do?