Linksys EA4500 v1 - 22.03 image 'does not contain a supported format'

I have an EA4500 v1 running 21.02.3, just tried to flash both sysupgrade and factory images of 22.03.0 but in each case the image check fails with 'The uploaded image file does not contain a supported format.'

I note the hardware page says 22.03 is the current release but the link to firmware download is still 21.02 for the V1. V2 links to the 22.03 release which I assume I've downloaded (via direct package download).

This is a little confusing since AFAIK there has always been one image for both hardware revisions in the past.

So is this just a 22.03 is not supported yet on the V1?
Or does V1 reach the end of the line at 21.02.3?

Or do I just need to factory 'force upgrade' to a new layout?

What did the exact full error message say.

If it is about DSA/swconfig config change, there is a clear note about it.
Similarly, if it is about partition changes, there is an explanation.

It's not the swconfig/DSA message - I believe kirkwood went through that transition at 21.02.

Message in Yellow:

Tue Sep 6 12:26:30 BST 2022 upgrade: Image metadata not present Tue Sep 6 12:26:30 BST 2022 upgrade: Use sysupgrade -F to override this check when downgrading or flashing to vendor firmware Image check failed.

The uploaded image file does not contain a supported format. Make sure that you choose the generic image format for your platform.

And in red:

Image check failed:
Tue Sep 6 12:26:30 BST 2022 upgrade: Image metadata not present Tue Sep 6 12:26:30 BST 2022 upgrade: Use sysupgrade -F to override this check when downgrading or flashing to vendor firmware Image check failed.

And then the Force upgrade checkbox and message.

The sha256 checksum is identical, so doesn't appear to be simple corruption.

That sounds like the factory image error, not one for the sysupgrade image.

It was yes, I'll try sysupgrade too.

Looking over the full changelog it seems like the kernel partition may need to be enlarged?
https://git.openwrt.org/?p=openwrt/openwrt.git;a=commitdiff;h=0dbe754e4328e1ade02b29f25f0ebc633305d5bb

Yes, but from the sysupgrade image there should the error defined in that commit:

+  DEVICE_COMPAT_VERSION := 2.0
+  DEVICE_COMPAT_MESSAGE := Partition design has changed compared to \
+       older versions (up to 21.02) due to kernel size restrictions. \
+       Upgrade via sysupgrade mechanism is not possible, so new \
+       installation via factory style image is required.
1 Like

Ah yes sysupgrade message was more expansive:

Tue Sep 6 12:45:43 BST 2022 upgrade: The device is supported, but this image is incompatible for sysupgrade based on the image version (1.1->2.0). Tue Sep 6 12:45:43 BST 2022 upgrade: Partition design has changed compared to older versions (up to 21.02) due to kernel size restrictions. Upgrade via sysupgrade mechanism is not possible, so new installation via factory style image is required. Image check failed.
The uploaded image file does not contain a supported format. Make sure that you choose the generic image format for your platform.

So I just factory upgrade and force?

Forced the factory upgrade to 22.03. Everything looks good so far, though I have yet to configure wi-fi.

EDIT: To add - everything working normally, including wireless, once set up.

Did you upgrade via LuCI or command line? If the latter, can you past the exact command?

Maybe its a good idea to update the Wiki as well?

Thx

Ramon

I upgraded via LuCI.

I don't know whether its worth adding this to the wiki, it being a bit of a one off.

The warning and error messages in LuCI do say to go ahead and force upgrade if you're sure you have the right firmware, it's just scary enough to make you double check - but then it should be.

And the full changelog for the upgrade does list the change in partition sizes and thus the reason the layout doesn't match with the existing layout.

1 Like

ok i did the same now. At first I thought i had bricked it, but i did get it working in the end. It seems to have trouble starting up now. Sometimes need to try a few times before it finally decides to boot... Maybe it is just getting old.

Ooh, that sounds like it might have failed the upgrade and be relying on the old firmware - remember these devices have dual firmware and will failover to the old working firmware if an upgrade fails. I'd have thought it would only do that once though...

What version does it say it's running when it successfully boots?

22.03. I guess its just getting old :wink:
Maybe I should flash again such that i use the other partition

They're definitely getting old :smile:

I'm dreading mine dying because it's so hard to choose a new one...

I am just using it as managed switch. I am using 2x r7800, one as router and 1 as access point in addition. . Using them with vlans and wireguard. Works fine for me. The only thing is for hw flow off loading there are only experimental builds. I am not using that, as I am fine with the speed I am getting. It is just 802.11ac speeds though. But I'm not actually sure if 802.11ax is actually much of an improvement in real life...

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.