Looking for Gbit / multi-Gbit router available in the EU

For a All in One with full OpenWRT support that does multi gig I'm only aware of the Turris Omnia 2022.

I thought current omnias can operate their SFP cage at 2.5 Gbps (with the right sfp module), but they have neither a 2.5 Gbps switch nor a second 2.5 Gbps ethernet port.

Measurements taken a few years ago showed that sqm works on an omnia up to 500/500 Mbps for bidirectionally saturating loads (with sch_cake). Others reported up to around 1000 for unidirectional loads....

I'm talking of the 2022 model (or maybe it will be called Turris Omnia 2?) which will have a quad-core 64-bit processor, at least 4 GB of RAM, Wi-Fi 6 support, two 10GE interfaces and m.2 slots

Both OPNSense and pfSense are based on FreeBSD so in general the same hardware support applies which is more or less "any" x86 box although I would highly recommend you to stay away from Realtek NICs.

1 Like

That is more confusing than helpfull to link the specification of the old model.
As you can see here https://forum.turris.cz/t/turris-omnia-2022/15995/124 there is quite a difference between the old and the new model

it was the only specs available on turris's website.

1 Like

Well, currently to the best of my knowledge there only exist prototypes of a next generation omnia, so I would take any feature desriptions more as a statement of intent than of fact, with the current supply chain issues the question might boil down to which parts are actually attainable in the desired quantities versus which parts would be nicest to have.

ATM the published specs @KOA posted describe those omnias well you can actually buy... I would respectfully say, the coming omnia is a bit off-topic for this thread as it not currently available (in the EU or any other place). From the announcement which posted the tentative specs:
"Unfortunately, no ETA yet. But we aim for 2022."

1 Like

There is nothing else announced that would match

• device capable of >1Gbit routing
  • OpenVPN / Wireguard server support
  • Wifi 6 ( or Wifi 6E)
  • VLAN support (Guest & IoT)
  • Ability to use a local IP as the uplink DNS server (screw you TP-Link)

so off course I drop the new omnia here since it is the perfect fit and even if you wait a few months more there will be nothing comparable.

There is no ETA for the new omnia and the OP asked for "available"... so I respectfully maintain that this is not all that helpful in this thread, but with this said I will bow out.

3 Likes

I’m in the same situation as you: I prefer to use an all-in-one solution (only one router) and I’m searching for 1000mbps device. In the end I’ll wait for the new Netgear RAX120. It should be capable of QoS at 1gbps and OpenWRT support is not far I hope, here’s the discussion thread: Adding OpenWrt Support for Netgear RAX120 (Nighthawk AX12)

Thanks for bringing Turris to my attention, their stuff looks neat.

Seeing that none of the available stuff seems to be too much better equipped than the AX50 that I’m running now, and that it turns out that I need to do more research into which FOSS firmware I really want to run, recommendations of not-yet-out HW are fine by me.

EDIT: It's an AX50 / AX3000, not an AX5000

To me it looks like it’s already out (but no OpenWRT support if that’s what you mean)? It looks pretty good, but it’s a shame only one of the ports can do >1Gbps.

Yes I meant OpenWRT decent support obviously :grinning:

You can attach to it a 2,5/5/whatever gbps 4/6/!ports switch. That’s not a trouble.

.... unless it's needed it for the uplink

Surely it’s not a device future -10years- proof, but in Europe (I live in Italy) I think that something above 500/1000mbps uplink is not near. But I would be glad to be debunked :grin:

I've had 1/1gbit for the last 5+ years, at home, my ISP have been offering 10/10gbit just as long, probably longer, it was already available, when I signed up.

@shdf just upgraded to 2/1, he's in .fr - X86 device, which network chip should be chosen for "headache-free" functioning? - #62 by shdf

Woha! What a luck, where do you live? …here in Italy there are some ISPs that are offering 2,5 downlink but only 200 or 500mbps uplink!

I'm in .se.

The cold country with fast internet, and polar bears roaming the streets (not really, but it still fools people),

4 Likes

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but how would that change things?

Not that it matters right now, I only have 50Mb up.

Lucky you. I think I could get 1Gbps symmetric if I signed up for the business plan instead of the personal one, but AFAIK the price on that wouldn't be worth it. Still, the ISP says they’re expanding to 10Gbit in some places, so I'm looking forward to what the future holds.

I also have a NAS on the network that I wouldn't mind faster local access to, but the SATA drives themselves can't do much over 1Gbps anyway. (Actually now seeing that a realistic speed for a SATA drive is 600Mbps, I'm curious what magic ZFS is doing to get me up to 1Gbps read/write haha.)